Confirmed with Link: Multiple staff leave Leafs front office

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
We haven't picked players from Russia all that much in the past decade so the sample size is fairly low before this new front office. Between 2006 and 2014, the Leafs drafted ZERO players out of the Russian development system or the KHL. That's absurd.

Our US amateur scouting has been FAR worst. So many wasted picks. Bracco looks to be the best player drafted out of there since freaking Jimmy Hayes and Matt Frattin.

Bracco was actually drafted out of the OHL Kitchener Rangers - so not an amateur US pick. But agreed on the point - Piccinich, Toninato, etc. Woll seems like he may be the real deal though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You seem to be the one who keeps flaming everyone at every opportunity.

I have one post in this thread. Where else am I flaming everyone? ive seen many posters upset Dubas was picked of hunter and then take slight jabs at what dubas does. I personally didn't care who they picked we now have Dubas so great lets let him f*** up then we can get on his back

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bracco was actually drafted out of the OHL Kitchener Rangers - so not an amateur US pick. But agreed on the point - Piccinich, Toninato, etc. Woll seems like he may be the real deal though.

No, he was drafted out of the USDP and actually went to Boston College for 5 games before going to the Rangers. So while he developed in the OHL, he was scouted out of the US program.

Woll seems ok. The rest are all... eh.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Expected. Expect more names to be gone once they officially bring in Wes Clark, which has to be on the verge of being official at this point.

Expect more names gone (Hofford), and a potentially a very surprising hire.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
No, he was drafted out of the USDP and actually went to Boston College for 5 games before going to the Rangers. So while he developed in the OHL, he was scouted out of the US program.

Woll seems ok. The rest are all... eh.

Ahh......didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have one post in this thread. Where else am I flaming everyone? ive seen many posters upset Dubas was picked of hunter and then take slight jabs at what dubas does. I personally didn't care who they picked we now have Dubas so great lets let him **** up then we can get on his back
You posted right away like in other threads similar posts. It is pure flaming. No one had posted nothing about Dubas yet.

Let people complain his record will stand on its own good or bad.

Me I was not in favour of either as our GM but did prefer Hunter over Dubas for Drafting.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Only one that's disappointing is Namestnikov, since he was the one to lead us to Zaitsev, Ozhiganov and Soshnikov.

My understanding is Zaitsev actually is the one who suggested we look at Ozhiganov.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You posted right away like in other threads similar posts. It is pure flaming. No one had posted nothing about Dubas yet.

Let people complain his record will stand on its own good or bad.

Me I was not in favour of either as our GM but did prefer Hunter over Dubas for Drafting.

And yet there's no evidence at this point that Hunter is any better at NHL drafting than Dubas.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We haven't picked players from Russia all that much in the past decade so the sample size is fairly low before this new front office. Between 2006 and 2014, the Leafs drafted ZERO players out of the Russian development system or the KHL. That's absurd.

Our US amateur scouting has been FAR worst. So many wasted picks. Bracco looks to be the best player drafted out of there since freaking Jimmy Hayes and Matt Frattin.

Well it is Ladygin's job to point those guys out. They obivously gave him a shot to prove himself after not getting anything from there before, but in the 4 years since then Dubas must not have been happy at what he's done. I think he was the one who definitely got kicked out.

And maybe things change, but John Lilley was promoted to director of US scouting. I think he is the only one who survived the purge out of that region. Maybe he is the one guy who has been good.

Since 07', the Leafs have drafted Hayes, Pateryn, Knodel, D'Amigo, Ryan, Biggs, Cameranesi, Everson, Toninato, Vesey, Piccinich, Joshua, Bracco, Woll and Greenway from US programs. It's not the best group, but there are some decent NHLers in there. You also have to remember that there is a lot of Burke bias littered in these picks as well that probably had a negative impact on the overall success of the selections.

Since 2014/2015 it has been a lot better. Outside of Vesey, which was as much of a charity 6th round pick (for his father who is a scout here) and a pitch tool to get his brother more than being a legit selection, the worst selection has probably been Piccinich in the 4th, but I think he could start working his way up as a late bloomer. Bracco, Woll, Greenway (minus the personal issues) and Joshua all look like good picks. Maybe they do not all turn out, but at the very least Bracco and Woll were considered higher end prospects for the Leafs. Who knows, with Martino potentially leaving and maybe Vesey Sr. following him, the Leafs could be looking at giving Lilley a new staff to work with.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Bracco didn't go to the OHL until after he got drafted. I believe he played a few college games.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
And yet there's no evidence at this point that Hunter is any better at NHL drafting than Dubas.
Dont you understand? We need more Keaton Middleton's.
Hunter is such a wonder scouting expert for finding players like him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

If there is any evidence of anything, it seems that Hunter's (and Lou's) penchant for drafting defense behemoths who can't skate very well wasn't a great strategy for acquiring talent worthy of an ELC.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It is my opinion. The evidence available to us right now supports Hunter as being very good at drafting and it should only get better.

It does?

2015: Marner, Dermott .. unknowns
2016: Matthew, Grundstrom .. unknowns
2017: Liljegren .. unknowns

Marner, Matthews & Liljegren were easy picks.

In 2015, Dubas had more say in our draft than he did in either 2016 and 2017, and as also being an OHL guy I'm not prepared to give Hunter all the credit for Dermott.

Beyond that Grundstrom looks like a player... and honestly who knows what others eventually make it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad