OT: Music III

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
No, I can count (yksi, kaksi, kolme), toast (kippis) and some bad words. The other kids teased me when I was a kid when my mom called on me for dinner with her accent. So I never really wanted to learn it which I regret immensely now. Imagine going to Seattle to watch KK with the Habs and assume I become a Seattle fan then it would have been nice to be able to throw some insult in Finnish. :)

I understand,easier to learn when young. Hearing Fin,I can't follow at all,but Swedish is more close for some reason,and Danish even easier.

Long way to go to see a game but the closest NHL hockey by a fair margin.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I got into close contact with a Portuguese Man of War on Great Keppel Island, I believe they were called Bluebottles locally. It hurts a lot. We had gone on a trail to the other side of the island, it took about an hour and a half and we found a nice beach, there were maybe 50 people there. We get into the sea, I was approx 100 meters out when I felt this burning pain on my back, I turned around slapping my arm around and got another sting on my arm, not as bad as the one on my back which was the whole damn colony. I started screaming and I am a good swimmer so I swam like hell and everybody else thought it was a shark and left the water very fast.

I was swearing a lot because of the pain, I was young so I didn't want to scream of pain because we had met these 3 British girls and they were with us. So I toughed it out, one of my Swedish friends had been in Australia a couple of months already and he asked if I wanted him to pee on my back which I should have allowed him to do but I told him to f-off in Swedish. Vinegar is the best I believe but pee helps probably more than sunscreen which one of the girls put on. I still have a scar on my back and the pain went away after a couple of hours. Then we had to walk back in that bleeding sunshine and I got a cold sore to add to the misery and it obviously put stop to the plans I had for one of the Brits that night.

I had a great time in Australia, Great Barrier Reef was amazing, Northern Queensland with sugar cane toads and saltwater crocs. Stayed mostly in Sydney at King's Cross and went to Bondi Beach every day we were in Sydney unless we had something planned. I also went to Melbourne, went to the infamous gaol.
Yeah bluebottles suck, usually walk the beach before going in to see if there's any washed up before getting in but that's not always a sure thing. A few years ago we were out on a beach on North Stradbroke Island and I talked my daughter to get into the water when she really didn't want to - well talked isn't what really happened, I trash talked her loudly calling her chicken etc... until she got in, 5 seconds later she's screaming and in tears with the blue tentacles wrapped around her leg - father of the year right there :( She hasn't set foot in the ocean since - well that and she watched Jaws since that too

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Nice, I thought first they played classical music by Offenbach. This is classical music on a guitar played by Dave Edmunds known more for rockabilly style when he played with Rockpile with Nick Lowe.

They always play this at Sabres games, didn't know it was called Sabre Dance-

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I understand,easier to learn when young. Hearing Fin,I can't follow at all,but Swedish is more close for some reason,and Danish even easier.

Long way to go to see a game but the closest NHL hockey by a fair margin.

The reason Swedish is much easier for English or Dutch speakers is that it belongs to the same Indo-European languages while Finnish, Estonian, Lapplandish and further away Hungarian belong to a different group.

Fader (Swe, Nor, Dan), Faðir (Iceland), Father (Eng), Padre (Ita), Père (Fra).
Isä is father in Finnish, all the other are related.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The reason Swedish is much easier for English or Dutch speakers is that it belongs to the same Indo-European languages while Finnish, Estonian, Lapplandish and further away Hungarian belong to a different group.

Fader (Swe, Nor, Dan), Faðir (Iceland), Father (Eng), Padre (Ita), Père (Fra).
Isä is father in Finnish, all the other are related.

Kind of feel like I'm back in school!:):thumbu:

images

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Nice, I thought first they played classical music by Offenbach.
They were the ultimate Québec rock band in the late 70's 80's. Our band actually played the first half of their show in Quebec City in 76. They were just getting started. The singer, Gerry Boulet, who died of cancer, is a legend. Heavy drinker and all that stuff. My brother is a friend of the bass player, Breen Leboeuf.

This was their big hit.

Breen also had his song. They still do it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad