Speculation: Murray's Priority List

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone else think that Michalek may be a good piece to trade?

It is tough to put him in the top 6 when we had two lines that played well together. Even then he isn't a big upgrade over anyone winger in the top 6. But at the same time he is still a decent player.

What could Anderson/Lehner + Michalek fetch?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With the news that Toussigny is signed, pending the July 1 finish of his Avalanche contract, that tells me Cameron is done as well. Grapevine says Sens are re-working some salary to bring him up to NHL coach money and extending that out a couple of years. These two can get a check mark on the list I think.

Next up has to be the existing contracts. With RFAS, since a couple of them share an agent, I'd expect that to be done in bunches. Coming Soon I'd hope.

The unproductive contracts are the albatross and will take enormous amount of work to solve. Moving them is a must we know. Doing that is a crapshoot. I don't care about the draft pick in return and don't want another body. Add a 6 or 7 if we have to . Just clear the space. Priority 1

If you can move one before July 1, sign Condra for 4th line, if the decision is to keep him. Priority 1A

As to RFAs, Stone is the wildcard at 2, 3, 4 plus years and at what cost. Zibanejad fits that boat as well. I'd be happy with longer term for these two. Priority 2

Hoffman and Pageau seem to be tied to the 2 or 3 year deal timeline. Priority 2A

I have no read on Chiasson and expect he may be a chip somewhere if Murray gets what he wants in a trade (Top 6 wing or Top 4 D). I think even if he does get signed, this could happen. Priority 4.

After that, sorting out the goalie situation. If Edmonton is willing to deal some of their 1sts (TSN) could Lehner return one. Does he make a package for a Draisaitl or Yakupov around him (imo Hall and Eberle are off the table). I expect this to come down after the Cup and before the Draft. Doing the above RFAs first addresses the CAP issues to address this trade possibility. Priority 3

Signing a UFA LD is a must if the one he wants is there (Sekara or other). Priority 3A

I would think within the month we'll know the direction the team will go, or have to go.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It is tough to put him in the top 6 when we had two lines that played well together. Even then he isn't a big upgrade over anyone winger in the top 6. But at the same time he is still a decent player.

Michalek is kinda tricky. On one hand, he is versatile and can be plugged into just about any line when needed. At the same time, he doesn't fit into our long-term plans and age range.

Do we want to keep him as a decent player to plug holes when injuries hit (and they will), or do we move a decent player to open up a spot for one of the kids?

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Sign Stone, Zibanejad, and Pageau to long term deals
Trade Legwand for a late pick
Buy out Greening
Sign Hoffman and Chiasson to short(er) term contracts (I have a feeling Hoff goes to arbitration)
Sign Wideman to a 1 year contract
Trade Lehner or Andy at the draft for picks
Trade one of Wiercioch or Cowen + Picks/prospects for a legitimate top 4 LD.
Hopefully resign Condra

pretty much this except i'd try and package andy/lehner with cowen/wier/ + picks and or prospects to get a better shot at a top 4 d.

and honestly wouldn't mind letting chiasson go either.

hopefully a decent prospect with top 6/top 9 potential plus picks... i'm not high on michalek he's the player i dislike the most on the sens

Based on OP

1- Concentrate on Draft
2- Sign RFAs to long-term deals
3- Move Hammond or Anderson
4- Waive Greening (if you can't trade him), let Condra walk (as good as he has been), let Phillips and Neil retire (if they want)
5-Package Chiasson, Gryba and a 2nd for Top-4 D-man to play with Ceci

Methot-Karlsson
Top4-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
BorowieckiWiercioch

6- Sign Cameron
7- Replace Reads
8- Fill Out Binghamton Roster
9- Other
10- Acquire Top 6 Forward : NO unless it's for a STAR forward LW, impact player... If not :

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Legwand-Smith-Prince

That's a tad optomistic i doubt anyone would move one of their top four d's for that package we would need to add more on our part

Last edited by a moderator:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Interesting you'd move Hammond. I think that has a lot of weight. Unpopular, but Lehner has not finished his development as of yet.

Hammond was great but IMO it was more a miracle run than anything, I don't see him having a LOT of success in the NHL. Could be a fine back-up for a few years. That would be a great asset management to trade him and remains with a Andy/Lehner tandem, which gives more time for Lehner to reach his potential.

No team would trade for Hammond.
Also why let Condra walk? He's a great bottom 6 player.

Why "no team would trade for Hammond"? Because he was UFA? No team had a chance to sign him yet... Not saying a sign and trade is likely but you never know

Let Condra walk because he will cost over 2.0 a year and we have tons of young forwards ready for prime time (need spots for Prince and Puempel for example)

That's a tad optomistic i doubt anyone would move one of their top four d's for that package we would need to add more on our part

Well, of course that depends of your top-4 D-man's definition... Oduya is a top-4 D-man for example. If you're going after Dougie Hamilton, of course the discussion changes

Chiasson is young, cost-controlled and still has top-6 potential. At worst, he's a great 3rd liner
A 2nd in that draft is more valuable than usual, should net you a nice prospect
Gryba is a good solid reliable 3rd pair physical D-man, and cheap.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If BM is successful & is able to acquire a top 6 forward it is quite likely that the top 6 forward will push one of MacArthur or Hoffman down to the 3rd line. If they decide to move Michalek to RW & they have MacArthur on LW, that is the start of a pretty good 3rd line & they have a few centres they could put in the middle of those two. If Michalek stays on LW he would be pushed to the 4th line & Chiasson would play RW on the 3rd line, I prefer Michalek to Chiasson.

MacArthur - Z. Smith/Pageau/Legwand/Lazar/Paul/Grant/Zibanejad - Michalek are all possibilities to play centre on the 3rd line.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
we signed ray emery before arb as well.
I honestly cant remember the last player we had actually go to a hearing.

arbitration is something ottawa seems to avoid at all costs. It really is an unpleasant environment, where teams are forced to go out and belittle a player and point out all their flaws in order to 'win' a lower contract. While the exact details never come out, you can be sure that many franchise-player relationships have been damaged in arbitration.

If you have (a whole lot) of spare time, UofT Law's sports and entertainment law society now holds an annual mock salary arbitration competition. Take a look at some of the submissions from law students across the country. http://www.law.utoronto.ca/student-...and-entertainment-law-society/national-hockey

here's an excerpt from one of the submissions on behalf of the canadiens vs eller
For a player valued in large part for his defensive abilities, Mr. Eller had a
plus/minus rating of negative fifteen in the regular season of his platform year3. This
number places him at 823rd best in the league4. He is a minus sixteen overall since being
traded to the club, ending three out of his four seasons with the team with a negative
plus/minus rating. While the player at hand tends to play against opposing teams’ top lines,
his plus/minus rating serves as a strong indication that he has not been very successful at
shutting them down. This is especially notable considering the team finished the regular
season having scored eleven more goals than it conceded5.
Mr. Eller’s offensive numbers leave much to be desired as well. His twelve goals and
fourteen assists for twenty-six points ranks him at 275th in the league in points. Only two of
these points were on the power play, indicating that the coach does not view Mr. Eller
among the top offensive players on the team.

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Was curious what Sens faithful what to see Murray do first. Realise it is a To-Do list and other people's priorities will impact, but from Murray's POV, what should his game plan be?

Was supposed to be a poll, sorry

Sign Cameron
Replace Reads
Sign RFAs
Sign Condra
Move a Goalie
Concentrate on Draft
Move Out Disadvantaged Contracts (Greening, Legwand, etc)
Make a Decision to Trade on Neil (or not)
Make a Decision to Trade Phillips (or not)
Fill Out Binghamton Roster
Other
Acquire Top 4 Defenseman
Acquire Top 6 Forward

Time to revive this thread.

Bolded are completed; Excellent so far.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Andre Tourigny is probably done and they are waiting until July 1 when they no longer have to give up a pick to sign him.

With Hoffman wanting a bigger hit than either Stone or Zibanejad, Murray is probably focused now on

1) The trade of a goalie

2) The Draft - both trade and prospect possibilities.

List is filling out nicely.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Someone wants to make an exact list of what has been done and what is left to be done?

Done:

Sign Cameron
Replace Reads
Sign RFAs
Move a Goalie
Concentrate on Draft
Move Out Disadvantaged Contracts (Legwand and Gryba)

Not done:

Sign Condra and Hoffman
Acquire Top 4 Defenseman
Acquire Top 6 Forward

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Done:

Sign Cameron
Replace Reads
Sign RFAs
Move a Goalie
Concentrate on Draft
Move Out Disadvantaged Contracts (Legwand and Gryba)

Not done:

Sign Condra and Hoffman
Acquire Top 4 Defenseman
Acquire Top 6 Forward

Make a Decision to Trade Neil & Phillips - IMO both will be trade deadline deals & only if both agree to it. My guess is that only Neil agrees to it & most likely will be to Nashville.

Fill Out Binghamton Roster - I believe this is done as well with the number of junior players eligible to play in Bingo this yr.

Acquire Top 4 Defenceman - I just don't think that will happen especially given they just signed Wideman as the highest paid AHL defenceman. I assume he will get called up fairly quickly with the first injury.

Acquire Top 6 Forward - I also doubt this happens July 1 since I believe they already have too many players unless it is Condra that they re-sign. My guess is that they see where they are around the trade deadline & pick up a top 6 forward then, if one is available & they usually are.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO there's two that blow everything out of the water.

1) Re-sign Zib+Stone+Pag to long-term deals

2) Have an excellent draft and mainly an excellent 1st round selection.

If the above 2 come to fruition then we've had a brilliant off-season.

Honestly, an excellent draft is so so important. We could add elite/top end player and 2 NHLers with our first 3 picks. Zibanejad, Puempel, Noesen please. Yea Zibanejad was 6th but it wasnt as strong as this draft.

Then come the other GM duties that separate an excellent GM from an average one such as finding homes for 2/3 of our extra players and adding top 4 defender.

So far done and done. Not long-term deals but good enough. The draft looks excellent. We got a guy who can be top pairing defender and a Bergeron comparable with excellent picks afterwards.

Murray has done very very well so far.

He's even addressed moving out 2 of our extra players in Legwand and Gryba. I still think he is gonna and needs to move one more like Chiasson/Greening/Michalek. Obviously Greening stands out and would be huge if he moves him.

Adding top 4 defender is mandatory unless he thinks very highly of Wier, I still don't see it.

All in all, excellent off-season. Of course the one thing that is killing me is Lehner move to Buffalo. Not so much Lehner being traded(since at least we got a very good piece back which I knew had to be part of the condition of moving Lehner) but that it was to divisional rival. I pray Lehner doesn't haunt us for years to come... argh.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So basically Murray has done a good job of handling a daunting list of things to do. Condra, Gryba, Legwand, Lehner, Zibanejad, Stone, Pageau, pending Chiasson & Hoffman, Schneider, Draft, Coaches, Prospects (O'Connor, etc), Binghamton roster signings - very powerful results in a short time.

But is it enough (is even more needed)? Are we considered now to be a Play Off team, or are we still in a dog-fight for a Wild Card?

Buffalo has improved exponentially and has to be factored into the Play Off equation now. That's very impressive. Columbus is better and will not face the rash of injuries it did last year. Washington has re-loaded by changing parts. The Islanders and Rangers are still very strong, as is Montreal. Kessel makes Pittsburgh's Top 6 deeper and more lethal. Detroit and Tampa are still factors and have added prospects/UFAs. That makes 9 already for 8 spots. Who of those do we have to beat out to make it? (I know - all of them, eventually)

Devils, Carolina, Toronto are the projected weak sisters. Who knows where Boston and Philadelphia are. Florida didn't lose anything and will also add from their deep prospect pool.

I think there is at still more to be done from our point of view to make us contenders, starting with continuing to move out a few more contracts (Greening, Smith, Neil, Phillips) to allow the best players to play (as Cameron wants). Has to be done. Top 6F and Top 4D remain out there, but will cost something. They are the risk/reward pieces that will decide if we are contending or fighting next season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We will be a bubble team next year, that won't change until Zibanejad really explodes and finds more consistency and/or we get another great puck mover on the backend who plays on the left side

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Ottawa doesn't need a top 6 forward, I think Ottawa already has a few candidates for top 6 forward in MacArthur, Hoffman, Michalek, Puempel, Turris, Ryan, Zibanejad & Stone with maybes in Prince, Chiasson & Lazar & they are all mostly young. IMO what is required is an upgrade on the bottom six & while it is possible to upgrade the top six & push someone down to the bottom six we can do that internally with some of the young guys.

On defence, I think they will try another yr with Wiercioch & Cowen in the lineup & see, if one of them can develop into the 2nd pair left shot they desperately need. Wideman will also be given a shot but I think he will be behind Ceci & on the 3rd pairing right side as an injury replacement for now. If one of Cowen or Wiercioch are shown to not be able to retain a roster spot than that guy will likely be traded at some point in a package for a player, prospect or pick(s). Again, the answer could be in their own organization with Claesson or Wideman this yr or Wikstrand who the organization seem to think is quite close or Harpur & Chabot down the road in a few yrs. Eventually they will have to again make a trade to alleviate the number of bodies pushing for NHL jobs but rather than returning players they could very well continue to stock pile draft picks instead & promote internally.

IMO since we often hear that Puempel & Robinson are very close to being in Ottawa over the next yr & Wideman, I think this is the lineup we may eventually see by the end of the season. I could see Neil being traded for draft picks at the trade deadline, if not before.

Puempel - Zibanejad - Ryan
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Pageau - Michalek
Chiasson - Z. Smith - Robinson/Lazar

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Boroweicki/Wideman

Anderson - Hammond/O'Connor

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So basically Murray has done a good job of handling a daunting list of things to do. Condra, Gryba, Legwand, Lehner, Zibanejad, Stone, Pageau, pending Chiasson & Hoffman, Schneider, Draft, Coaches, Prospects (O'Connor, etc), Binghamton roster signings - very powerful results in a short time.

But is it enough (is even more needed)? Are we considered now to be a Play Off team, or are we still in a dog-fight for a Wild Card?

Buffalo has improved exponentially and has to be factored into the Play Off equation now. That's very impressive. Columbus is better and will not face the rash of injuries it did last year. Washington has re-loaded by changing parts. The Islanders and Rangers are still very strong, as is Montreal. Kessel makes Pittsburgh's Top 6 deeper and more lethal. Detroit and Tampa are still factors and have added prospects/UFAs. That makes 9 already for 8 spots. Who of those do we have to beat out to make it? (I know - all of them, eventually)

Devils, Carolina, Toronto are the projected weak sisters. Who knows where Boston and Philadelphia are. Florida didn't lose anything and will also add from their deep prospect pool.

I think there is at still more to be done from our point of view to make us contenders, starting with continuing to move out a few more contracts (Greening, Smith, Neil, Phillips) to allow the best players to play (as Cameron wants). Has to be done. Top 6F and Top 4D remain out there, but will cost something. They are the risk/reward pieces that will decide if we are contending or fighting next season.

I don't see Buffalo in the playoff equation at all. Their d still sucks and Lehner is still vastly unproven. I see them as a bottom 10 team next season. They will improve, but not enough to make the playoffs. Of course anything can happen, but i just don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad