Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A subversive Man...

A righteous Man...

tenor.gif

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
As someone with a serious addiction to a chemical substance that's "harmless and innocent; / you devil in white!" let me just reinforce that Snowblind tells my story. Very much.

"Won't you throw me a lifeline?
I'm going down for the third time.
Cause I'm snowblind,
and I can't get away."

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Just let me also add that "Renegade" is f'n amazing. When I literally got to see Styx on their "Edge of the Century" tour, when they played the Hard Rock in Vegas on Dec 29, 2000 [i.e. two days before the century changed :P] I saw Larry Gowan in concert for the first time. He was f***ing amazing.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Heard this for the first time in a long time too

Winwood has a voice for soul ....

Love Stevie Winwood. I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to see him come through Winnipeg for the longest time. But Petty brought him through twice. Both times they did a number of songs together, which seemed to be the norm for Petty, who I am also a huge fan of. Speaking of Petty every single time except once Petty did songs with the "other" band during his portion of the evening. The only exception was in Winnipeg when Joe Cocker opened up. Not surprisingly I never found out why it didn't happen, but I was pretty excited to see a duet between the two that never occurred.

Perhaps the most interesting time was in Minneapolis where a good friend of mine lives. He's a huge Pearl Jam fan and has a very low number in the Ten Club so he always gets great seats. Another buddy of his is a little lower down the list, so he always goes with my friend and sells us his tickets at face. I've seen Pearl Jam now six times in total and have never sat further back than row 8, never closer than row 4. Talk about first world problems. Anyway, back to back nights in Minneapolis and the first night Petty opens for Pearl Jam, second night Pearl Jam opens for Petty. Both nights they played together.

Last time I saw Petty was Minneapolis on the 40th anniversary tour, about three months before his death. Joe Walsh opened and did about a 90 minute set. Two concerts for one. Walsh was priceless, Petty was better.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not a lot of love for the Doors on here it seems. I will say based on my high school friends, they are highly polarizing. I have a very good friend from high school that hates them with a passion. I on the other hand had a huge high school Doors phase. Ultimately I think Morrisson was representative of crazy, drugged/drunk rock stars. He was very talented and probably more than a little wild and crazy, quite possibly a massive douchebag. But to me they made some great music. For the record, I believe Jim did indeed pass away many, many years ago (50). Or he's working at a Burger King with Elvis. Either way.

Though I didn't include it, Riders on the Storm is a helluva song to listen to while sitting in a sunroom/porch while it's raining in summer. Thunderstorm makes it so much better.

Language warning on the first, apologies to mods ahead of time if unacceptable. Nothing explicit visually.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Also an absolute dearth of The Who (you people no likey bands that start with THE?)

Another band I thought I'd be unlikely to see, passing on them in the 80s and 90s I finally got to see them with only Daltrey and Townsend from the original band. Had tickets to see Daltrey at one point, but that show got cancelled. They eventually rolled back around as The Who and had floor seats for these guys. Stunning show, considering their respective ages. Opening act was fantastic as well, though I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the band.

The Who were a pivotal band for me in high school. They were all over FM radio and I had no real idea what I was listening to in terms of talent, but I really liked it.

Videos are of some of the last performances of Keith Moon. Video quality is remarkable for 1978. For the first video, if you aren't going to watch it, go to 7:49 and watch from there on. Second vid is marked as 79 but is from the Kilburn 78 series. Entwistle in the second vid is on fire. Townsend is a mess but brilliant throughout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad