News Article: Murray likely to step down after season, will pick his own successor

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Corvo was self-defeating by the end of his tenure in Ottawa, and Eaves amounted to little. and Stillman wasn't too bad.

both were good in Ottawa.
Stillman didnt add much that Eaves couldnt
Commodre was terrble

hindsight

Eaves declined due to injuries but still was a decent bottom 6 forward
Stillman who repeatedly was called a goal scorer sucked at ...well scoring goals
Corvo would continue to be a good offensive defensemen for years to come including being a top pairing Dman in Carolina.
Commodre was terrible and would leave the NHL after 1 more good season
Both UFAs in commodore and stillman would not resign

So we traded an RFA 20 goal scorer for a ufa non goal scorer
Dynamic offensive defensemen with term for toughness that could barely play hockey and was a ufa

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
you knew Corvo's time was up. he couldn't handle the pressure

i dont believe in trading players because of off ice issues. Especially when its not noticeably effecting their play.

1) You either help the player out.
2) you buy out/terminate the contract if its something as bad as the Voynov situation reportedly is
3) You dont cater to a player whining about pressure when they are under contract and benefiting the team. Ride it out.

if you trade prime corvo dont trade him for players who arent in the future plans

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
off-ice issues? he buckled, it was clear in his voice.

still had 27 points in ottawa well buckling

would go to be 2 points under ppg as a hurricane that year

From a team need perceptive we desperately needed Corvo. We were not at liberty to trade away what he brought to the team. With Redden's decline and mez being moved this would have a terrible effect on the sens line up for years to come.

The difference in Corvo with term over UFA Commodore
was not worth the marginal upgrade if any of
ufa stillman over RFA Eaves

If karlsson comes out tomorrow and says he wants a trade because Brennan is mean to him you dont move him. If you do move him you dont move him for inferior assets that arent part of your plan moving forward

I find it absolutely crazy people can defend this. I can understand the argument people make when confronted(corvo wanted out) with this trade but i dont know how it wasnt bad at the time and in hindsight. Everything Murray says in the interview is about how much better this deal would make the team. It didnt make the team better. Thats all you need to know.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
a player is to be traded
> you field the market
> you take the best that's offered

??? you're working on the premise that corvo had to be traded. Unless corvo started absolutely tanking it on the ice you dont have to trade him. Based on how Corvo was performing and how bad it would be for corvo's career if he started tanking it i dont think he was or would tank

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah I'd rather randy lee over Dorion if it is going to be one of the two.
Awesome guy lee is.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
he was playing poorly. he admitted as such, it was clear as day that the premise was true

No... Commodore was playing poorly. Corvo was playing the exact same way he had for his whole career. I dont care if he says he thinks he was bad. He was an offensive defensemen who was putting up points and was 6th on the team in plus minus.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Shero GM
Alfie AGM - Player Relations (Assists coaches in helping players deal with issues on and off the ice. Mentor Captain and Associate captains.) Talks to potential free agents during grace period.
Dorion AGM - Futures (scouting, drafting)
Lee AGM - Player development. Runs Bingo, monitors health of players through training staff and ensures players come back when they are ready and not before.

That is what I would like to see.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Shero GM
Alfie AGM - Player Relations (Assists coaches in helping players deal with issues on and off the ice. Mentor Captain and Associate captains.) Talks to potential free agents during grace period.
Dorion AGM - Futures (scouting, drafting)
Lee AGM - Player development. Runs Bingo, monitors health of players through training staff and ensures players come back when they are ready and not before.

That is what I would like to see.

I dont know if shero is the right person. Not sure how big a factor he was in nashville but in Pittsburgh he wasnt really constrained by a budget and was gifted one of the most talented rosters in the league. Over his time in pitt did he draft a single consequential player? His draft history is average at best. I wouldnt hate the idea of him taking over but i think we could do better.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Doesn't Shero have a horrible draft record compared to Murray? if the main method of acquiring talent is through the draft, I wont feel comfortable knowing he has the final say on picks.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Shero was GM from 2006 to 2014.

In that time he's drafted a whole lot of nothing. Like seriously awful.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I'm really hoping Murray's advisor role will still allow him to have significant input into the team moving forward...especially at the draft this year.

Anyways, not really a knock on Dave Cameron, but Shero better be bringing Dan Bylsma over here with him.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm really hoping Murray's advisor role will still allow him to have significant input into the team moving forward...especially at the draft this year.

Anyways, not really a knock on Dave Cameron, but Shero better be bringing Dan Bylsma over here with him.

I dont understand why we'd trade Cameron for Bylsma when we know Cameron is succeeding as the coach. We were bottom 5 with shots for and against this season. Under Cameron were top 10 i believe.

I'm not against acquiring Bylsma although i think we could find a better coach but i think it would be hilarious to fire Cameron when hes getting the team to perform fairly well.

Lets at least let Cameron fail before hes fired lol

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Bylsma is not a good coach.

The lines with Bylsma would be:

MacArthur-Turris-Neil
Michalek-Legwand-Ryan
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He's a guy, like Roger Neilson, who the organization needs to look after with support for a legacy idea. Roger's House is huge in the community in so many ways. They need to find something similar to honour Brian.

A banner to the rafters in the builder's section. Hall of Fame consideration for a great career. I wish we had him before the Ducks got him and we hired Muckler. That would have made all the difference I think.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Bylsma is out of the realm of possibility with Melynk as the owner.

Shero could be okay. His wins and losses in Pittsburgh are probably more a result of having Sid and Malkin than actually doing great GM work, and he always struggle to find players for them to play with.

I always thought his deadline deals were good for the most part, even if some of them didn't pan out. Not sure he's the best GM for a team in flux like we are though.

I wish Tim Murray had've stayed though. Would've loved that guy as a GM, but greener pastures elsewhere obviously. Don't blame him for taking a job with an owner that could buy the moon.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
When the time comes :( I would like to see them hire Julien Brisebois from Tampa

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I dont know if shero is the right person. Not sure how big a factor he was in nashville but in Pittsburgh he wasnt really constrained by a budget and was gifted one of the most talented rosters in the league. Over his time in pitt did he draft a single consequential player? His draft history is average at best. I wouldnt hate the idea of him taking over but i think we could do better.

However it plays out, I hope Dorian stays to handle the drafting of our future and Lee stays to handle their development. I even think the Alfie addition is an interesting twist.

Need a senior GM who can manage those three personalities, all of whom have expectations, into a team and can still relate to Melnyk's input as well...

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Julien Brisebois please. He's Yzerman assistant in Tampa. If not him, Paul Fenton.

For the love of all that is holy, LET'S NOT PROMOTE SOMEONE FROM THIS ORGANIZATION. This franchise is stale to death and in need of new ideas from the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad