Music Thread Pt. II

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
IMO, the last really good Metallica album was Master of Puppets.

Justice was ok but filled with too much musical masturbation and show-offy intros and crap.

The Black album was a Bob Rock album, decent hard rock record that I enjoyed as such, but not very thrash and not very Metallica.

Everything since can be summarized with the poop emoji…

I did like death magnetic. Hardwired had a few decent ones. Both are better than this

Reactions: JKP

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
That's cool. Still got snow on the mountains here too. Blows my mind.
Boise is a cool town. A friend of mine moved up there and said it reminds him of Reno 10-12 years ago. Reno is now expensive, crowded with Californians, and crime in certain areas have increased. Yep, ski reports are still on the radio.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Boise is a cool town. A friend of mine moved up there and said it reminds him of Reno 10-12 years ago. Reno is now expensive, crowded with Californians, and crime in certain areas have increased. Yep, ski reports are still on the radio.
Yeah, I moved out here about a year ago. When I tell people I just moved here, they give me the stink-eye until I tell them I'm not from California. It's growing fast. Lots of construction.
igHyj7V.jpg

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I know a couple folks here were Genesis fans when I was talking about them a while ago. I saw The Musical Box (an officially licensed tribute band Genesis themselves have endorsed) play the complete Lamb Lies Down On Broadway last night. It was amazing.

Highly recommend if you’re a Genesis fan (esp the PG era).

I believe they’re in NY on Jun 16 and 17. I was blown away by how good they were.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
I know a couple folks here were Genesis fans when I was talking about them a while ago. I saw The Musical Box (an officially licensed tribute band Genesis themselves have endorsed) play the complete Lamb Lies Down On Broadway last night. It was amazing.

Highly recommend if you’re a Genesis fan (esp the PG era).

I believe they’re in NY on Jun 16 and 17. I was blown away by how good they were.
Thanks for the reminder! Gonna have to check that out .

Just saw Haken in Soho (amazing!)and will see Ghost for the second time in August.

Reactions: JKP

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not a country fan but really enjoying Zach Bryan. More of like Americana genre. My son turned me on to him as we driving back from Palm Springs to Northern Nevada. Cool road trip music with the snow capped Sierras.
My son is a Zach Bryan fan too, and I liked the little I've heard of him so far. I'm not a "country fan" per se, but I like some old Hank Williams stuff and Johnny Cash is great. And Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" is one of the all-time great albums. I've been listening to that a lot lately. Not entirely unrelated, I just saw "Once Upon a Time in the West" recently - wow, what a great movie that is. Also a great Dire Straits song. ;)

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
My son is a Zach Bryan fan too, and I liked the little I've heard of him so far. I'm not a "country fan" per se, but I like some old Hank Williams stuff and Johnny Cash is great. And Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" is one of the all-time great albums. I've been listening to that a lot lately. Not entirely unrelated, I just saw "Once Upon a Time in the West" recently - wow, what a great movie that is. Also a great Dire Straits song. ;)
It's really funny how country became "cool" with the bro country of Florida Georgia Line with Cruise in 2013.

Now the pendulum has completely swung the other way and now the no production acoustic sound (basically Tik Tok format) of Zach Bryan is the "cool" country.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's really funny how country became "cool" with the bro country of Florida Georgia Line with Cruise in 2013.

Now the pendulum has completely swung the other way and now the no production acoustic sound (basically Tik Tok format) of Zach Bryan is the "cool" country.

I think more people have found different styles of country to appreciate, at least in my age group. Things that have more of a folk sound are more popular than I ever remember them being.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I think more people have found different styles of country to appreciate, at least in my age group. Things that have more of a folk sound are more popular than I ever remember them being.
I agree. Sturgill Simpson laid the groundwork, Tyler Childers followed, Chris Stapleton got everyone to dip their toe in and then Tik Tok allowed the younger generation to find Zach.

Between Appalachian country and Texas / Red Dirt, there a bunch of different styles to find and enjoy.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
now the no production acoustic sound (basically Tik Tok format) of Zach Bryan is the "cool" country.
And that goes back to Willie and "Red Headed Stranger"! ;)

I saw a decent amount of the Country Music documentary series on PBS a couple of years ago. It was really interesting. "Country Music" is basically a regional roots music. The current "no production" trend probably just goes back to the roots before Nashville and production took over. That documentary made it seem like Chet Atkins (as a producer) upped the production values in country music, and Willie turned things back with "RHS". As you said in the other post, there are lots of regional variations. So yeah, it's just regional American roots music.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Whomst do you consider Hair Metal? I want to listen.
Whomst? I think you lose points for that word.

Some of my favs (and songs you might know) from back in the day:

LA Guns - Ballad of Jayne, Kiss my Love Goodbye, Rip n Tear
Great White - Once Bitten (cover), Lady Red Light, House of Broken Love
Cinderella - Don't know what you got, Gypsy Road
Tesla - What You Give, Signs (cover), Love Song
Warrant - Cherry Pie, Uncle Toms Cabin, Down Boys
Extreme - (NUNO!),More than Words, Get the Funk Out, Decadence Dance

And more "successful" Hair Metal Bands, some of which I despise:

Motley Crue
Kiss
Bon Jovi
Poison
Def Leppard
Van Halen - (yes, they are hair metal to me)

Don't necessarily want these bands back -- but there ain't nothing wrong with 4 chords, distortion, easy solos, and some silly lyrics.

Just nuthin' but a good time, as they say....

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Still waiting for Hair Metal to come back. <looks at watch>

It's not hair metal but I saw Rival Sons last night and they do indeed bring the RAWK. Saw them at the Nokia...wait, the Playstation...no, the Best Buy....hmmmm....Palladium in Times Square

Big Wreck was playing the Grammercy and they're a stellar hard rock band.

Still no aqua net in sight but we have ozone layer problems...

Attachments

• 1685743503798.jpeg
    1685743503798.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1685743523310.jpeg
    1685743523310.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's not hair metal but I saw Rival Sons last night and they do indeed bring the RAWK. Saw them at the Nokia...wait, the Playstation...no, the Best Buy....hmmmm....Palladium in Times Square

Big Wreck was playing the Grammercy and they're a stellar hard rock band.

Still no aqua net in sight but we have ozone layer problems...
What's up brother. Rival Sons do indeed rock. Love em. Seeing them in a couple weeks. Also seeing Bagmen. Gorman's new outfit with Luther. They got some good shit cooking...

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
What's up brother. Rival Sons do indeed rock. Love em. Seeing them in a couple weeks. Also seeing Bagmen. Gorman's new outfit with Luther. They got some good shit cooking...

What's up right back at you!

Cool. Didn't even know that about Gorman/Luther. Wore my NMAS shirt last night to the show! Saw them at the Belly Up in SD a couple of months ago. Man, they are just one fun band to bounce around to for three hours.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What's up right back at you!

Cool. Didn't even know that about Gorman/Luther. Wore my NMAS shirt last night to the show! Saw them at the Belly Up in SD a couple of months ago. Man, they are just one fun band to bounce around to for three hours.

Hell yeah. I saw an interview with Luther from a couple of years ago. Talking about COVID and how hard it was for touring musicians. Said he had to sell a bunch of guitars and gear. Then talked about how he's still making music and that "it's been awesome man!" f***ing guy is always so positive and it comes through in his playing. I'll see that guy anytime.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
RIP to my man Jimmy Buffett.

I know most will roll their eyes at the commercialization of one single song but man those first 4 Key West albums are awesome. Sure he got goofy later on but songs like Brahma Fear, The Wino and I Know, Pirate Looks at Forty, He Went to Paris, Cliches, The Captain and the Kid, Havana Daydreamin' are pure storytelling-songwriting gold.

Sail on JB. Fins up forever.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
RIP to my man Jimmy Buffett.

I know most will roll their eyes at the commercialization of one single song but man those first 4 Key West albums are awesome. Sure he got goofy later on but songs like Brahma Fear, The Wino and I Know, Pirate Looks at Forty, He Went to Paris, Cliches, The Captain and the Kid, Havana Daydreamin' are pure storytelling-songwriting gold.

Sail on JB. Fins up forever.

Michael McCloud was my Key West music man .. nothing better than beers at the Schooner Wharf Bar listen8ng to Michael then late night Conch Fritters at Jimmys followed by morning breakfast at the hippie house …., that was my 80s and 90s . Haven’t been there in 25 years but if I close my eyes I am there now as if it were only yesterday .. Key West my favorite place in on the planet . I still look at real estate there . RIP JB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad