Speculation: Murray's Priority List

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Was curious what Sens faithful what to see Murray do first. Realise it is a To-Do list and other people's priorities will impact, but from Murray's POV, what should his game plan be?

Was supposed to be a poll, sorry

Sign Cameron
Replace Reads
Sign RFAs
Sign Condra
Move a Goalie
Concentrate on Draft
Move Out Disadvantaged Contracts (Greening, Legwand, etc)
Make a Decision to Trade on Neil (or not)
Make a Decision to Trade Phillips (or not)
Fill Out Binghamton Roster
Other
Acquire Top 4 Defenseman
Acquire Top 6 Forward

Last edited:

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Trade PW.

Retire Phillips.

Move Legwand, Greening ........

Move a goaltender

Resign all the RFA...... ECT

Oppps more than 1 oh well, a lot for GM B Murray to do.............. Always is a lot for him to do......

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sign Stone, Zibanejad, and Pageau to long term deals
Trade Legwand for a late pick
Buy out Greening
Sign Hoffman and Chiasson to short(er) term contracts (I have a feeling Hoff goes to arbitration)
Sign Wideman to a 1 year contract
Trade Lehner or Andy at the draft for picks
Trade one of Wiercioch or Cowen + Picks/prospects for a legitimate top 4 LD.
Hopefully resign Condra

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
"Lethal":

I know wishful thinking on my part.....................

Could Ottawa make him a assistant coach, or a scout or something else, if he would retire NOW???????????????????

Well, he's getting fairly "seasoned". His injury and surgery are fairly substantial and there are multiple young guys pushing for his spot.

Just don't be too surprised if he does retire this off-season. It could happen.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
1. Lock up Stone and Zibby long term
2. Move 1-2 of our D + deadweight (Gryba + Phillips would be ideal, Neil, Legwand, maybe Smith)
3. Sign/trade for top 4 D
4. Draft potential top 4 D
5. If that fails promote internally (Wideman, Wickstrand, Claesson, Harpur?)
6. If goalies aren't involved in trade for D then dangle them to acquire one more top 6 piece
7. Resign Pageau, Hoffman and offer Condra a low 2yr deal.
8. Hire an assistant coach
9. Give Prince, Puempel legit shots at making the roster

10. REAP REWARDS OF HOPEFULLY HAVING A HEALTHY TEAM ON AND OFF THE ICE

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO there's two that blow everything out of the water.

1) Re-sign Zib+Stone+Pag to long-term deals

2) Have an excellent draft and mainly an excellent 1st round selection.

If the above 2 come to fruition then we've had a brilliant off-season.

Honestly, an excellent draft is so so important. We could add elite/top end player and 2 NHLers with our first 3 picks. Zibanejad, Puempel, Noesen please. Yea Zibanejad was 6th but it wasnt as strong as this draft.

Then come the other GM duties that separate an excellent GM from an average one such as finding homes for 2/3 of our extra players and adding top 4 defender.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Trade PW.

Retire Phillips.

Move Legwand, Greening ........

Move a goaltender

Resign all the RFA...... ECT

Oppps more than 1 oh well, a lot for GM B Murray to do.............. Always is a lot for him to do......

Blade Runner! Call Harrison Ford! :scared:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The Sens need to drop 1 goalie, possibly lose 1 D and more importantly reduce the forward ranks by 2 or 3 to make room for AHL promotions and whoever comes back in the goalie trade.

I put the goalie trade at the top of BM's list.

I doubt the D is a priority since Cameron and BM seemed satisfied with them in their late season push and Cowen had the excuse of being injured. Most are young and have potential for growth. If Phillips decides to retire that will solve the numbers issue leaving only 1 extra in the rotation.

As far as the forwards they need to clear some space. The reality is that they want to move older guys and that is more difficult until the trade deadline next spring so it won't help now. Clearing 1 spot comes from not re-signing Condra ( I doubt this is their preference. They'd love to keep him at the right price). A second spot could come from buying out Greening or just waiving him hoping he gets taken or stays as an expensive spare part in the AHL (again not their preference nor his). A 3rd could come from starting Lazar in the AHL (Neither side would like this but pure numbers could force this if it comes down to losing Prince or Robinson to waivers because of roster spots).

I really think everything hinges on which goalie goes and if they can make a package deal to drop a forward at the same time to make up for who might come back.

btw) The RFA's are a work in progress and all things considered barring a surprise trade they will all be there in the fall

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. Let Condra walk.
2. Buy-out Greening.
3. Sign all of the RFAs to hopefully decent contracts.
4. Re-sign G. Grant, A. Grant & C. Wideman, let all the other UFAs go.
5. 2015 NHL Entry Draft:
- 1st rd pick - Paul Bittner LW
- 2nd rd pick - Brandon Carlo RD
- 2nd rd pick - Zachary Senyshyn RW
6. Trade Lehner in a package to Boston for Lucic (Hoffman, Smith, Wideman ...)
7. Trade Wiercioch in a package to Colorado for ROR (Pageau, Chiasson, Prince ...)
8. Trade Legwand & Neil to Nashville for Austin Watson RW.
9. Graduate D. Grant, M. Puempel & B. Robinson if there is roster space available & send Lazar to Bingo to develop his offensive game at centre.
10. If possible & if there is room on the roster & under the imposed internal salary cap, sign the best available top 4 UFA offensive defencemen for 2 or 3 yrs on July 1 & if available & possible sign Chris Stewart RW for the bottom six to a cheap contract.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
1. Let Condra walk.
2. Buy-out Greening.
5. 2015 NHL Entry Draft:
7. Trade Wiercioch in a package to Colorado for ROR (Pageau, Chiasson, Prince ...)
9. Graduate D. Grant, M. Puempel & B. Robinson if there is roster space available & send Lazar to Bingo to develop his offensive game at centre.
10. If possible & if there is room on the roster & under the imposed internal salary cap, sign the best available top 4 UFA offensive defencemen for 2 or 3 yrs on July 1 & if available & possible sign Chris Stewart RW for the bottom six to a cheap contract.

Your number one priority this offseason is to let Condra walk?

I know I'm a biased Condra fan, but come on.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
1. Let Condra walk.
2. Buy-out Greening.
5. 2015 NHL Entry Draft:

No to trading Pageau! If people are sad about losing Silf, we'd all be sad at losing Pageau.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
1. Let Condra walk.
2. Buy-out Greening.
5. 2015 NHL Entry Draft:
9. Graduate D. Grant & B. Robinson & send Lazar to Bingo to develop his offensive game at centre.

"Aragorn":

I would resign D Grant but I would let A Grant walk it would be better to resign A Johnson.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Pageau is an easily replaceable bottom six plug. The team should not give him any real money. He is an energy guy and those are a dime a dozen.

Priority should be getting rid of Phillips, Neil and Legwand money and getting a real top D to complement Karlsson. Rest will take care of itself.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
"Aragorn":

I would resign D Grant but I would let A Grant walk it would be better to resign A Johnson.

Zeke - you have mentioned that before, I assume you are not an A. Grant fan but isn't he younger than Johnson? I thought Johnson was on the backend of his career & they would prefer a younger defencemen & a more offensive defencemen in Grant. Why do you prefer Johnson?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Your number one priority this offseason is to let Condra walk?

I know I'm a biased Condra fan, but come on.

LOL - Condra is the easiest player to replace.

No to trading Pageau! If people are sad about losing Silf, we'd all be sad at losing Pageau.

I won't be but he is a good hard working player.

Trading Pageau would be so stupid. Unless he's a big part of a package for Couture or someone better, hell no.

Isn't ROR better?

Pageau is an easily replaceable bottom six plug. The team should not give him any real money. He is an energy guy and those are a dime a dozen.

Priority should be getting rid of Phillips, Neil and Legwand money and getting a real top D to complement Karlsson. Rest will take care of itself.

Agree on Pageau but isn't Methot a complement to Karlsson or I assume you would prefer a more offensive defencemen to play with Karlsson? I doubt anyone will take Phillips or that he will go anywhere & will likely play out his contract & retire at the end of next season.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Name one guy in Binghampton who has worked as hard as Pageau has and gives his 100% every shift?

You really need to have more respect for the role players... Look at teams like LA, CHI, NYI, STL, ANA, and the NYR who have committed role players long term. They are a major part of a team's playoff success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad