OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I remember the band being quite popular among the younger generation right around 1997-2004.

Not so much today where youngsters would rather listen to Justin Bieber/Jonas Brothers/ Taylor Swift.

I can kinda understand the appeal. A lot of my female guitar students were learning her tunes. This is fairly pleasant to watch as well. ;)

Then there's this. :D

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Read a Zakk Wylde interview the other day and he mentions Frank Marino is a top 3 guitarist for him, who? Been going through his catalogue since, how the hell didn't I know about this guy before. smh, Canadian to boot.

Yeah. Marino's a legend to a number of guitarists going back to his Mahogany Rush days. Glad this new BluRay is finally released. Been looking forward to it for a bit. This tune is from the the What's Next album, which is the first Marino I heard when I was in High School. This is one that twisted me towards his playing big time when I first heard him. He got a lot a flack from some folks for a few covers he did for whatever reason. Couple of the older guys here might know the answer to that.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Grabbed a couple CDs to play today while doing housework, need the BPM high today.

2B21A263-E6CA-4310-8B83-0B6580D2FC51.jpeg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't imagine there's too many rabid Stones fans on this thread (like myself) but for anyone who is, this month ushered in the newly remastered and expanded version of 1973's "Goats Head Soup."

It followed on the heels of "Exile on Main Street" so it was a tough act to follow and in predicatable fashion the critics went after it but the album was a classic in its own right.

I've never liked that "Devil" junk but the album is packed with songs that have nothing to do with "Mr. D."

One of the Stones most underrated and beautiful ballads is a song called "Winter" which features Mick Taylor (not Keith Richards) in one of his finest solo performances. Taylor stuck around for "Its Only Rock and Roll" and then departed. To me, his exit marked the end of the Stones classic period. This masterpiece song seems to go so nicely with Edmonton's old handle-- "The Gateway to the North" which is in itself a beautiful expression that is much more preferable (in my mind) to the cheesy "City of Champions" thing.

Every time I hear this ballad--"Winter" it takes me back to my days growing up in the North Country-- before anybody had heard of Wayne Gretzky or even Al Hamilton.

The lyrics and the mood seem to describe a place where we have all been and if you want to take a listen then the Youtube address is listed below.

"Can Your Hear the Music" is another one that is little known (this many years later) but to me, it is another underrated classic with wonderful production values. Like so many Stones associates, Goats Head Soup's producer Jimmy Miller fell into drugs and despair and disappeared from the Stones radar after this album. Oh well, rock and roll is ultimately "survivors only."

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hey @MoontoScott . Thanks for the great context from a fans perspective. Great sound production indeed. Great tune!

This might be fitting.

per·di·tion
/pərˈdiSHən/
noun
  1. (in Christian theology) a state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unpenitent person passes after death.

Is this where our ears have been for too long with hyper compressed LOUD? :) This one is pretty well produced...;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One of my faves of alltime. Warren Zevon. Just loved the way he took the piss out of the music industry.

Lucky enough to have seen the legend live once at Commonwealth Stadium. Was as rare a sight at the time as seeing Bob Dylan.

Few tracks better than this, just mocking Country, rock music and backwater all day long. Needed now more than ever.. man, this guy took no prisoners when he decided to go at something. Lynyrd Skynyrd stayed mad at Neil Young, I don't know they even touched this parody. Probably decided not to go after the king of satire.

NSFW. Its Warren Zevon, of course its not safe for hardly anywhere..lol

interesting thing about the track is its as catchy as any song he's done but of course couldn't be played on any radio station pretty much anywhere.

Heres another

Well, it can't not be on any playlist;

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't imagine there's too many rabid Stones fans on this thread (like myself) but for anyone who is, this month ushered in the newly remastered and expanded version of 1973's "Goats Head Soup."

It followed on the heels of "Exile on Main Street" so it was a tough act to follow and in predicatable fashion the critics went after it but the album was a classic in its own right.

I've never liked that "Devil" junk but the album is packed with songs that have nothing to do with "Mr. D."

One of the Stones most underrated and beautiful ballads is a song called "Winter" which features Mick Taylor (not Keith Richards) in one of his finest solo performances. Taylor stuck around for "Its Only Rock and Roll" and then departed. To me, his exit marked the end of the Stones classic period. This masterpiece song seems to go so nicely with Edmonton's old handle-- "The Gateway to the North" which is in itself a beautiful expression that is much more preferable (in my mind) to the cheesy "City of Champions" thing.

Every time I hear this ballad--"Winter" it takes me back to my days growing up in the North Country-- before anybody had heard of Wayne Gretzky or even Al Hamilton.

The lyrics and the mood seem to describe a place where we have all been and if you want to take a listen then the Youtube address is listed below.

"Can Your Hear the Music" is another one that is little known (this many years later) but to me, it is another underrated classic with wonderful production values. Like so many Stones associates, Goats Head Soup's producer Jimmy Miller fell into drugs and despair and disappeared from the Stones radar after this album. Oh well, rock and roll is ultimately "survivors only."

Could never get into this album at the time and it seems I'm having trouble still. i mean from any other band would be considered at least interesting. But from the Stones machine it was pretty ordinary. Listened to Winter just a couple times. not getting any great groove there.

you mentioned the poor reviews. This is typical of the album. But no real hilites I can find here so hard to disagree with any of it.

That said I just probably don't get the record and on the worse Stones albums I can take or leave it. They did put up some fill through the years as well. This album sounds tired, uninspired, and like they needed to work on 10-12 tracks while high as a kite and try to get something down on vinyl. none of it seems finished tbh. Like they just gave up on it. Had better things to do. I mean this was right after their cannon of top albums.

The really weird thing about the Stones is how lost they got for 3 albums after being so brilliant before. I can hardly listen to anything between 73-78 then they come back with a killer album in "some Girls" which put them back on the map. For those that were not diehard Stones fans that album put them back and I remember the immediate take, "wow, this is good Stones again"

At least Goats Head had Angie. I remember people listening to that tune and then putting any Led Zep album on.

Contrast Winter, with this fantastic Track, same time period, by Edgar Winter band. I mean which is the perfect song?

Worse, Winter cam after Autumn (excuse all puns), and the Stones heard that brilliant Autumn track and in Stones fashion tried to copy something.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Could never get into this album at the time and it seems I'm having trouble still. i mean from any other band would be considered at least interesting. But from the Stones machine it was pretty ordinary. Listened to Winter just a couple comes. not getting any great groove there.

you mentioned the poor reviews. This is typical of the album. But no real hilites I can find here so hard to disagree with any of it.

That said I just probably don't get the record and on the worse Stones albums I can take or leave it. They did put up some fill through the years as well. This album sounds tired, uninspired, and like they needed to work on 10-12 tracks while high as a kite and try to get something down on vinyl. none of it seems finished tbh. Like they just gave up on it. Had better things to do. I mean this was right after their cannon of top albums.

The really weird thing about the Stones is how lost they got for 3 albums after being so brilliant before. I can hardly listen to anything between 73-78 then they come back with a killer album in "some Girls" which put them back on the map. For those that were not diehard Stones fans that album put them back and I remember the immediate take, "wow, this is good Stones again"

At least Goats Head had Angie. I remember people listening to that tune and then putting any Led Zep album on.

Heartbreaker was an international hit as was "Star F******.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One of my faves of alltime. Warren Zevon. Just loved the way he took the piss out of the music industry.

Lucky enough to have seen the legend live once at Commonwealth Stadium. Was as rare a sight at the time as seeing Bob Dylan.

Few tracks better than this, just mocking Country, rock music and backwater all day long. Needed now more than ever.. man, this guy took no prisoners when he decided to go at something. Lynyrd Skynyrd stayed mad at Neil Young, I don't know they even touched this parody. Probably decided not to go after the king of satire.

NSFW. Its Warren Zevon, of course its not safe for hardly anywhere..lol

interesting thing about the track is its as catchy as any song he's done but of course couldn't be played on any radio station pretty much anywhere.

Heres another

Well, it can't not be on any playlist;

Also loved his song, "A certain girl"

Reactions: illegalsmile

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Heartbreaker was an international hit as was "Star F******.

The last is nor much of a song. Basically an excuse to swear on record and have teenagers giggling. Heartbreaker as a song was really nothing special. As befits the Stones weird tendency a want to rip a name from a rival song and try to do something with it. Lets just say led Zep heartbreaker won. I mean Stones could have called this track anything, but you know. ;) like doo doo doo this song goes nowhere.

But no worries, you are a Stones diehard. Few other fans enjoyed Goats head soup, which if we're being honest people were calling Goats shit soup at the time. heh

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Also loved his song, "A certain girl"

Werewolves of London was a great song with great humor as well---at a time when rock & roll started to take itself way too seriously. It still does. I hate how so many musicians today have saddled up with the politically correct crowd when rock & roll was really invented to be rebellious and go against the grain in terms of society's prevailing views.

As Billy Joel once said, if it isn't a memorable tune people forget the message pretty quickly.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The last is nor much of a song. Basically an excuse to swear on record and have teenagers giggling. Heartbreaker as a song was really nothing special. As befits the Stones weird tendency a want to rip a name from a rival song and try to do something with it. Lets just say led Zep heartbreaker won. I mean Stones could have called this track anything, but you know. ;) like doo doo doo this song goes nowhere.

But no worries, you are a Stones diehard. Few other fans enjoyed Goats head soup, which if we're being honest people were calling Goats shit soup at the time. heh

The song "Some Girls" also had teenagers giggling.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The song "Some Girls" also had teenagers giggling.

If many listened to it. Its a throwaway track as many title tracks can be. The song just seemed an excuse for the cover.

Beast of Burden, Miss you, Shattered being the classic tracks and as many said at the time, and still do its the Album that should have followed Exile and as if nothing had occurred between them.

Some girls as an album was definitely a solid return for the Stones after being lost for awhile.

How the Rolling Stones Bounced Back With 'Some Girls'

Don't take my word for it. Richards/Jagger themselves on the 3 "holiday" records;

During an interview with Rolling Stone, Mick Jagger later looked back on the creatively moribund period leading up to Some Girls, explaining, "Everyone was using drugs, Keith particularly. So I think it suffered a bit from all that. General malaise. I think we got a bit carried away with our own popularity and so on." Laughing that "it was a bit of a holiday period,"

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If many listened to it. Its a throwaway track as many title tracks can be. The song just seemed an excuse for the cover.

Beast of Burden, Miss you, Shattered being the classic tracks and as many said at the time, and still do its the Album that should have followed Exile and as if nothing had occurred between them.

Ironically, in --"Miss You"-- Jagger talks about walking Central Park after dark ---because of course he lived (for a while) in the Dakota building where Lennon also lived.

Jagger concluded that the area was too dangerous and moved out.

Lennon was also advised that he should move out but the advice was overruled by Yoko Ono.

That was the difference between Mick and John. Women never told Mick what to do.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ironically, in --Miss You-- Jagger talks about walking Central Park after dark ---because of course he lived (for a while) in the Dakota building where Lennon also lived.

Jagger concluded that the area was too dangerous and moved out.

Lennon was also advised that he should move out but the advice was overruled by Yoko Ono.

Jagger always was the one that had the fear of getting shot. A foremost thought of his at times. To me its a Lou Reed evoking kind of track as well, and the Stones foray into some of the latest sounds. it works out pretty well I think. Solid track and "some got it" at the time as Richards said about the track.

Back to Jagger, Golden Earring used to play on tour with the Stones at times in Europe opening for them and Barry Hay vocalist was familiar with Jaggers prescient fear. Wrote this spooky track for the follow up album to the bands seminal work, Moontan, and back in 1974. it was all kind of the inspiration for Ce Soir (kill me) which of course was hard for Hay to sing live on stage.

Can't remember all but I think Golden Earring didn't open for the Stones anymore after this release.

heh I'm a huge Golden Earring fan. Have basically every track they recorded. lots of fluff there too but some gold as well;)

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Jagger always was the one that had the fear of getting shot. A foremost thought of his at times. To me its a Lou Reed evoking kind of track as well, and the Stones foray into some of the latest sounds. it works out pretty well I think. Solid track and "some got it" at the time as Richards said about the track.

Back to Jagger, Golden Earring used to play on tour with the Stones at times in Europe opening for them and Barry Hay vocalist was familiar with Jaggers prescient fear. Wrote this spooky track for the follow up album to the bands seminal work, Moontan, and back in 1974. it was all kind of the inspiration for Ce Soir (kill me) which of course was hard for Hay to sing live on stage.

Can't remember all but I think Golden Earring didn't open for the Stones anymore after this release.

heh I'm a huge Golden Earring fan. Have basically every track they recorded. lots of fluff there too but some gold as well;)

Jagger was always a survivor and that's why he's still doing it after almost 60 years with the Stones.

So many others in the music business never saw the inherent dangers that came with all the goodies. It wasn't just a gun that could kill you.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jagger was always a survivor and that's why he's still doing it after almost 60 years with the Stones.

So many others in the music business never saw the inherent dangers that came with all the goodies. It wasn't just a gun that could kill you.

Really well stated.

So many didn't get that. RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad