Movies: Mulan (2020)

Sep 19, 2008
RIP the dragon

iu

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I actually kind of like that this one is more realistic and doesn't have the songs or the dragon. I don't imagine that many people can even sing a verse from one of the songs or quote Mushu from memory, anyways. The lack of the sillier and fantastical elements gives it more of an historical epic feeling and changes up what they're doing with these live action remakes, which is probably a good thing. I can understand how many will be disappointed, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a huge hit at the domestic box office (but it probably will do well in China).

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I like that this one is more realistic and doesn't have the songs or the dragon. I don't imagine that many people can even sing a verse from one of the songs or quote Mushu from memory, anyways. The lack of the sillier and fantastical elements gives it more of an historical epic feeling and changes up they're doing with these live action remakes, which I think is a good thing. I can understand how many will be disappointed, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a huge hit at the box office.

I want my updated Reflections covers, damn it! ;)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
First heard about this in a podcast, I'm glad they seem to be sticking to the true origins.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We’ve had Dumbo which I hear didn’t do that great. Alladin did well. I’m sure the Lion King will do very well as it should be the closest to the original. All following from Beauty and the Beast.

Some make sense to follow the original animated film very closely, but I think with Mulan, it needed to be more realistic.

Reactions: Jussi

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I actually kind of like that this one is more realistic and doesn't have the songs or the dragon. I don't imagine that many people can even sing a verse from one of the songs or quote Mushu from memory, anyways. The lack of the sillier and fantastical elements gives it more of an historical epic feeling and changes up what they're doing with these live action remakes, which is probably a good thing. I can understand how many will be disappointed, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a huge hit at the domestic box office (but it probably will do well in China).

I definitely can! Mulan is one of my favourite Disney movies. My favourite songs from the movie are "I'll make a man out of you"," A girl worth fighting for" and the song from the credits with Stevie Wonder 98 degrees "True to your heart. I have an annual watch my favourite Disney movies to relive my childhood.

Sep 19, 2008
I ain't complaining about the lack of musicals I like the historical context. Biggest complaint is minor and no Mushu but he wouldn't make sense in this movie. So far it looks appealing.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Looks great. Getting tons of epic historical Chinese movie vibes with a dash of Disney.

This is one movie they definitely have the wiggle room to remake into something that stands not as a modern version of the original cartoon but as a completely different retelling of a classic story. If the movie is as good as the preview looks, the 90’s animation and the new live action movie can both stand on their own, sharing a name and DNA but being their own movies.

Whereas the LK looks like a straight up modernization of the original. And I’m not saying that as a bad thing, it looks gorgeous, has a great cast with of course James Earl Jones and I can watch any version of the LK (including the musical which is freaking amazing) all day long. But they cannot stray too far in the new version or it won’t be the LK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad