OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not a Stones fan but I love a great number of their tunes and the influence they brought to some music in my generation. Then there's Keef, who hollds a special plzce in my heart for various reasons.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This song has been featured in endless movies but "Good Morning Vietnam" was my favorite.

Forgot to add that there are all kinds of people in this World (white, black, Republican, Democrat, Conservative, Liberal etc. etc.) who should give this song (Wonderful World) a good listen and ask themselves if this isn't a pretty good tune to have playing in your head when you have your morning shower.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Forgot to add that there are all kinds of people in this World (white, black, Republican, Democrat, Conservative, Liberal etc. etc.) who should give this song (Wonderful World) a good listen and ask themselves if this isn't a pretty good tune to have playing in your head when you have your morning shower.

Not a bad way to ago. Few songs are as appreciative of life as this one and its aptly named and a classic. If we sent one song in a space time capsule encapsulating what the joy of human life could be its the honest depiction in this song. Timeless.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Read a Zakk Wylde interview the other day and he mentions Frank Marino is a top 3 guitarist for him, who? Been going through his catalogue since, how the hell didn't I know about this guy before. smh, Canadian to boot.

[

Frank Marino, Mahogany Rush were great. I was young and got into him with the World Anthem album. But I've listened to a lot since.

I've cited the artist and Album before here. If you can ever get a hold of a copy its worth it. Hard to get complete album online. Some tracks;

[/QUOTE]

In anycase the 70's were so packed with great music its easy to miss some artists. A lot of these get rediscovered years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah. Marino's a legend to a number of guitarists going back to his Mahogany Rush days. Glad this new BluRay is finally released. Been looking forward to it for a bit. This tune is from the the What's Next album, which is the first Marino I heard when I was in High School. This is one that twisted me towards his playing big time when I first heard him. He got a lot a flack from some folks for a few covers he did for whatever reason. Couple of the older guys here might know the answer to that.

This will be the only time I'll say maybe I'm not old enough but I'm not recalling anything specific, and there was no internet back then, and only mags like Creem to get any rock news from.

What Marino did get flak from, and that hampered his whole career was the notion that Canadians couldn't be such great artists, or so great at anything. Part of our national inferiority complex even though we had Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Guess Who, BTO, Rush, etc.

Specious reason to link this great video of a fantastic timeless tune;

So Frank Marino, a Canadian playing all these killer tunes and being King Bee on it all, that kind of maybe didn't translate well. But Frank Marino knew he was good, and legendary, and if the world needed to catch up, well..;)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This will be the only time I'll say maybe I'm not old enough but I'm not recalling anything specific, and there was no internet back then, and only mags like Creem to get any rock news from.

What Marino did get flak from, and that hampered his whole career was the notion that Canadians couldn't be such great artists, or so great at anything. Part of our national inferiority complex even though we had Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Guess Who, BTO, Rush, etc.

Specious reason to link this great video of a fantastic timeless tune;

So Frank Marino, a Canadian playing all these killer tunes and being King Bee on it all, that kind of maybe didn't translate well. But Frank Marino knew he was good, and legendary, and if the world needed to catch up, well..;)

Thanks. I got the notion at some point that a lot of people were shitting on him for doing covers. But that definitely could have been gleaned from the internet so my point of reference might be off. I didn't get into Marino until about 1986 or so but he was always held in very high regard in the magazines like Guitar Player and Guitar for the Practicing Musician etc...never was into some of those other music mags but Cream and a couple of others were pretty killer in the day.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I was just linking Warren Zevon songs on the last page. One of my faves as well. Lucky enough to see the legend at Rock Circus in Commonwealth stadium. Long time ago..

Dohh, sorry, I missed it. I deke in and out of this thread ... all I can say is a I guess my ....

Zevon is an amazing storyteller with a wicked sense of humor. Every appearance on David Letterman was/is must see viewing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RIP Toots Hibbert who gave us this canon toonage & redone by the Specials. Thinking about his passing led me to Warren Zevon and duplicating others on this thread which I missed (sorry guys!)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dohh, sorry, I missed it. I deke in and out of this thread ... all I can say is a I guess my ....

Zevon is an amazing storyteller with a wicked sense of humor. Every appearance on David Letterman was/is must see viewing.

Got into Zevon as a teen. His sardonic look at the world being of course irresistible to a thinking teen. Which apparently is a rare enough species because no teenagers I knew were listening to his albums.

Which is odd because it was so rebellious, but with some nuance. Maybe he would have translated better today, who knows. He didn't have a huge following, but did in the music community and the fans that did love him were diehard. The world knows about "Werewolves of London" the world thinks he's a flash in the pan one hit wonder. The world that similarly thinks Beck was just a Loser. pun intended.

Beck to me seems like the progeny of Warren Zevon. I can't think of one without the other.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Got into Zevon as a teen. His sardonic look at the world being of course irresistible to a thinking teen. Which apparently is a rare enough species because no teenagers I knew were listening to his albums.

Which is odd because it was so rebellious, but with some nuance. Maybe he would have translated better today, who knows. He didn't have a huge following, but did in the music community and the fans that did love him were diehard. The world knows about "Werewolves of London" the world thinks he's a flash in the pan one hit wonder. The world that similarly thinks Beck was just a Loser. pun intended.

Beck to me seems like the progeny of Warren Zevon. I can't think of one without the other.

Well he was just an Excitable Boy lol. He was revered by musicians for his vivid song writing and talents. Letterman introduced me to Zevon and the guy was simply an original thinker too smart and wicked for mainstream radio beyond "Werewolves of London." I've read a couple books about him - most def led a rock and roll lifestyle. I haven't drawn the line to Beck, who I like, and will have to ponder that one a bit. Wish I would have seen Zevon ... his last touring performance was at Calgary Folk Festival in 2002. He had a jaundiced eye about the world and intelligence to put it into compelling song writing and great music. What he could write about 2020.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

When you look at the "comments" section from so many of those melodic love songs from the 1960's and 70's (on Youtube)--it's fascinating to see how many people leave messages looking for long lost loves.

I always liked this one, the haunting falsetto voice in this dreamy song that wakes every morning, looking for her somewhere. I wonder if the girl was ever real or just a fantasy?

Its cool to think that she might be watching the thread and get into contact with him after 50 years. Sometimes on these oldies songs guys will actually leave their names and numbers searching for her.

Ah yes, those Midnight Confessions, when I'm telling the World that I love you. Another favorite of mine.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

When you look at the "comments" section from so many of those melodic love songs from the 1960's and 70's (on Youtube)--it's fascinating to see how many people leave messages looking for long lost loves.

I always liked this one, the haunting falsetto voice in this dreamy song that wakes every morning, looking for her somewhere. I wonder if the girl was ever real or just a fantasy?

Its cool to think that she might be watching the thread and get into contact with him after 50 years. Sometimes on these oldies songs guys will actually leave their names and numbers searching for her.

Ah yes, those Midnight Confessions, when I'm telling the World that I love you. Another favorite of mine.

Just watching this video reminded me of when I was 5 in Germany and my hippy uncle and his hair to the knees girlfriend came to visit from Canada. She's still ingrained in my psyche as the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Yes, I'm an abstract thinker.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just watching this video reminded me of when I was 5 in Germany and my hippy uncle and his hair to the knees girlfriend came to visit from Canada. She's still ingrained in my psyche as the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Yes, I'm an abstract thinker.

Stored human memory is fascinating. Often unbeknownst to us our recollections are stored and retrieved through our senses and all we touch, see, feel and hear. Even taste, music, art, books, reading. Revisit any of those things and memories come flooding back.

60's were a fantastic time for pop oriented radio music. Lots of good stuff on and that sounded fascinating even on the radio. Lets take a trip;

This was an earworm song I had all the time. Never forget it.

This was a song on the radio every morning playing and that would have me bouncing to school thinking about love before I knew what that was. The Association had a lot of that and were so musically accomplished.

Donovan also got a lot of airplay on the old transistor radios. Had about 3 of those that I wore out through the years. To me he's the Brit Dylan.

Reactions: Dorian2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

No doubt that the girls from the Flower Power era were the sexiest-- even in those long hippie dresses. So sweet....

And of course the endless string of hits and magical music from so many bands--not just the Beatles, the Stones and the Doors. It seemed to be coming from everywhere.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The Association would have to be the uncoolest band on the planet so probably inspired that as well as some Lester Bangs type comments on the best artists being "hopelessly uncool"

Spinal Tap mocked that up pretty well.

That song just makes me link this one again;

What a throw away title for a song that was so much better than its name. Ethereal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad