OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Any classical music fans? I watched 3 different versions of the Great Mass in C minor by WA Mozart over the week end. It blows my mind every time I hear it. That guy could write a tune. Incredible voices.

Mozart is my SO's favorite composer where I lean more towards Ludwig. We see Andre Rieu when we can,great fun show!Posted a show on a page back or so. 27 as it turns out,time flies!:)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Any classical music fans? I watched 3 different versions of the Great Mass in C minor by WA Mozart over the week end. It blows my mind every time I hear it. That guy could write a tune. Incredible voices.

I am a big fan. Visited the house he was born in in Salzburg. I have almost all his later compositions. Favorite symphonies are the Prag Symphony KW38, 40 is OK but it was destroyed by Euro trash disco versions. Btw, most of the great C minor mass he had already written in his head. He had this amazing capability to be able to listening and then remembering it. He went on tours with his father and played for nobility and royals. Once they were in Rome, Amadeus was 12 years old and they listened to a religious piece for 16 voices. His dad wrote that the piece was secret and the church people locked it away after a performance and the elder Mozart wrote that it is no secret any longer, young Mozart wrote down the piece from memory. I have all piano concertos from 17 up to the last one which is 27. All his string quartets, all his string quintets. Unlike mkost other composers he wrote for all type of classical music, voice (all his operas and songs), piano pieces an much more.

Here are 2 versions of the 40th symphony, one is horrible and one is great.

Classic guitar and cello version that turns into heavy metal.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Man, I love these guys. Their stylistic agility is unparalleled. And the guitarist is so, so, so sneaky good. Rarely flashy but his chops are always super smooth and tasty.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Might sound weird but they sound like a 2020 version of The Bee Gees
In this example, I can see it. But they really do draw from a number of influences. For example, their first full-length album was largely inspired by the Thai funk movement in the '70s. I think they offer something pretty fresh, informed by really interesting and diverse musical moments of the past.

Reactions: Braun

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Might sound weird but they sound like a 2020 version of The Bee Gees

It sounds nice. I have never really listened to Asian music apart from Japanese traditional instruments like the Koto, I have a CD somewhere with Isac Stern and a Koto Master, it's really good. Of course I have listened to the muzak they play in restaurants sometimes.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
My favorite Canadian band all-time is Rush, some don't like Geddy Lee's vocals but the musicianship can't be denied. This is a long song, but well worth listening through-

Can you recommend a Rush album to start with? I assumed they were American and I was not very high on those American bands. Maybe a compilation?

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
It sounds nice. I have never really listened to Asian music apart from Japanese traditional instruments like the Koto, I have a CD somewhere with Isac Stern and a Koto Master, it's really good. Of course I have listened to the muzak they play in restaurants sometimes.
Here a few examples of the music that was coming out of Southeast Asia in the '70s. Funk, rock and soul records were brought over by/for American GIs during the war in Vietnam and ended up finding a place in the local libraries and record shops. Then the locals just kinda ran with it and we ended up with these totally awesome foreign iterations of what were formerly distinctly Western musical genres.

I also really recommend this Youtube channel:

YouTube

The guy's rotation is awesome. He's got great rare material from from every corner of the earth at different time periods. His Brazilian Grooves setlist sent me down a hell of a rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Here a few examples of the music that was coming out of Southeast Asia in the '70s. Funk, rock and soul records were brought over by/for American GIs during the war in Vietnam and ended up finding a place in the local libraries and record shops. Then the locals just kinda ran with it and we ended up with these totally awesome foreign iterations of what were formerly distinctly Western musical genres.

I also really recommend this Youtube channel:

YouTube

The guy's rotation is awesome. He's got great rare material from from every corner of the earth at different time periods. His Brazilian Grooves setlist sent me down a hell of a rabbit hole.

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Can you recommend a Rush album to start with? I assumed they were American and I was not very high on those American bands. Maybe a compilation?

There are so many great albums, some of my favorites include 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Fly by Night, Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Rush debut, and Caress of Steel. They were all done before 1980, except for Moving Pictures 1981. I don't have any Greatest Hits albums but I see Retrospective 1 covers songs from 1974-80, unfortunately no Moving Pictures tunes, but then there's always Retrospective 2. Here's the first 20 min. from 2112-

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
There are so many great albums, some of my favorites include 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Fly by Night, Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Rush debut, and Caress of Steel. They were all done before 1980, except for Moving Pictures 1981. I don't have any Greatest Hits albums but I see Retrospective 1 covers songs from 1974-80, unfortunately no Moving Pictures tunes, but then there's always Retrospective 2. Here's the first 20 min. from 2112-

Thank you. I have YTM so I am sure I can find them.

Reactions: Forum93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad