Music Thread Pt. II

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
RIP Eric Carmen of the Raspberries, and creator of processed pre-wrapped cheese slice ballads. He outlived Alex Chilton by 14 years, and that is one measure of the cost of being "cool".

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I've been on a Skids bender lately for some reason. Maybe the saints are coming into the valley while working for the yankee dollar playing circus games.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Just want to say that I'm not a big metal fan. At least not since middle school in the 80's listening to the likes of Iron Maiden etc.

But Maiden on their Future Past Tour this year have a Mongolian Folk Metal band called "The Hu" as their opening act. I absolutely unabashedly love what they are putting out...

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Just want to say that I'm not a big metal fan. At least not since middle school in the 80's listening to the likes of Iron Maiden etc.

But Maiden on their Future Past Tour this year have a Mongolian Folk Metal band called "The Hu" as their opening act. I absolutely unabashedly love what they are putting out...

That's pretty cool.

Reactions: CupHolders

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Can't say I ever expected to hear something like that, pretty interesting.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Can't say I ever expected to hear something like that, pretty interesting.
I started out digging their metal vibe. But then got deeper into their catalog of folk.

My understanding is that traditional folk music and customs were banned under communist rule which ended in 1989.

Following that, there was a renewed effort to recapture and preserve art, culture and customs. So the band is made of highly skilled musicians trained in classical Mongolian folk. They also happened to be metal fans, and decided to incorporate the two.

I think their music has so much layering of sounds from the various traditional instruments. Even the throat singing lends itself well as another expression of instrumentation.

They re-released their first album as an instrumental only. That’s my next intended listen.

Other than that, I’m also listening to an alternative pop-rock artist from New Zealand who goes by Fazerdaze (Amelia Murray, actual name).

I strongly suggest her to anyone who enjoyed the 80’s/90’s shoegaze music era. She takes that style and builds on it…

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I started out digging their metal vibe. But then got deeper into their catalog of folk.

My understanding is that traditional folk music and customs were banned under communist rule which ended in 1989.

Following that, there was a renewed effort to recapture and preserve art, culture and customs. So the band is made of highly skilled musicians trained in classical Mongolian folk. They also happened to be metal fans, and decided to incorporate the two.

I think their music has so much layering of sounds from the various traditional instruments. Even the throat singing lends itself well as another expression of instrumentation.

They re-released their first album as an instrumental only. That’s my next intended listen.

Other than that, I’m also listening to an alternative pop-rock artist from New Zealand who goes by Fazerdaze (Amelia Murray, actual name).

I strongly suggest her to anyone who enjoyed the 80’s/90’s shoegaze music era. She takes that style and builds on it…

It's not quite the same sound but I think you should check out Mitski's newest album if you haven't heard it already.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Ill be at both local maiden shows bc theyre the best band in the world. Bc of this I started listening to a little of the Hu and i like it.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Actually did score Pulp tickets. After seeing Ride (awful), with Charlatans UK (good) recently I'm getting to see a bunch of the 90s Britpop bands I missed back in the day. Alas, no hope at a Catatonia reunion, so I'll settle for the real thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad