CdH 6'1" 187
Pulock 6'2" 212
Pokka 6'0" 214
Pedan 6'5" 213
Pelech 6'3" 220
Mayfield 6'5" 218

Average Ht: 6' 2"+
Average Wt: 211+ lbs
Shocking fact: some of these numbers are draft numbers meaning, they will be bigger than this.

And some of those guys can lay the body just fine but it is almost unnecessary as long as they aren't complete Marys like Wishart. The defense in a few years will be referred to like the buzz saw, or the meat grinder, or whatever. It will be a very unpleasant place to be if you are an opposition forward. It is just too bad this group came late in the game. They are more important than Tavares, to be perfectly honest with you.

im not so much concerned about size of a player but rather a gritty attitude where there not afraid to get get up against the boards and come out with a puck. I mean look at dustin brown. 6' 0 and 205. gets in there nails people and strolls away with a puck in any zone. I think we need a bit of imporvement but its becoming less of a concern with nelson lee cizikas and clutterbuck in the lineup. I think that is okposo's biggest weakness in becoming a true class a power forward. His board play and battles for the puck concern me at times. As cappy would see we needa see a high level of battle level to win the games :p:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
im not so much concerned about size of a player but rather a gritty attitude where there not afraid to get get up against the boards and come out with a puck. I mean look at dustin brown. 6' 0 and 205. gets in there nails people and strolls away with a puck in any zone. I think we need a bit of imporvement but its becoming less of a concern with nelson lee cizikas and clutterbuck in the lineup. I think that is okposo's biggest weakness in becoming a true class a power forward. His board play and battles for the puck concern me at times. As cappy would see we needa see a high level of battle level to win the games :p:
"high battle level" can you back that up with stats please. What is the statistical measurement for battle level? We need factual proof! :D

giddy up*

Martin, Boulton, Hamonic, Clutterbuck, Kulemin, etc. plus some big boys coming up on Defense.

Not a concern at all. We want to win hockey games not boxing matches.

Unless you'd like to swap Grabovski for Tanner Glass?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm not concerned about our forwards.

They may be on the small side, but Okposo, Nelson, Kulemin, Clutterbuck and Martin can all play the body when necessary.

The only concern I have when it comes to size is whether you can win a battle in the corners and whether you can establish yourself in front of the net. I think we have players up front that can do that.

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
Battle Level

I think there might be a misunderstanding concerning snarl versus fighting.
I'm not advocating a line up full of fighters but as someone here pointed out battle level and how to quantify that. Some guys play the game with passion and love the contact you cant teach that you either love it or not and this is a great advantage it takes away the comfort level of the opposing team. This leads to hasty decisions i.e. rushed passes/turnover's one could say fore check yes however given the option of a larger more aggressive player with equal skating ability and a passion for contact I will choose the latter. I can only comment on what I see and I see a team that is not particularly fast nor overly physical regardless of what the consensus is around the league.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
of course, the ideal scenario is having players that have grit, speed and skill, ala Lucic, Brown, Oshie, Perry, Subban, Weber, Chara, etc...

this year, we are a bit weak in gritty 'top' players, and unfortunately have to resort to injections of Carkner and Boulton, when going toe-to-toe with the heavyweights. i honestly think that in two years time, this will be completely different, though.

as far as team toughness and speed, without looking at the stats, i percieve us as middle of the road in both categories. i didn't think that we were particularly fast, until somone mentioned that our speed gave the Pens fits, in the PO's. then i paid attention more, and would say that we aren't too bad in this aspect.

i have been clamouring for more toughness in front of our own net, for a few years now. i don't think our forwards are too soft, but our D needs some sandpaper.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
of course, the ideal scenario is having players that have grit, speed and skill, ala Lucic, Brown, Oshie, Perry, Subban, Weber, Chara, etc...

this year, we are a bit weak in gritty 'top' players, and unfortunately have to resort to injections of Carkner and Boulton, when going toe-to-toe with the heavyweights. i honestly think that in two years time, this will be completely different, though.

as far as team toughness and speed, without looking at the stats, i percieve us as middle of the road in both categories. i didn't think that we were particularly fast, until somone mentioned that our speed gave the Pens fits, in the PO's. then i paid attention more, and would say that we aren't too bad in this aspect.

i have been clamouring for more toughness in front of our own net, for a few years now. i don't think our forwards are too soft, but our D needs some sandpaper.

The idea that NYI was "fast" simply had to do with the team's ability - particularly with Visnovsky on the ice - to transition. NYI does have - particularly with Visnovsky on the ice - a very good transition game. But that's much more based on passing ability and anticipation than it is on skating speed.

NYI's strength is passing ability in quick transitions. Which is why the most crucial players to NYI's success are Visnovsky, de Haan, Nielsen, Okposo, Nelson and Grabner. They're the players that make that transition game work. The fragility of Visnovsky and de Haan are IMO, by far the greatest dangers to success this year. We have plenty of forwards who excel playing that style.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think there might be a misunderstanding concerning snarl versus fighting.
I'm not advocating a line up full of fighters but as someone here pointed out battle level and how to quantify that. Some guys play the game with passion and love the contact you cant teach that you either love it or not and this is a great advantage it takes away the comfort level of the opposing team. This leads to hasty decisions i.e. rushed passes/turnover's one could say fore check yes however given the option of a larger more aggressive player with equal skating ability and a passion for contact I will choose the latter. I can only comment on what I see and I see a team that is not particularly fast nor overly physical regardless of what the consensus is around the league.

It's worth noting that there is a difference between being willing to take a hit and giving one. Some players don't excel at giving hits, so they just don't try. That same player could still take a hit in order to make a play. I'm not sure there is anyone on the roster currently who isn't willing to take a hit in order to make the right play.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
That's why i'm really hoping Lee sees NHL ice sooner than later. KO can battle in the corners and we do have Martin , but as far as size we are limited. Clutter & Martin will likely be our main source of physicality this season.

My thoughts exactly. Lee is a bull on the puck who charges to the net off the boards with it and isn't afraid to park himself in front. I can't see how he doesn't have a place on this team with what he brings to the table.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I'm not really concerned at all.

People need to stop treating the LA Kings like the holy grail of the NHL (I'm looking at you Darth).

They were one game away from being swept by the Sharks. Their size didn't get them all the way to the Stanley Cup. Their willpower, motivation, and experience of having been there before did.

Also, I'm not even sure if the Rangers make the playoffs+advance to the SCF without Lundqvist playing at his highest level.

:handclap:

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
Contact

In my initial post #31 I didn't distinguish between giving or receiving contact but I will say this it has been my experience that if you enjoy throwing hits you are usually willing to take a hit to make a play. Conversely I have noticed again just my experience the same can not be said of someone not willing to initiate contact.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Bruins do it. I wouldnt call them weak.

I'd be AMAZED if any team did crossfit. It's well documented to be bad for your body and has a high risk of injury.

They may do something similar to crossfit, but it's probably not crossfit.

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
I'd be AMAZED if any team did crossfit. It's well documented to be bad for your body and has a high risk of injury.

They may do something similar to crossfit, but it's probably not crossfit.

Watch "Behind The B".

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

People need to stop treating the LA Kings like the holy grail of the NHL (I'm looking at you Darth).

They were one game away from being swept by the Sharks. Their size didn't get them all the way to the Stanley Cup. Their willpower, motivation, and experience of having been there before did.

Also, I'm not even sure if the Rangers make the playoffs+advance to the SCF without Lundqvist playing at his highest level.

So, goaltending, motivation, experience are all important, and that means that size and grit are not?

That is some strained logic you got there, no offense.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Watch "Behind The B".

I'd think anything they are doing as a team is regulated and structured, which crossfit is not. If you go to a gym to do crossfit, the instructors don't care if you're doing the exercise properly, but how many reps you can bang through. The whole scene is very cult-ish as mentioned above, and there is a really big emphasis on just doing things...rather than doing them properly.

If the Bruins are doing it, they aren't doing it in the traditional manner.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So, goaltending, motivation, experience are all important, and that means that size and grit are not?

That is some strained logic you got there, no offense.

I'm talking about size, and size only. I find it extremely overrated.

You need big players who can win puck battles for you, but you don't need to compromise skill for size, even at the center position. You sprinkle them in.

Grit, however is extremely important, but I think that's a tough thing for a young team (like the Isles) to accomplish.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I'm talking about size, and size only. I find it extremely overrated.

You need big players who can win puck battles for you, but you don't need to compromise skill for size, even at the center position. You sprinkle them in.

Grit, however is extremely important, but I think that's a tough thing for a young team (like the Isles) to accomplish.

Nobody was talking about "size only." I wasn't suggesting a roster of Eric Cairns. I'm saying that size needs to be one component of the picture.

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
My thoughts exactly. Lee is a bull on the puck who charges to the net off the boards with it and isn't afraid to park himself in front. I can't see how he doesn't have a place on this team with what he brings to the table.

tumblr_ml3qhkLJkU1qz9trxo1_1280.jpg

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I don't know man. I was a harsh critic of Kyle's when his game was in the toilet with his aggressiveness one of the big components missing. Last year he turned the page on that and played more like the KO I wanted to see.

Regarding size, see my Wishart analogy. I get what you are saying, and it is for that reason the defense will be strong in 3 to 5 years. We have a bunch of guys who have both size and a little snarl. Reinhart was suspended for crushing a guy with great purpose, Pokka is not afraid to check, CdH has a good physical game and he is the lightweight in the bunch... The future looks good on defense.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nobody was talking about "size only." I wasn't suggesting a roster of Eric Cairns. I'm saying that size needs to be one component of the picture.

And it is going to be a component.

Okposo, Nelson, Lee, Dal Colle, and even Kulemin are all guys with size.

If you look at the defensemen coming through in the pipeline, there's not many shrimps in there.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006

The fact that the Sharks were one of the better teams int he league had nothing to do with that?????

Size and skill is always nicer to have than just skill.

But lets get to the playoffs first then worry about the brutish teams.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
And it is going to be a component.

Okposo, Nelson, Lee, Dal Colle, and even Kulemin are all guys with size.

If you look at the defensemen coming through in the pipeline, there's not many shrimps in there.

MDC is 180 pounds and years away from the NHL. Lee may not even be a regular forward. As for all those supposedly huge defenders, also years away. For now, we have more sub six footers on defense than probably any team in the league.

Even Brock Nelson (who, btw, is tall but weedy) and Okposo are not really gritty guys.

Sorry, but anybody who is unwilling to recognize that this is a smallish team that is not especially gritty, is just not being realistic.

Now again, I am not taking your tremendous conceptual leap and arguing that size is the only issue that matters, but it is a problem.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
MDC is 180 pounds and years away from the NHL. Lee may not even be a regular forward. As for all those supposedly huge defenders, also years away. For now, we have more sub six footers on defense than probably any team in the league.

Even Brock Nelson (who, btw, is tall but weedy) and Okposo are not really gritty guys.

Sorry, but anybody who is unwilling to recognize that this is a smallish team that is not especially gritty, is just not being realistic.

Now again, I am not taking your tremendous conceptual leap and arguing that size is the only issue that matters, but it is a problem.
size doesn't matter....the rallying cry in Islander message boards and gym lockerroom showers since the dawn of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad