Confirmed with Link: Multiple staff leave Leafs front office

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It does?

2015: Marner, Dermott .. unknowns
2016: Matthew, Grundstrom .. unknowns
2017: Liljegren .. unknowns

Marner, Matthews & Liljegren were easy picks.

In 2015, Dubas had more say in our draft than he did in either 2016 and 2017, and as also being an OHL guy I'm not prepared to give Hunter all the credit for Dermott.

Beyond that Grundstrom looks like a player... and honestly who knows what others eventually make it.
You do realize only something like 20% of second rounders become legitimate NHLers right? If he got 2 in 5 second round picks, that's pretty good. Also, no picks outside of Matthews were easy. There were always other contenders for those picks, and he looks to have chosen the right guy. Marner vs Hanifin was heavily debated. Hell, most of Bob's scouts had Hanifin ahead of Marner, Central Scouting had Crouse and Hanifin ahead of him. Again, with Liljegren, there were higher rated guys left by both CSB and Bob's list.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Expected. Expect more names to be gone once they officially bring in Wes Clark, which has to be on the verge of being official at this point.

Expect more names gone (Hofford), and a potentially a very surprising hire.
What are your thoughts on Clark?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You do realize only something like 20% of second rounders become legitimate NHLers right? If he got 2 in 5 second round picks, that's pretty good. Also, no picks outside of Matthews were easy. There were always other contenders for those picks, and he looks to have chosen the right guy. Marner vs Hanifin was heavily debated. Hell, most of Bob's scouts had Hanifin ahead of Marner, Central Scouting had Crouse and Hanifin ahead of him. Again, with Liljegren, there were higher rated guys left by both CSB and Bob's list.

Marner vs Hanifin could still be heavily debated. Really it seems it was always between them and Provorov and it looks like to this point there were no bad choices to make. Hence why it was easy imo.

As for Liljegren. He was one of the highest rated players coming into his draft year and had his season completely sidetracked by mono. When he slipped to us, being a RHD especially, the package was too tantalizing to pass up.

Grundstrom at early glance looks like a good pick in the 2nd (yes I'm aware of success rates), we'll see how he keeps developing, but he gets props for that one. Dermott is far less clear how much of that pick was Hunter, so he gets half credit for that one.

Als0 it's not like Hunter makes picks in a silo. It's debatable how much he actually personally watched a player like Grundstrom vs trusting the scouts in place.

I'm not saying he was bad. I'm not saying he was good. I'm saying jury is out on whether his drafting in Toronto vs Dubas makes a lick of difference.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What are your thoughts on Clark?
He's not ready for a senior role if he gets one. And, he'll only get one because he's friends with Dubas. Its completely an old boys network type hire, except these guys are the new school. I'm pretty skeptical of it, but if you trust Dubas, you should trust his hires.

Reactions: saltming

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner vs Hanifin could still be heavily debated. Really it seems it was always between them and Provorov and it looks like to this point there were no bad choices to make. Hence why it was easy imo.

As for Liljegren. He was one of the highest rated players coming into his draft year and had his season completely sidetracked by mono. When he slipped to us, being a RHD especially, the package was too tantalizing to pass up.

Grundstrom at early glance looks like a good pick in the 2nd (yes I'm aware of success rates), we'll see how he keeps developing, but he gets props for that one. Dermott is far less clear how much of that pick was Hunter, so he gets half credit for that one.

Als0 it's not like Hunter makes picks in a silo. It's debatable how much he actually personally watched a player like Grundstrom vs trusting the scouts in place.

I'm not saying he was bad. I'm not saying he was good. I'm saying jury is out on whether his drafting in Toronto vs Dubas makes a lick of difference.
Why is Dermott less clear if he was a Hunter pick? Dubas had control over trades (which frustrated the scouting staff), but that was a Hunter/Hofford/Paliafito pick.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012

With an emphasis as to how nonsensical it was to consider selecting Hanifin over Marner perhaps.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And likely held pretty different views from Dubas. Likely more to a firing than simply “he was friends with a guy”
Its a clearout of Hunters guys. Expect more names to follow, and Dubas will replace them with his buddies. Some of the names I've heard floated will get an interesting response around here.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
With an emphasis as to how nonsensical it was to consider selecting Hanifin over Marner perhaps.

Don't get me wrong I like Marner pick for us. But Hanifin still has an extremely high ceiling himself and defenseman generally take longer.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Expected. Expect more names to be gone once they officially bring in Wes Clark, which has to be on the verge of being official at this point.

Expect more names gone (Hofford), and a potentially a very surprising hire.

I'm pretty meh on Hofford, if Dubas wants to shoot him into the sun have at it I say, the only guy I don't like losing is the one grabbing the UFA'S out of Russia, he's been pretty solid whoever that is

I can't say I'm thrilled with Clark either but if he's not an area manager or head scout it's not as bad as it could be I guess?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its a clearout of Hunters guys. Expect more names to follow, and Dubas will replace them with his buddies. Some of the names I've heard floated will get an interesting response around here.

Well it’s normal to bring in people that you’re close with, I mean that’s exactly what Hunter did when he was hired.

But there is clearly as it has been reported a fairly wide divide between how Dubas and Hunter viewed the game, so it’s also not surprising that Dubas would have pretty different views from hunters fellow scouts and as such reason to replace them.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why is Dermott less clear if he was a Hunter pick? Dubas had control over trades (which frustrated the scouting staff), but that was a Hunter/Hofford/Paliafito pick.

Dubas had clear input in the 2015 draft which he did not have in 2016 and 2017 and also a knowledge of the OHL. I'm not just taking it for granted that Hunter was the guy who wanted Dermott most. May have been, but there is no way to quantify that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm pretty meh on Hofford, if Dubas wants to shoot him into the sun have at it I say, the only guy I don't like losing is the one grabbing the UFA'S out of Russia, he's been pretty solid whoever that is

I can't say I'm thrilled with Clark either but if he's not an area manager or head scout it's not as bad as it could be I guess?
Hofford was kept in check by basically having Hunter with him monitoring the same region. That won't happen with Clark, who will be given free reign over Ontario at a minimum.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dubas had clear input in the 2015 draft which he did not have in 2016 and 2017 and also a knowledge of the OHL. I'm not just taking it for granted that Hunter was the guy who wanted Dermott most. May have been, but there is no way to quantify that.
Hunter had full say over picks in 2015, just not the trading down aspect of it which was a contentious issue.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Great, it wasn't reported Hunter would quit in November if Dubas was hired. Guess what happened.

Ive seen it reported from different writers that Dubas had input on the the ‘15 draft, but that influence was essentially cut off for the ‘16-17 drafts. So it doesn’t sound as if Hunter was completely full decisions without any oversight/influence

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ive seen it reported from different writers that Dubas had input on the the ‘15 draft, but that influence was essentially cut off for the ‘16-17 drafts. So it doesn’t sound as if Hunter was completely full decisions without any oversight/influence
Dubas had control over trades, and therefore could force a trade down (which he did). But, Hunter had final say on all picks. To try to say he only gets half credit on Dermott is ridiculous. He ran our scouting meetings and our board. It is trying to devalue what Hunter did at the time.

This set-up clearly wasn't going to work, and was contentious with Shanahan not wanting to be the deciding vote, hence why he brought Lou in, and sent Hunter and Dubas to their own parts of the organization, as he realized that a co-gm situation or one answering to the other wasn't going to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->