OT: Music Sharing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
That was cool Tinfish. It gave me a big ol grin with a nod to the Ace of Spades at 1:49....just in case you missed it!! It was certainly different. Wish these guys were around when I was teaching an Indian student in Millwoods back in the 90's. But I had fun learning some East Indian tunes to teach him for his family band.

Nice Avy BTW. Some of my buddies were into SNFU back in the day.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
That must have been a spoof! It was like an East Indian Spinal Tap video with the tiger theme. That drum beat was amazing.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

As with all power metal, it's only there for the guitar solo(s).

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Damn Syz. I break **** like this down every time I listen to any tune. Starts off with almost a Western based Boston theme, goes into some Neo Classical power and very melodic vocals with a reminiscence of some of the Paganini I listened to when I was into Malmsteen. Breaking 'er up with a bridge and a key change before the soaring Neo Classical style of the 1st dual lead, and swerving into a New Age of British Metal type lead for the 2nd shorter one, and carrying the base Melody of the song with powerful and beautifully melodic vocals. All carried by a pretty solid rhythm section. All of that with a bit of a older school Progressive rock feel.
I don't usually dig too much of the speed picking Asian market style stuff, but this is quite a bit deeper and well honed than that.

Either that or maybe I'm just hearing things. :D

Really tasty for music from that region that I've heard.

Just my 2 bits for what it's worth.

EDIT: Oh yeah. That's what I got from it with 1 listen through. So I may be off on a couple of specifics.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Cat Power

Eclectic performer, and I mention this because she's playing Interstellar Rodeo and her act can be hit and miss including walking off the stage, and she's worked through a lot of life challenges but, very talented'

This from latest album;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqlZXpbJrMo

To me Chan Marshall is the female version of "Beck" who I also love.

This a previous track I like;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-mirsWAztw

Last edited:

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
That was cool Tinfish. It gave me a big ol grin with a nod to the Ace of Spades at 1:49....just in case you missed it!! It was certainly different. Wish these guys were around when I was teaching an Indian student in Millwoods back in the 90's. But I had fun learning some East Indian tunes to teach him for his family band.

Nice Avy BTW. Some of my buddies were into SNFU back in the day.

Good ear. Snfu will always be my favorite edmonton band. Heck, they might be my favorite canadian band. Do you still play? What kinda gear you rock?

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Here's a couple Snfu tracks for those that haven't heard them. They're a punk band from Edmonton. Started in 81 I believe.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Good ear. Snfu will always be my favorite edmonton band. Heck, they might be my favorite canadian band. Do you still play? What kinda gear you rock?

Yeah I play and teach. Gear...well:

'79 LP Deluxe
A cheap ($50) Squire Affinity I picked up for 50 bones and recently completed the repaint/finish. Gonna be installing 2 Dimarzio 61 and 1 Virtual Vintage 54 hum cancelling single coil pickups.....and more:

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/project-to-affinity-and-beyond.77839/

This is where it's at right now, original was Black:

Copper%20Shielding%20complete_zpsgkulygid.jpg

LTD Viper 54 Bass
2001 Seagull S6
2006 A&L CW Cedar Q1 (Another pawn shop deal that was awesome)

Blackstar HT20 Studio Head w/ HTV212 cab
Peavey VK 112 w/ Celestion V30
Peavey Bandit 65 - Anyone who played in the 80's knows this line
Tweed Fender Blues Jr. III Limited Edition

1980's MIJ Boss DS2
Visual Sound VS-XO Distortion
TC Flashback and Polytune2

Too much other stuff to list as far as effects goes, including a crappy Line 6 POD HD300, POD2 which blows the 300 away, 90's Digitech GSP Legend 21....etc ad nauseum

I really have to sell off some of this stuff. :laugh:

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
there's a group called Gregorian who have done a ton of covers of pop n rock songs in style or chanting and they did a cool version of Rammstein's Stripped

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
>>>Checks first page
>>>Sees Stratovarius posted on the first page

c128357156f24b18838decfc41e5572f.jpg

Great thread! :handclap:

I scrolled through it all (didn't have the time to listen that much but I'll get back at it next week) to see what has been posted and was very positively surprised to see a lot of new bands I've never heard about, and especially some local bands.

Being a Finn I naturally like my metal :yo:, but I've grown to like almost all genres. And I definitely love to wtf my friends by playing them something completely random (the guy who posted German rap, I salute you), so please keep it coming and post some (internationally speaking) little-known bands too. I'll try to share some at least relatively not mainstream stuff instead of Nightwish & Children of Bodom in return (yes, in Finland CoB is considered mainstream). :laugh:

I noticed a lot of you like metal, so I'll start with that:
Tarot - Wings of Darkness
The bass player/vocalist is Marco from Nightwish, this is his original band. The song itself is actually from 1986, this remake was done as a 25-year-anniversary because they (naturally) had never made a video of it.

Then on to some a bit lighter stuff:
Von Hertzen Brothers - New Day Rising
A great rock band whose members are relatively famous from other Finnish bands. I can't understand why this has so few views, the song is awesome!

Someone asked for hip hop. That's not exactly my favorite, I've only grown to enjoy some rap-"ish" tunes now when Finnish hip hop artists have finally understood that a) 95% of them are so bad in English that it sounds horrendous and b) rapping about ghetto stuff in Finnish is just stupid because there are very little such areas in here, so they don't take themselves too seriously anymore and just make stuff that is humorous. This one is possibly the only exception, being a rather old song but I instantly liked it:
REdrama - Hang It Up
The guys English is pretty decent for a Finn and I like the beat. Yeah, it definitely has an Eminem-kind of feel to it, but what can you do if you're a small white guy. :laugh:

And as a bonus piece, here is a sample of what I meant when I said "stuff that is humorous":
Kuningas Pähkinä & Setä Tamu - Ollaan Kaikki Pinkkejä Sisältä
It's a lyric video, so go ahead and dare your friends to sing it along in a party (preferably post results)! I promise it will be hilarious. :laugh: BTW, the song title means "we're all pink in the inside". :naughty: :D

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
@ Ghost Division.....that's really wicked stuff. Some shades of Louis Armstrong in that guys voice. Wow.

Gotta be someone here who digs Phil X and the Drills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany