OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
nice

I can't share them here but you guys really should have seen the results of my Coeur de pirate investigation

2621f1d18824712c5778c2cad98ff815_large.jpeg

What do you mean by investigation? I do know a few pics from suic****girls though :sarcasm:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Was thinking about this song when Runner posted about Ovechkin buying a coat for a homeless guy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Always had a soft spot for this. How could you not, just hits the right notes. I know, it's been overplayed to death. But, had been a while I hadn't listened to it.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Always had a soft spot for this. How could you not, just hits the right notes. I know, it's been overplayed to death. But, had been a while I hadn't listened to it.

Anyone here that like Squeeze, that's another of my favorite popbands.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Fun song to play also, but theirs is my least favorite version, I prefer this one:

and this one is cute, Miley at her best when she hits those low notes.

What can I say, I prefer girls. :naughty::laugh:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Since we're in the mood for local girls. Stumbled on this while listening to a favourite radio/podcast show today.

La Voix/Star Académie and the likes are too cheesy for me to watch, but you've got to admit every now and then they manage to uncover good artists. I believe Valérie Carpentier won a few years back.

The thematic of this song reminds me of a classic of my teenage years from Helmut Fritz.

Another song I like from her is "Le Rendez-vous" (or simply Rendez-vous?).

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
La Voix/Star Académie and the likes are too cheesy for me to watch, but you've got to admit every now and then they manage to uncover good artists. I believe Valérie Carpentier won a few years back.
I like that 1st song, nice rythm to it.

Here's another La Voix winner I really like, she got me the minute I heard her do Amy Winehouse.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Caught this on Kimmel last evening -- man, does she ever kill it. Fate by H.E.R. .

Stay with it, as it's got a lot of sweet build-ups and nice back-up vocals.

Like LeHab says, "you'll thank me later." :D

Reactions: peate

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In my quest to move across the music spectrum, I was lucky to find this artist as I was channel-surfing and he happened to have a special on PBS:

Pavlo Simtikidis (Pavlo) (born June 29, 1969) is a guitarist who plays, "a Mediterranean sound mixing the folkloric styles of Greek, Spanish and Latin music with pop sensibilities." Born in Toronto, Canada, he is the son of Greek immigrants ...

I watched Pavlo in Kastoria, a concert he gave from his parents's hometown. He used to vacation there as a kid with his parents. I had not realized he was Canadian until after the first pause in PBS's money drive.

Love the different influences in his sound. And there wasn't a dull moment, there were several guest artists playing a variety of instruments that added to the magic of his evening.

During the pauses, he was interviewed by these anal-retentive PBS hosts who were busy peddling "sustainer" subscriptions -- and he would just randomly blurt out "Opaaaaaaa!!!!!!!" and then break a plate. :laugh: The guy is really charismatic and knows how to connect to an audience. He has 14 albums to his credit.

On one particular segment, he goes into the audience, where his parents are sitting and plays for them. You can see both parents fighting back tears, it was an incredibly moving moment. The son of immigrants going back to his parents's home country -- doesn't get any better than that.

Here's one of the songs that he played in Kastoria.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pavlo had tenor and fellow Canadian Remigio Pereira join him on stage and they brought back this version of Mireille Mathieu's classic from the 70s, Acropolis Adieu:

Not to be outdone, Remigio Pereira plays a mean guitar:

And, we can see Canadian roots in Pavlo's music as he plays Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind. His Kastoria concert performance of this is not on Y/T but here is the album version:

I don't even seek out this type of music normally and must admit I am pleasantly surprised.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Just listened to Magnifique de Ratatat. It's great. Just as good as the others, they're so consistent it's crazy.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I don't know what it is with young Asian girls and drums but they never cease to amaze me. Listen to this classic, she barely reaches the bass drum pedal. :laugh:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My friend is going to see Yorke live tomorrow on his new tour at Kings Theater in Brooklyn.

I'm jealous as f***.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK

You can't beat a bit of Jamiroquai. Saw them live at the O2 last year and the whole place was rocking - they've still got it even now after all these years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My friend is going to see Yorke live tomorrow on his new tour at Kings Theater in Brooklyn.

I'm jealous as ****.

What is Yorke? Can you provide a little more background and a track you like.

Thanks in advance.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He made a solo album like 10 years ago (welp in 2006) and he has a new one coming up (or already released idk). I edited my post and put up an old song

I have family members who are really hooked on Radiohead. I've never followed the band all that closely, so it eluded me that Yorke had a solo project going.

The band continues to have a strong following, I wonder what caused him to do fly solo.

Thanks for posting the song.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What is Yorke? Can you provide a little more background and a track you like.

Thanks in advance.
Yup, I was referring to Thom Yorke.

As for the second part of your request, I can't do that. I've idolized the band ever since OK Computer was first released . I've traveled the world to hear them perform live anywhere from Japan and to South Africa. There are simply too many songs to name here that I like of theirs.

Yorke's solo career is not nearly as distinguished IMO. This is his best solo song IMO and I do not think it's close frankly.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I have family members who are really hooked on Radiohead. I've never followed the band all that closely, so it eluded me that Yorke had a solo project going.

The band continues to have a strong following, I wonder what caused him to do fly solo.

Thanks for posting the song.

This gives him the chance to create different songs without associating his solo stuff to Radiohead (I feel like I don't make any sense). As a Radiohead fan, I bought the Eraser back then but it felt like a Radiohead album overall. This new Yorke album is something else. Like really. I'm listening to some songs out of curiosity but I'm really not in the mood to listen to such stuff. As a sidenote, Johnny Greenwood, Radiohead's "lead" guitarist, has also made some solo stuff. He most notably composed There Will Be Blood's soundtrack.

I should say that I didn't like much Radiohead's last album. OK Computer and In Rainbows are my favorites. I've listened to In Rainbows soooooo many times. It's probably the album I've listened the most in the last 10 years. A few other honorable mentions (as any albums/artists):

Golden Age by Woodkid
Synthetica by Metric
1184 by Windir (that's black metal though)
Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (yep some black/doom metal again)
Brothers by the Black Keys
Second Contribution by Shawn Phillips (really love that album, 5 stars easily)
the Sham Mirrors by Arcturus (black metal again)
Funeral by Arcade Fire
Labyrinthe by Malajube
Beethoven Last's Night by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
My Head is an Animal by Of Monsters and Men

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodKiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad