Music Thread Pt. II

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
RIP Dickey Betts.

Massive contributor to American music. A giant among giants.

I didn't hear that yet today - sorry to hear it. I guess that makes Jaimoe the last surviving member of the original band? As much as he makes the "greatest ever" lists up near the top, Duane was probably underrated himself, but Dickey even more so.

BTW, I can't recall ever seeing Dickey playing a Strat before? Only SGs and Les Pauls. That video is news to me!

If you've never seen it before, there are a couple of videos of the ABB on the Johnny Carson show where they do a song as just the band and then the Tonight Show Band joins them for a second number. It's pretty cool to see Doc Severenson jamming with Dickey!

I'm so jealous of all you mofos who were able to see these bands live in their prime AND Islander Stanley Cups.
I'm guessing it's a long shot that anyone on this board saw the original ABB with Duane and Berry Oakley, if that makes you feel better. But yeah, I saw the ABB at the NVMC around maybe '78 or '79, and the Cups.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I didn't hear that yet today - sorry to hear it. I guess that makes Jaimoe the last surviving member of the original band? As much as he makes the "greatest ever" lists up near the top, Duane was probably underrated himself, but Dickey even more so.

BTW, I can't recall ever seeing Dickey playing a Strat before? Only SGs and Les Pauls. That video is news to me!

If you've never seen it before, there are a couple of videos of the ABB on the Johnny Carson show where they do a song as just the band and then the Tonight Show Band joins them for a second number. It's pretty cool to see Doc Severenson jamming with Dickey!

I'm guessing it's a long shot that anyone on this board saw the original ABB with Duane and Berry Oakley, if that makes you feel better. But yeah, I saw the ABB at the NVMC around maybe '78 or '79, and the Cups.
Nice, I'll check out those Johnny Carson clips.

By the way, the ABB version with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes was incredible. One of their finest periods IMO.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Nice, I'll check out those Johnny Carson clips.

By the way, the ABB version with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes was incredible. One of their finest periods IMO.
That makes sense. Those 2 guys are probably in the same talent ballpark as Duane and Dickey circa 1970-71. I've seen videos of that incarnation but never saw them live. I still need to see Trucks Tedeschi Band live - I had tix and stayed long enough to see their opening act one night but had to leave before they took the stage (long story).

BTW, I should mention that if I had to pick my favorite all-time song, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed from Fillmore East could be it - top 5 for sure. And Dickey wrote that.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
BTW, I should mention that if I had to pick my favorite all-time song, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed from Fillmore East could be it - top 5 for sure. And Dickey wrote that.
Whats your top 5 then?
KAV1gQX.gif

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

True, I'm probably overestimating some of your ages. Still seeing ABB in the 70's is pretty great enough, did you see Little Feat with The Fatman?

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Whats your top 5 then?
KAV1gQX.gif
Okay, here's a shot at that, not in order, and forgetting plenty I'm sure, limiting myself to no more than 1 song by a single artist/band, and no way can I keep it to five:

*In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - ABB (lots of others of theirs)
*Telegraph Road - Dire Straits
*Voodoo Chile - SRV
*Spain - Chick Corea/Return to Forever
*Queen of the Highway - Doors
*Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning (electric) or Song for the Fire Maiden - Hot Tuna
*Cause We Ended as Lovers - Jeff Beck
*Any Major Dude Will Tell You - Steely Dan (or any one of dozens of theirs)

Other songs and/or artists I really like:
*Appalachian Spring - Copland or Rhapsody in Blue/American in Paris - Gershwin (tossup)
*While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles
*China Cat Sunflower/Know You Rider - Grateful Dead
*Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett
*In the Wee Small Hours - Sinatra
*Sitting in Limbo - Jimmy Cliff
*Wayfaring Stranger - Johnny Cash (could've been any number of his songs - Man Comes Around, etc.)
*Do You Feel Like We Do - Frampton (I was alive in 1976 :laugh:)
*Rest in You - All Sons and Daughters
*5:15 - The Who
*Pressure Drop - Toots and the Maytals
*The Mango Song - Phish
*Birdland - Weather Report
*Roxanne - The Police
*Georgia- Ray Charles
*Edelweis - TSoM (sentimental reasons, but actually a great song too)
*War Pigs - Black Sabbath (never really a fan, but gotta admit this is a great song)
*It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones
*One Tree Hill - U2

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I saw a ton of Allman shows. I recall Dickie playing a yellow strat a few times. He was also pitching PRS guitars for a while and played those a few times, probably required.

But the Allmans are all about Gibson sound.

Last edited:

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Anyone do RSD this year?

I wanted the At-The Drive In LP, but they were out. I did get the Ramones 75 demos (sound great: clear and crisp), and the Didjits 2xLP (mostly for the demos.)

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Anyone do RSD this year?

I wanted the At-The Drive In LP, but they were out. I did get the Ramones 75 demos (sound great: clear and crisp), and the Didjits 2xLP (mostly for the demos.)
I went to my local store and it was a zoo. Line a round the block waiting to get in, cars parked 4-5 blocks away... I kept driving lol.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I went to my local store and it was a zoo. Line a round the block waiting to get in, cars parked 4-5 blocks away... I kept driving lol.
There's a record store one block from me. I poked my head out the window at 8 and saw a line maybe half a block long, so I sauntered over at like 10. Still lots left, but I guess I should have gotten in line if I wanted that At The Drive-In LP.

And, I agree. Not a ton that was super interesting. Some stuff I wouldn't mind having, but I'm not paying $30 for.

Reactions: Nizami Ganjavi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad