OT: Music III

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This one comes to mind:

I doubt the original members could do better.

Impressive! sounds very good. If you're gonna cover a band,make it sound right,and they do. Better than Britt Floyd.
Vocals are the hardest to mimic when covering a band.Journey got a good one when the had to replace Perry.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Everything here still wants to kill you but now they’d be traveling in fried-out Kombis on hippie trails, head full of zombies

I got into close contact with a Portuguese Man of War on Great Keppel Island, I believe they were called Bluebottles locally. It hurts a lot. We had gone on a trail to the other side of the island, it took about an hour and a half and we found a nice beach, there were maybe 50 people there. We get into the sea, I was approx 100 meters out when I felt this burning pain on my back, I turned around slapping my arm around and got another sting on my arm, not as bad as the one on my back which was the whole damn colony. I started screaming and I am a good swimmer so I swam like hell and everybody else thought it was a shark and left the water very fast.

I was swearing a lot because of the pain, I was young so I didn't want to scream of pain because we had met these 3 British girls and they were with us. So I toughed it out, one of my Swedish friends had been in Australia a couple of months already and he asked if I wanted him to pee on my back which I should have allowed him to do but I told him to f-off in Swedish. Vinegar is the best I believe but pee helps probably more than sunscreen which one of the girls put on. I still have a scar on my back and the pain went away after a couple of hours. Then we had to walk back in that bleeding sunshine and I got a cold sore to add to the misery and it obviously put stop to the plans I had for one of the Brits that night.

I had a great time in Australia, Great Barrier Reef was amazing, Northern Queensland with sugar cane toads and saltwater crocs. Stayed mostly in Sydney at King's Cross and went to Bondi Beach every day we were in Sydney unless we had something planned. I also went to Melbourne, went to the infamous gaol.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Anyone else listening to Billie Joe Armstrong and his "No Fun Mondays" covers on YT where he's been doing covers of some old tunes from the 70's, 80's and 90's? Some of them are very well done and quite good IMO. Here's a couple but there's more on the Green Day YT channel.

Doing a cover of Kim Wilde's Kids in America. I think I like this better than the original.

Here's a cover of The Bangles Manic Monday with The Bangles Susanna Hoffs also appearing.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Billy Idol with his expressive nostrils, maybe not in this guy's class but nevertheless. I am sure it would be nice riding motorcycle with those things (including the ears). I've heard he's popular at parties. :eek:

wtf-body-mods-20.jpg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Anyone else listening to Billie Joe Armstrong and his "No Fun Mondays" covers on YT where he's been doing covers of some old tunes from the 70's, 80's and 90's? Some of them are very well done and quite good IMO. Here's a couple but there's more on the Green Day YT channel.

Doing a cover of Kim Wilde's Kids in America. I think I like this better than the original.

Here's a cover of The Bangles Manic Monday with The Bangles Susanna Hoffs also appearing.

That was great! For some odd reason I have never bought any of Green Day's CDs. I like the band whenever I hear them on the radio in my car or see them in YT videos or on TV. Time to change that, which records of theirs do you recommend?
I have noticed you have a very broad taste in music. With regards to seafaring songs here's one written by one of my favorite artists, Ralph McTell. about a sailing ship going around the Cape Horn. It was based on a documentary he saw on TV about an old guy reminiscing about when he was young and sailed around the Horn. McTell has a wonderful baritone and is a very good guitarist. Many have never heard of him but many have heard one of his oldest songs called Streets of London. I have the double CD album and also the DVD from this concert which was recorded on his 60th birthday at Royal Albert Hall. The second link is a live performance of a song that he wrote called Clare to Here about Irishmen working overseas and Nancy Griffith has recorded a great version of the song on her Other Voices Other Rooms where she recorded some of her favorite music.

YouTube

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That was great! For some odd reason I have never bought any of Green Day's CDs. I like the band whenever I hear them on the radio in my car or see them in YT videos or on TV. Time to change that, which records of theirs do you recommend?
I have noticed you have a very broad taste in music.
With regards to seafaring songs here's one written by one of my favorite artists, Ralph McTell. about a sailing ship going around the Cape Horn. It was based on a documentary he saw on TV about an old guy reminiscing about when he was young and sailed around the Horn. McTell has a wonderful baritone and is a very good guitarist. Many have never heard of him but many have heard one of his oldest songs called Streets of London. I have the double CD album and also the DVD from this concert which was recorded on his 60th birthday at Royal Albert Hall. The second link is a live performance of a song that he wrote called Clare to Here about Irishmen working overseas and Nancy Griffith has recorded a great version of the song on her Other Voices Other Rooms where she recorded some of her favorite music.

YouTube

Yes I thought they were very well done as well and there's others he's covered recently on his YT channel that's quite good as well.

TBH I've never listened to much Green Day over the years myself and still don't and I don't know why since I do quite enjoy listening to some of their music. I think I've only ever bought their Dookie album likely for the songs Basket Case and When I come around. A couple of more tunes off the top of my head that I enjoyed from their other albums over the years were Good Riddance and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Yes I do have a broad taste in music but it's mostly classic rock with some Irish/Newfoundland style music thrown in but I can listen to just about anything. The past couple of years I've since ventured more into the southern rock/bluesy type music from listening to Warren Haynes and the bands he's been in more and more and also the Tedeschi Trucks Band which has become a favorite of mine.

The tune you posted is quite good as well. I had never heard of Ralph McTell but will check out more of his songs later. I have listened to Nancy Griffith before and might he have that album here somewhere. I've heard the Clare to Here a few times being sung by others.

Here's another of Billie Joe Armstrong's recent covers. Covering Eric Carmen's That's Rock and Roll. Very good song and quite well done IMO. I don't care for Shaun Cassidy's version :) and prefer Eric Carmen's instead and now this recent cover by BJA.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yes I thought they were very well done as well and there's others he's covered recently on his YT channel that's quite good as well.

TBH I've never listened to much Green Day over the years myself and still don't and I don't know why since I do quite enjoy listening to some of their music. I think I've only ever bought their Dookie album likely for the songs Basket Case and When I come around. A couple of more tunes off the top of my head that I enjoyed from their other albums over the years were Good Riddance and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Yes I do have a broad taste in music but it's mostly classic rock with some Irish/Newfoundland style music thrown in but I can listen to just about anything. The past couple of years I've since ventured more into the southern rock/bluesy type music from listening to Warren Haynes and the bands he's been in more and more and also the Tedeschi Trucks Band which has become a favorite of mine.

The tune you posted is quite good as well. I had never heard of Ralph McTell but will check out more of his songs later. I have listened to Nancy Griffith before and might he have that album here somewhere. I've heard the Clare to Here a few times being sung by others.

Here's another of Billie Joe Armstrong's recent covers. Covering Eric Carmen's That's Rock and Roll. Very good song and quite well done IMO. I don't care for Shaun Cassidy's version :) and prefer Eric Carmen's instead and now this recent cover by BJA.

:thumbu:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Billy Idol with his expressive nostrils, maybe not in this guy's class but nevertheless. I am sure it would be nice riding motorcycle with those things (including the ears). I've heard he's popular at parties. :eek:

wtf-body-mods-20.jpg

Not judging,but if I were to come home like that,I'd be shunned.:help:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Not judging,but if I were to come home like that,I'd be shunned.:help:

I never went that far either but once I called my mom when I was on a booze cruise between Sweden and Finland and told her I had married one of the crew, the ship's chaplain had married us and I told her I had married a Finnish cleaning lady. I still remember what I said when she complained: "But mom, she's from Finland (like my mom), I thought you'd be really happy for me?" :laugh:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I never went that far either but once I called my mom when I was on a booze cruise between Sweden and Finland and told her I had married one of the crew, the ship's chaplain had married us and I told her I had married a Finnish cleaning lady. I still remember what I said when she complained: "But mom, she's from Finland (like my mom), I thought you'd be really happy for me?" :laugh:

You were kidding though right? so you can speak Fin as well? sounds difficult.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
You were kidding though right? so you can speak Fin as well? sounds difficult.

No, I can count (yksi, kaksi, kolme), toast (kippis) and some bad words. The other kids teased me when I was a kid when my mom called on me for dinner with her accent. So I never really wanted to learn it which I regret immensely now. Imagine going to Seattle to watch KK with the Habs and assume I become a Seattle fan then it would have been nice to be able to throw some insult in Finnish. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad