OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm listening to the Pixie's album Head Carrier at the moment. I just learned that they released stuff in the last few years.Wow. This was so unexpected.I'm so out of the loop. The album sounds like typical Pixies. They don't sound like they are 30 years past their prime. Today is a great day.

What are your favorite cuts?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anybody into metal? I copied this from the main board. Wait for the chorus and be surprised.

You have to misspell "Ginger" in order to justify accessorizing your body with nose piercings, earlobe gauging and a sleeve tat.

Yes, I am surprised: why is the Cookie Monster in this song?

I was at the Gigantour at the BC a few years ago and took in 8 hours of metal bands and lot of them featured Cookie Monsters. I found it funny, more than anything. Plus a lot of singers who use that style end up burning their vocal chords, it's brutal.

I imagine this is what Gritty would sound like if he took up singing.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You have to misspell "Ginger" in order to justify accessorizing your body with nose piercings, earlobe gauging and a sleeve tat.

Yes, I am surprised: why is the Cookie Monster in this song?

I was at the Gigantour at the BC a few years ago and took in 8 hours of metal bands and lot of them featured Cookie Monsters. I found it funny, more than anything. Plus a lot of singers who use that style end up burning their vocal chords, it's brutal.

I imagine this is what Gritty would sound like if he took up singing.
I'm not a fan of growlers, or most metal, but she gets a free pass. She blew me away actually.

Reactions: Runner77

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm listening to the Pixie's album Head Carrier at the moment. I just learned that they released stuff in the last few years.Wow. This was so unexpected.I'm so out of the loop. The album sounds like typical Pixies. They don't sound like they are 30 years past their prime. Today is a great day.
My favourite Pixies cut:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I was on youtube listening to some 80's music last night and stumbled upon this Dr Hook song that I had listened to many many times back in the 80's but this was the first time I had ever seen the music video. I wonder how this video would go over if it came out now? :)

Also stumbled on this live version of Tracy Chapman singing Fast Car. Such a great voice and a great song.

Nicki Minaj sued over Tracy Chapman song

Chapman is suing Nicki Minaj.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Anybody into metal? I copied this from the main board. Wait for the chorus and be surprised.

There is no way that growl is coming from her is there? Sounds like a mans voice to me.

There's a ton of post effects on that voice, layering etc. Not that she's a bad vocalist, but I've heard similar before with less junk added on top. You'd probably like early agonist stuff, but it's not really my cup of tea. For female vocals in metal, I'm a sucker for Tarja era Nightwish and earlier arch enemy with Angela Gossow.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Nightwish I like and listen to often, but Arch Enemy I couldn't take. I like Amy Lee also, and some of Lana Lane's can be interesting.

This is not a hard rock tune from Amy and Evanescence but it is a very hauntingly dark tune that I find beautiful as much as it is dark. I am weird but oh well.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
That song has one of my all time favorite lyric: "Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken."
I don't know if you were aware of this but she wrote this song about the death of her younger sister.
Hello by Evanescence - Songfacts
She could sing the phone book and I would enjoy it, such emotion and control in her voice at the same time, I think that she has had operatic training.

Reactions: Runner77 and peate

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brockett Parsons, the keyboardist for Lady Gaga, invented this:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nightwish I like and listen to often, but Arch Enemy I couldn't take. I like Amy Lee also, and some of Lana Lane's can be interesting.

Can you please suggest some cuts from Nightwish, Amy Lee and Lana Lane, that you like?

Thanks in advance.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

This is not a hard rock tune from Amy and Evanescence but it is a very hauntingly dark tune that I find beautiful as much as it is dark. I am weird but oh well.

This is damn deep and I love it. I know just the singer who can do a cover of it. She has a gig coming up and I've just suggested it to her.

Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just found this by luck. Was reading through a Buffalo fan's twitter account, when he mentioned how he loved this band. Listened to a couple of cuts, it's smooth, laid back pop. There's a sweet vibe to it, when the mood strikes you.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Best breakup song?

Hard to pick just one, but I’ll go with “Salome” by Old 97’s if you are taking it hard.

Salome, uncross your heart
I know what goes on inside, it's over before it starts
Stay all night, yeah I'll wait right here
The full moon might work magic, girl but I won't disappear
And I'm tired of makin' friends and I'm tired of makin' time
And I'm sick to death of love and I'm sick to death of tryin'
And it's easier for you, oh it's easier for you
And it's easier for you, it's easier for you
Salome, untie my hands
Well I'll find another lady and you'll wreck another man
It's over now, yeah and so are we
My blood's turned to dirt, girl you broke every part of me
And it's easier for you, oh it's easier
And it's easier for you, yeah it's easier for you

I listen to lots of classic country so no shortage of hurting songs. I sometimes quiz my 16 year old on whether a song is hurtin’, drinkin’ or cheatin’. You have to understand the root cause.

The best post breakup recovery song has to be “Positively 4th Street” by Dylan.

Speaking of Dylan, I don’t think any song captures a strange relationship like Joan Baez “Diamonds and Rust”. If you have someone in your life who comes in and out of it as the years pass, that’s the song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad