Movies: Mulan (2020)

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
If done properly this movie could be the best live action from Disney due to the Chinese historical factor and Samurais.
I am excited and sad at the same time.

The only issue I have with the trailer so far is why does Mulan have long hair while she's fighting? The premises behind to the story is she pretends to be a man in order to fight for the army. She's not fooling anyone if she's fighting with that long hair.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If done properly this movie could be the best live action from Disney due to the Chinese historical factor and Samurais.

The only issue I have with the trailer so far is why does Mulan have long hair while she's fighting? The premises behind to the story is she pretends to be a man in order to fight for the army. She's not fooling anyone if she's fighting with that long hair.

That's what's eating at me. Half of what made Mulan so compelling was that she trained with and earned her place among the men. I get this feeling that she's just gonna be bad ass from the jump.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

On top of that, the legend goes that she was never found out during her 12 years in the army. It wasn't until after, when she finally put on her old clothes, that her comrades learned that she was a woman... so we can assume that this won't be a very faithful telling.

I'm afraid that modern sensibilities (or "political correctness," if you want to call it that) will override authenticity. After all, it's not very acceptable to have a woman try to blend into a man's world, especially by pretending to be a man. I expect that part of the story to end up being a relatively small part of the film and that she'll be exposed relatively early. That way, her male comrades and audiences will get to watch her fighting as an out-in-the-open woman, like in the trailer, and the "go girl" message can be presented as strongly and on the nose as possible.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
On top of that, the legend goes that she was never found out during her 12 years in the army. It wasn't until after, when she finally put on her old clothes, that her comrades learned that she was a woman... so we can assume that this won't be a very faithful telling.

I'm afraid that modern sensibilities (or "political correctness," if you want to call it that) will override authenticity. After all, it's not very acceptable to have a woman try to blend into a man's world, especially by pretending to be a man. I expect that part of the story to end up being a relatively small part of the film and that she'll be exposed relatively early. That way, her male comrades and audiences will get to watch her fighting as an out-in-the-open woman, like in the trailer, and the "go girl" message can be presented as strongly and on the nose as possible.

As it should be. It's a Disney movie for gods sake. The notion of overriding "authenticity" of a legend.... Are you seriously going to complain about girl power in a Mulan Disney film? That's the point of the movie.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As it should be. It's a Disney movie for gods sake. The notion of overriding "authenticity" of a legend.... Are you seriously going to complain about girl power in a Mulan Disney film? That's the point of the movie.
That's a pretty blase take. Mulan deceiving her way into the army, training with the men and earning her place among them, then becoming the hero (and in so doing subverting gendered expectations and prejudices) is on its own far more compelling than "oh shit this village girl is good with a sword, let's make her a soldier right away" and she's just a bad ass from the very start.

Which, I'm not sure is necessarily what's going to happen, but if it did, that's not only severing a better storyline, but butchering a story already established in the previous "Disney movie"

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The fact that it's the point of the movie probably should've been a clue that I wasn't "complaining" about it. I don't even know how you jumped to that conclusion. The fact of the matter is that I love the positive message of the story, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it being overly preachy or unbelievable and straying too far from the original story. She doesn't need to have long flowing hair, a feminine outfit and superhuman abilities in order to serve as a role model for girls, but it's Disney, so she probably will.

Last edited:

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

Why does it have to be about girl power? Why can't they just remake the Disney movie as is? Disney said they making it closer to the legend. How are you making it closer to the Legend if all of sudden the story is changed because of "girl power"?

Reactions: Roman Fell

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why does it have to be about girl power? Why can't they just remake the Disney movie as is? Disney said they making it closer to the legend. How are you making it closer to the Legend if all of sudden the story is changed because of "girl power"?
This movie will have to overcome expectations from 2 POVs.

First is the animated movie. Mulan isn’t going to be as close to the animated version as beauty and the beast was with the singing and story. It’s based around wartime so it probably doesn’t quite fit with the tone.

Second is the society is currently. People are being encouraged to be who they are and proud of what they are. Be it sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity, etc. If it was a different studio doing the movie like Sony or Paramount, I think they could follow the original more closely and there wouldn’t be a problem. Disney, they appear to be more cognizant of that in their stories and how they adapt their films to the current standards.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Japanese.

There seems to be variations of the legend, some say she wasn't uncovered to be a woman after 12 years of war until her friends went to visit her in her home village. Some say she went in disguised but was discovered sooner. History is I guess loose enough that they can go either route. The scenes with her longer hair could be years after she entered the army.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This movie will have to overcome expectations from 2 POVs.

First is the animated movie. Mulan isn’t going to be as close to the animated version as beauty and the beast was with the singing and story. It’s based around wartime so it probably doesn’t quite fit with the tone.

Second is the society is currently. People are being encouraged to be who they are and proud of what they are. Be it sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity, etc. If it was a different studio doing the movie like Sony or Paramount, I think they could follow the original more closely and there wouldn’t be a problem. Disney, they appear to be more cognizant of that in their stories and how they adapt their films to the current standards.

Plus they don't want to piss of the Chinese people again.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Plus they don't want to piss of the Chinese people again.
Yep. That’s where a big chunk of their expected take will come from they hope.

Hoping that the trailer of her fighting the enemy is near the end of the movie and that the movie does show her pretending to be a man to be true to the period piece.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

n the 1998 animated original, based on the Chinese legend of Hua Mulan, General Li Shang developed a bond with Mulan's male warrior alter-ego Ping.
After her true identity was revealed, she and Li Shang have dinner together.
Given recent revelations in Hollywood, however, producer Jason Reed confirmed they were uncomfortable with the power dynamics in their relationship.

Isn’t Li Shang’s whole thing that at the end of the movie he learns it doesn’t matter if you’re a man or a woman you can still be strong and brave and fight for the things you love?

Society is so weird.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
So you can watch Mulan on Disney+ if you have it....ohhh and if you pay another $30. No thanks.

'Mulan' is finally heading to Disney+... for $30 - CNN

I posted this in the general COVID impact on the entertainment industry thread.

This seems it may be a trial balloon for Black Wido in the fall.

I'm debating on getting this. If it's not being released in theaters (specifically,if it's not at the drive in near us,as I'm not going to a theatre right now), then I'd comsi getting this and making it a family movie night. I've done an outside set up in by backyard with the TV,so if it's a nice weekend, I'd invite some people over and keep it socially distant for a fun get together.

There's not a lot of new content on the horizon, and this was on our list of films to check out as a family.

Sep 19, 2008
30 dollar movie which is already on a pay service :laugh:

Just release it included with Disney plus like onward and Hamilton smh

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
$30 is a rather ridiculous price point.

It really is. That's about how much it would cost, on average, to go to the theater to watch it, but you don't get the theater experience. Also, that's more than Disney would get from the average family because theaters aren't keeping a portion of that. It seems like, when other studios are trying to cut their losses, Disney is actually getting greedy. I hope that it backfires. I'd like to see digital releases be successful, but not at that price point. I think that $20 is a much more reasonable price. A couple could justify that because it's less than they'd pay at the box office. At $30, though, you'd have to be renting it for a family or a group of friends for it to be economical.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Disney gonna Disney. Need some revenue after not being able to put out their big movies and having their parks closed. Unless you're a huge Mulan fan or you shit out money, I don't see the point in buying this. Too many other movies on Disney+ to keep the kids entertained and the movie will eventually drop to everyone for free.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It really is. That's about how much it would cost, on average, to go to the theater to watch it, but you don't get the theater experience. Also, that's more than Disney would get from the average family because theaters aren't keeping a portion of that. It seems like, when other studios are trying to cut their losses, Disney is actually getting greedy. I hope that it backfires. I'd like to see digital releases be successful, but not at that price point. I think that $20 is a much more reasonable price. A couple could justify that because it's less than they'd pay at the box office. At $30, though, you'd have to be renting it for a family or a group of friends for it to be economical.

Agreed, the idea of $20 for The Troll movie was not bad, especially since you didn't need to have a membership to a streaming service. But $30 seems high to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad