Rumor: Muller to be let go

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think the bigger issue was with the fact that Kirk was such a good assistant in Montreal as the go-between friendly guy. Those kinds of assistants can never transfer into a Head Coaching job because you go from being buddy buddy, to running the ship and having to put people in their place.

Oh well. If he did want to come back as an assistant I'd be good with it, but I also like Gallant.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like a good idea, but let's hope it doesn't happen because that would mean a loss versus tampa bay. Only way that MB fires MT.

EDIT:

Also, and I include myself there, we all have a tendency to think everything would be perfect with the people we want in place but they likely would have their own faults and do things that pisses us off.

Unless there is a convincing 4-5 game first round exit, I still think MT is very safe for next year.

The team has to show total stagnation in the playoffsto put some heat on MT.... And even then, its not an automatic firing.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Unless there is a convincing 4-5 game first round exit, I still think MT is very safe for next year.

The team has to show total stagnation in the playoffsto put some heat on MT.... And even then, its not an automatic firing.

Thing is, I look at the TBL and I don't see a great roster. We should be able to beat them. But you're probably right that a simple loss likely wouldn't be enough.

But personally I'm due for a long playoffs run. Don't care who's the coach.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'm not sure Muller wouldn't coach the Bulldogs. He needs success as a head coach on his resume if he wants to be a head coach in the NHL, that's why he left the assistant coach position in Montreal to be a head coach in the AHL.

I think Sylvain Lefebvre is horrible coach, much worse at his job than Therrien.

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Was kirk really that bad as a HC?

I always thought the canes roster left something to be desired. They have a lot of good pieces, but not really depth or a great defense

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Yes - the fascination with Boucher here really baffles me.

Yea..true, but Boucher does seem like a smart coach. He's tactical. Yea, it didn't work out for him at the end, but he did get Tampa to a game away from getting to the Cup and that was without their starting goalie.

Therrien isn't tactical at all. He's a rah rah, send a message type of coach. Those coaches never last too long.

I don't know about Muller. Sometimes you need to fail a time or two before you get it together. I think a second time around with the right team, he could win.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
So how does they PP fare with Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Skinner, Semin, Sekera and Faulk?

A good PP is more than just having good players. It's about the system and how the players work within it.

Eric Staal fell off a while ago. He's just a name now. Jordan Staal is a 3rd liner. What makes him so great? His name. Skinner is good. Semin is streaky. Who is the QB on that PP? Who is the passer? Need more than just good players.

Look at Montreal. Subban, Markov, Max and Vanek. Can't score.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
yeah, Boucher, Muller, and Robinson would be really sound. I feel like they would have a sick defensive system

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
A good PP is more than just having good players. It's about the system and how the players work within it.

Eric Staal fell off a while ago. He's just a name now. Jordan Staal is a 3rd liner. What makes him so great? His name. Skinner is good. Semin is streaky. Who is the QB on that PP? Who is the passer? Need more than just good players.

Look at Montreal. Subban, Markov, Max and Vanek. Can't score.

Pitkanen isn't that bad, also Eric Stall number went down after Muller came in.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I think the bigger issue was with the fact that Kirk was such a good assistant in Montreal as the go-between friendly guy. Those kinds of assistants can never transfer into a Head Coaching job because you go from being buddy buddy, to running the ship and having to put people in their place.

Oh well. If he did want to come back as an assistant I'd be good with it, but I also like Gallant.

I agree but I think that a big factor when a guy is coming a head coach of the same team he served as ast coach while being that go to friendly guy.

When Muller came in, he went in with guys he never had before, it wasn't like he was even coaching the Canes AHL team, he was coaching the Preds AHL team.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Muller mainly ran the PK in Montreal as well as coached the forwards. Jarvis and then Pearn had their hands on the PP.

If the Canes do dump him, I wouldn't be surprised to see Captain Kirk as a candidate for Leafs HC job over the offseason.

Analyzer*

Would be nice to get him back to help with our special teams.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Isn't Boucher in Europe now? Anyway, he'll be back, he's still young, he'll get better. I know many of you want to fire Therrien, but today Therrien is still a much better coach than rookie coach Therrien.

As for Muller, I'm all for giving him the Hamilton head coach job if he wants it. It's not that I necessarily dislike Lefebvre (I don't know him much), but I don't like how the bulldogs haven't been successful in the past two years, and I think we need a change.

This situation kind of reminds me of Don Lever, when we settled for a mediocre coach for too long. And I really like Muller, he's a great player's coach, he's the kind I want in the minor.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Would be nice to get him back to help with our special teams.

Yup, our 13th ranked pp needs help from a guy that has had one of the leagues worse pp for the last 2 years.

Our 4th ranked pk unit is also badly needs his help.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Yea..true, but Boucher does seem like a smart coach. He's tactical. Yea, it didn't work out for him at the end, but he did get Tampa to a game away from getting to the Cup and that was without their starting goalie.

Therrien isn't tactical at all. He's a rah rah, send a message type of coach. Those coaches never last too long.

I don't know about Muller. Sometimes you need to fail a time or two before you get it together. I think a second time around with the right team, he could win.

You mean like Tortorella? With Tampa for 7 years and NYR for 5?

Make up some more ******** but it just comes off as bias.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Pitkanen isn't that bad, also Eric Stall number went down after Muller came in.

No they did not. After that crazy 2nd year year his numbers (goals) have slowly dropped each year...long before Muller.

30 goals just once in the last 5 seasons. Had 30 goals+ in 4 of his first 5 seasons.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
You mean like Tortorella? With Tampa for 7 years and NYR for 5?

Make up some more ******** but it just comes off as bias.

One guy (even though it's a terrible example). Name some others. In every sport, rah rah rah coaches eventually get tuned out and fired. Even you should know that. Evidently you don't. :laugh::laugh:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Yup, our 13th ranked pp needs help from a guy that has had one of the leagues worse pp for the last 2 years.

Our 4th ranked pk unit is also badly needs his help.

That PP that feasted in the first 2 months of the season and then took a nose dive? I wouldn't brag about the current PP. It has been poor for months now save for a good week or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad