TSN: Mutiny among players about Therrien -Now with a poll!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This is actually a nice attribute of a good GM.

Thing is though, this shouldn't be seen as a knee jerk reaction. The team has been mediocre/bad for a long time now. It's not like we were coasting along, playing well and then all of a sudden had a losing streak...

That's what is worrying me. But to be honest, I'm not surprised. Bergevin said he was satisfied with the team because they were 4th in the Standings. Anybody that paid close attention to this team could see a consistent drop in performance and scoring from our team. What is currently happening was easily foreseeable. The team had been a .500 team for 3/4 of the year at the half way point, now they've been even worse than .500 for 4/5th of the season, in a complete free fall. That's not a knee jerk reaction, it's 80% of the season. Unless adjustments are made to the system, roles and lines, the best we can hope for is to win some games with our PP and goaltending again, but I won't expect us to be much better than .500.

Bobby Mac says no changes will happen unless there's a major downfall. I'm not sure I understand this. We've been playing like crap for most of the year and we're now 3pts out of PO spot, 5pts out of the 13th spot. What exactly is the limit? To fall to the bottom of the league?? Wouldn't it be smarter to salvage things earlier? Especially when you look at the issues and it's pretty much all coaching related.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
thing is, there's examples of guys who clearly dont want to, for example Muller played for us a few years, was also asst coach for a few others, considering he was interested in being a head coach, he didnt bother ? I mean, anyone else heard him say more than "meuuuurci" ? and how about Gallant, who is already here, he's not interested enough in the HC position to get a few lessons ? can't say "bonnejeur" or something ?

But why do they have to? You just said, if they announce it, they will get heat and expectations. So they don't.

Geese_Howard*

What about little known Gerard Debardeu? I also hear Gilles duceppe is free

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
How about Mark Lafleur, son of Hall of Fame player Guy Lafleur?

He'd fit right into the organization IMO, good hire.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
I say Molson should just go shock and awe on everyone and only hire unilingual anglophones starting with a new GM all the way down to the equipment managers. The fallout would be of epic proportions. It would be fascinating to watch people literally lose their minds over personnel choices in a hockey team.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I say Molson should just go shock and awe on everyone and only hire unilingual anglophones starting with a new GM all the way down to the equipment managers. The fallout would be of epic proportions. It would be fascinating to watch people literally lose their minds over personnel choices in a hockey team.

I'd be ok with french only too :nod:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 26m
McKenzie "I'm telling you right now, unless the Canadiens go horribly downhill, Bergevin will not make a coaching change in season"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 33m
McKenzie "Bergevin really prides himself on being the antithesis of a knee-jerk reaction GM."

Knee jerk reaction is a spontaneous, thoughless reaction to something that can often be detrimental to a situation, with no forethought as to the consequences.

That would be a bad thing. What's happening to the Habs now is not a knee jerk reaction. It's a reaction! This has been going on for weeks if not months now.

NOT reacting at all is even worse as there's no corrective response to what is now and has been for some time, a fundamental problem with this team.

So Bergevin's reaction is that he won't do anything because he doesn't want to react to a situation?? How does thatmake any sense. He's doing what MT does during a game and refuses to alter the game plan to adjust with what's going on.

What the **** is wrong with this team!?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Knee jerk reaction is a spontaneous, thoughless reaction to something that can often be detrimental to a situation, with no forethought as to the consequences.

That would be a bad thing. What's happening to the Habs now is not a knee jerk reaction. It's a reaction! This has been going on for weeks if not months now.

NOT reacting at all is even worse as there's no corrective response to what is now and has been for some time, a fundamental problem with this team.

So Bergevin's reaction is that he won't do anything because he doesn't want to react to a situation?? How does thatmake any sense. He's doing what MT does during a game and refuses to alter the game plan to adjust with what's going on.

Honestly, outside of the stretch in November where Price played out of his mind and our defense had a semblance of a clue.. We've been a bottom feeding team.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

You pretty much answered your own question in your post.:nod:

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
I can't recall a Habs coach in my lifetime who lasted for an extended period.

I guess Carbonneau and Martin did decently, ~200 games each.

Had a browse on wikis, there's been only one coach that's done over 300 games since Bowman left the building, and that's Pat Burns. Most coaches since 1979 have on average lasted two years, and that's rounding up.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
thing is, there's examples of guys who clearly dont want to, for example Muller played for us a few years, was also asst coach for a few others, considering he was interested in being a head coach, he didnt bother ? I mean, anyone else heard him say more than "meuuuurci" ? and how about Gallant, who is already here, he's not interested enough in the HC position to get a few lessons ? can't say "bonnejeur" or something ?

Would that make you happy? Would that give you a nice little warm feeling inside?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
From the RDS article. LOL I don't know what to say

PAR JF195827 JANV. 2014 À 17:13
Pourquoi congédier M. Michel Therrien. C'est un des 5 meilleurs de la lique?
like 7 dislike 7

To be fair, you watch RDS enough and you'll start to believe that too.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
HabsLinks ‏@HabsLinks 46s
.@FriedgeHNIC in 30 Thoughts re timing of Boucher going overseas: "It says he doesn't believe there's going to be change in Montreal."

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I can't recall a Habs coach in my lifetime who lasted for an extended period.

I guess Carbonneau and Martin did decently, ~200 games each.

Carbonneau never should have been canned, he was a scapegoat. He took a pile of Bob's crappy hockey players and kept them competitive. How many coaches know the game more than Guy, for **** sakes? He should still be behind the bench as an assistant, sharing his knowledge.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Carbonneau never should have been canned, he was a scapegoat. He took a pile of Bob's crappy hockey players and kept them competitive. How many coaches know the game more than Guy, for **** sakes? He should still be behind the bench as an assistant, sharing his knowledge.

What?

Carbonneau was the worst coach we ever had. He had, clearly, the deepest team we've had in a long time. A motivated Kovalev and he couldn't get them to do **** in the play-offs.. We squeaked by Boston (who we went 8-0 against in the season) and then folded like cheap cards against a Philly team.

There's a reason the guy has not gotten another job anywhere.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

The problem with Carbo was that he complained to the refs so much that he had a reputation amongst the officials and it affected the way games were called against us. I actually spoke to a couple officials about this and it was 100% true that they hated talking to him and thought he was a big whiner.

Obviously he could have changed, but it affected the team on the ice.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Carbo was a horribly bad tactician, Therrien might have a warped view of hockey, but Carbo was completely clueless when it comes to line formation and usage and made the Habs team with the most offensive talent of the past decade useless 5 on 5.

The best coach since 2000 has been by far Julien followed by Vigneault. They had awful teams without the crutch of Theodore that allowed Therrien to last as long as he has in the NHL. There's a reason those two have had no trouble finding work while no team wants Carbo. Though Carbo seemed to be a better motivator than Therrien.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wha... WHAT?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
That's what is worrying me. But to be honest, I'm not surprised. Bergevin said he was satisfied with the team because they were 4th in the Standings. Anybody that paid close attention to this team could see a consistent drop in performance and scoring from our team. What is currently happening was easily foreseeable. The team had been a .500 team for 3/4 of the year at the half way point, now they've been even worse than .500 for 4/5th of the season, in a complete free fall. That's not a knee jerk reaction, it's 80% of the season. Unless adjustments are made to the system, roles and lines, the best we can hope for is to win some games with our PP and goaltending again, but I won't expect us to be much better than .500.

Bobby Mac says no changes will happen unless there's a major downfall. I'm not sure I understand this. We've been playing like crap for most of the year and we're now 3pts out of PO spot, 5pts out of the 13th spot. What exactly is the limit? To fall to the bottom of the league?? Wouldn't it be smarter to salvage things earlier? Especially when you look at the issues and it's pretty much all coaching related.

The players are professional's, coaching will effect the overall performance, but the Habs have overachieved. That's the reason anyone could foresee the eventual freefall, the lack of younger Murray & Parros types to offset the advantages opponents have made drafting young PWF's & PWD's over the last two decades.

Bob McKenzie is merely repeating the ever present GM's line about delivering a winner, unless team's performance is below the projected outcome or bottom line don't expect changes. Parity be damned, the Habs aren't close yet and won't be for at least 2-3 yrs. if they are patient. If not, the fans need look no further than the TML's for their eventual outcome for it will be the same, ask Brian Burke.:(

PWD's -Power Defencemen you heard it here first!

Last edited:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
From the RDS article. LOL I don't know what to say

PAR JF195827 JANV. 2014 À 17:13
Pourquoi congédier M. Michel Therrien. C'est un des 5 meilleurs de la lique?
like 7 dislike 7

People actually go in the RDS comments section? I thought it was up there with Youtube comments in terms of stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad