OT: Music 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
This one’s for @buggs! Don’t think I commented way back when you posted on the Amanda Shires love. I share that love…not only is she musically talented, but oh man what a sweetheart!

Love Jason and Amanda’s version of this John Prine classic. (Man that sucked losing John to Covid)

Thanks for this. I'm glad someone noticed. She's just stunningly talented and easy on the eyes as well. If you've followed her career for a while you can see her self confidence evolve. The talent was always there without question but her looks are almost plastic and I mean that as a complement. You just never know what she's going to do with them. Probably a bit of "country music mainstream" trying to bring her out but she and Jason apparently aren't interested in that. Nice to see that they reject the mold of looks > talent. Jason Isbell is a very lucky man. Both are remarkably talented and I'm not even a big country fan.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So...Mark Knopfler. Heard of the guy? Rumor has it that he's got some talent. Had my doubts, but saw him a couple of times, once with Dire Straits just before heading to Australia back in 88. Some guy named Clapton opened for them :eek: Had a huge Dire Straits phase in about 1984 or so, never have recovered really. Also saw him on a solo tour probably 20 years later. Tried to see him in Vancouver at the Commodore but tickets just kept going up, even for a single ticket so it wasn't to be. That would have been 2019 which I fear may have been the last tour. Such a talent, such a diversity of music. So much ability and seemingly so little effort.

Three of my favorites but there are so many more...

This song has been my favorite for years now. It wasn't always but this performance was just incredible. Emmy Lou does not appear.

Was this off Dire Straits last album? It seems like it to me. Two different videos, one for the "American" market, another for the UK and presumably Europe. This is the American version. Seemed like such a positive song to me. The album was full of gems.

The one that started it all, at least for me. I could listen to this a million times in a row and still be happy listening one more time. One of the few songs I would pull over just so I can close my eyes and listen to the song.

So many more songs, many of them meaningful to me, from this band because of the timing of their great success through the early 1980s, that could be posted. Telegraph Road should be posted but with three videos per post it didn't make the cut. That in and of itself is a tragedy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Thanks for this. I'm glad someone noticed. She's just stunningly talented and easy on the eyes as well. If you've followed her career for a while you can see her self confidence evolve. The talent was always there without question but her looks are almost plastic and I mean that as a complement. You just never know what she's going to do with them. Probably a bit of "country music mainstream" trying to bring her out but she and Jason apparently aren't interested in that. Nice to see that they reject the mold of looks > talent. Jason Isbell is a very lucky man. Both are remarkably talented and I'm not even a big country fan.

Big Jason Isbell fan, just a brilliant songwriter and performer.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Did you know Rob Halford was (is) gay? I had no idea back in the 1980s so the songs sort of evolved within my mind from that point on. But I was a huge Judas Priest fan back in the day. Still am to this day. Wore a British Steel lapel pin to high school grad. Nothing wrong with it, just marvel at how young and naieve I was at the time.

Easily top three band for me back in time. Absolutely tons of stellar music, loved every live show I attended. Those were the days I knew someone at Eaton's who could get in early to the box office so I was regularly in the front five rows. Golden days.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Which brings us to this:

Pretty much sold on the idea that the basis for this movie was Judas Priest and Rob Halford. Enjoyed the movie rather immensely, notably this scene. Jennifer Aniston has never hurt a scene she's been in. Just sayin'.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Did you know Rob Halford was (is) gay? I had no idea back in the 1980s so the songs sort of evolved within my mind from that point on. But I was a huge Judas Priest fan back in the day. Still am to this day. Wore a British Steel lapel pin to high school grad. Nothing wrong with it, just marvel at how young and naieve I was at the time.

Easily top three band for me back in time. Absolutely tons of stellar music, loved every live show I attended. Those were the days I knew someone at Eaton's who could get in early to the box office so I was regularly in the front five rows. Golden days.

I was/am a huge Priest fan. To me, there is nothing like British Metal. I thought Halford being gay was the worst kept secret in music during the ‘80’s, lol.

Reactions: Jets 31 and chaos4

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I guess it really has been FAR too long since I've been on a gambling / degenerate drunk bender, cause I heard this song again

And all I can think of is "HOLY SHIT YES SIGN ME UP"

I mean

"and the only thing a gambler needs,
is a suitcase and a trunk"
(sign me up!)
"and the only time that he's satisfied
is when he's on a drunk"
(see above, lol)

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg