Speculation: Murray's Priority List

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I also don't think Dorion should be our next GM.
Ok sure ,but when you look at what,s happening, it seems very likely he is our next GM .He is handling all the nhl contracts ,attending all the big tourney,s and general handling of all the day to day chores of a gm .It sure looks like he is being groomed to take that job,BM looks like he is just there now to give advice.and lend him his rolladex of NHL gm,s phone numbers

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Watching these playoffs, I think we need one more top forward with skill & scoring ability. That's my #1 target.

If it were me, I'd also be tempted to add a solid/steady dman, but I think a bit of patience is warranted and we need to start another year with Ceci, PW & Cowen developing before we add back there. Wait until the deadline and see if we still have a need and add then if so.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Based on OP

1- Concentrate on Draft
2- Sign RFAs to long-term deals
3- Move Hammond or Anderson
4- Waive Greening (if you can't trade him), let Condra walk (as good as he has been), let Phillips and Neil retire (if they want)
5- Package Chiasson, Gryba and a 2nd for Top-4 D-man to play with Ceci

Methot-Karlsson
Top4-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
BorowieckiWiercioch

6- Sign Cameron
7- Replace Reads
8- Fill Out Binghamton Roster
9- Other
10- Acquire Top 6 Forward : NO unless it's for a STAR forward LW, impact player... If not :

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Legwand-Smith-Prince

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We need a forward and maybe a defence men

We could barely get plays going against mtl in the offensively zone

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Based on OP

1- Concentrate on Draft
4- Waive Greening (if you can't trade him), let Condra walk (as good as he has been), let Phillips and Neil retire (if they want)

Methot-Karlsson
Top4-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
BorowieckiWiercioch

6- Sign Cameron
7- Replace Reads
9- Other
10- Acquire Top 6 Forward : NO unless it's for a STAR forward LW, impact player... If not :

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Legwand-Smith-Prince

Interesting you'd move Hammond. I think that has a lot of weight. Unpopular, but Lehner has not finished his development as of yet.

Michalek could play the 4RW as well, leaving Prince as the 3LW. Really hope they can move Legwand and Smith out and Neil and Phillips retire.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Top 4 defenceman is what I would have the number 1 priority as.

Everything else comes after. If we can package guys like Chiasson, Gryba, and goalie etc. then great, but it effects our needs different than a UFA signing. I would hope for a draft day trade.

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Based on OP

1- Concentrate on Draft

Methot-Karlsson
Top4-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
BorowieckiWiercioch

6- Sign Cameron
7- Replace Reads
9- Other

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Legwand-Smith-Prince

No team would trade for Hammond.
Also why let Condra walk? He's a great bottom 6 player.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No team would trade for Hammond.
Also why let Condra walk? He's a great bottom 6 player.

He's great but he's a UFA and this is likely going to be his one-time opportunity to cash-in on his NHL career

We have RFAs that are going to command serious raises and that means sacrifices are going to have to be made

It won't be letting Condra go because he's no good, it's letting him go so he can make the most money he can

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We need a forward and maybe a defence men

We could barely get plays going against mtl in the offensively zone

To me our transition game was hurt by poor break out compared to the end regular season. To me montreal the forwards were fine but structurally or the system we played made it hard to create against montreal. I saw nothing a skilled forward would change against montreal unless it was a super star forward. I think its pointless to add just a top 6 forward when its likely in my mind that Prince can feel that role soon. Maybe even puempel

One thing to consider is that smooth defensemen can help the offense by clean passes to players and motion and breaking up plays before they start in the defensive zone. I thought montreals defense was great at breaking up plays early and then counter attacking well the sens defense struggled in that regard

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
To me, the #1 priority is a RH puck moving defenceman, that is assuming Boro will recover nicely from his hernia surgery and be the decent #6/7 d man he can be. Ideally I'd like to see Ceci move down and slot to the 3rd pair, and if we can get a guy can pass and skate like Matt Niskanen or Anton Stralman, and Wier continues his play late in the season and playoffs, I think we would have the D-core to challenge the top teams in the East. It may sound like a stretch to some, a guy like that can take 22-23 minutes, and probably reduce EK's minutes a bit, and Ceci do not need to be exposed too much (I think he still has a ways to go before he can be that guy).

The forward group is mostly fine, plus Puempel, Prince, Paul, etc will push for spots. You can have a young, fast and skilled forward group, and score plenty to win games.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Watching these playoffs, I think we need one more top forward with skill & scoring ability. That's my #1 target.

If it were me, I'd also be tempted to add a solid/steady dman, but I think a bit of patience is warranted and we need to start another year with Ceci, PW & Cowen developing before we add back there. Wait until the deadline and see if we still have a need and add then if so.

Agreed.
ROR - would certainly change our top 6 & add significantly more offence & good defensive play to the top 6. Whether he plays centre or LW he would move one of Zibanejad or Hoffman down to the 3rd line to create another good scoring line. The problem is that ROR could be very expensive to acquire.

Lucic - adding the big tough LWer would give Ottawa the coveted power forward they have always wanted & put some fear in the eyes of teams coming to Ottawa. While he isn't a great offensive contributor Ottawa has enough good scoring forwards to surround him with. Just don't know what the cost would be to acquire one of the toughest players in the NHL.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
1. Get rid of Greening and Legwand (will most likely be done)
2. Trade Anderson (will most likely be done)
3. Somehow convince Phillips and Neil to retire (will hopefully.. be done)
4. Acquire Top six F and/or top four D in a Bobby Ryan type deal (will possibly be done.. we'll see)

Sets us up good.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. Get rid of Greening and Legwand (will most likely be done)
2. Trade Anderson (will most likely be done)
3. Somehow convince Phillips and Neil to retire (will hopefully.. be done)
4. Acquire Top six F and/or top four D in a Bobby Ryan type deal (will possibly be done.. we'll see)

Sets us up good.

1. How do they get rid of Greening & Legwand if no one wants them & they have guaranteed contracts? Easier said then done. Greening is more likely to be either bought out or waived & end up in Bingo again.
2. Most think it will be Lehner who is traded, not Anderson, but it will be interesting to see. My guess, is that Lehner is moved at the draft.
3. Why exactly should Phillips & Neil retire & leave $2 mil on the table, especially given that they both still think they can contribute? Would you? Neil might get moved at the deadline but IMO Phillips will retire at the end of next season when his contract is over & not move.
4. One is possible but both are less likely given that Ottawa has 8 defencemen. They would have to trade at least two defencemen to acquire another defenceman which seems unlikely.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To me our transition game was hurt by poor break out compared to the end regular season. To me montreal the forwards were fine but structurally or the system we played made it hard to create against montreal. I saw nothing a skilled forward would change against montreal unless it was a super star forward. I think its pointless to add just a top 6 forward when its likely in my mind that Prince can feel that role soon. Maybe even puempel

One thing to consider is that smooth defensemen can help the offense by clean passes to players and motion and breaking up plays before they start in the defensive zone. I thought montreals defense was great at breaking up plays early and then counter attacking well the sens defense struggled in that regard

What he said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad