Value of: Much Needed Grit to the Big Apple

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I mean there's only one Brad Marchand...I'm looking for a Brad Marchand-type. A Brad Marchand-lite, if you will. A guy who will get under the skin of other players while contributing a bit offensively. Not a total goon.

Antoine Roussel's only a couple seasons removed from 31 points in 65 games and even last year he was an effective 3rd liner. Not the biggest but chippy and will fight bigger guys (fought Shea Weber and some other tough customers in his career: Antoine Roussel). After this year he'll be an expiring contract at $3 million dollars and can complement skill well (scored those 30 points next to Bo Horvat on a 2nd line for a team that was lacking depth). Something like or Howden/ Barron/ Rooney or a pick would do quite well. (If Jake Virtanen's not bought out then he could be yours for a song, but no we don't have interest in DeAngelo).

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Ross Johnson is your man. Miss Matt Cook and Ralffi Toures. Those player are the type of players you win with. Players thatll put there careers on the line to injure star players to win a playoff series. Wish the leafs had someone to take out McDavid.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
You could always beg the caps to sit Wilson so he doesn't run through the whole ranger team. JK.....Not that he's in his class but Rangers should have never traded Brendan L he would have jumped the boards or went after one of their guys the very next shift.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Is MacDermid a defenseman that you want on the ice against the Capitals first line? When it comes down to it, if you are targeting Wilson specifically, you have to take that into account. Washington will let you put a 3rd defense pair on the ice v Ovechkin any time you want to
It comes down to the median in what you need and what you can afford. If you want someone who's going to score and kick ass (stand in line...), it's going to cost your team. Not too many around. If you want someone out there who can keep Tom in line without giving up the north 40, you're looking at a player like MacDermid. The Rangers are fairly deep defensively. They can pair him with someone who can pick up where his weakness may be. Just a thought, I don't really expect it to happen. Not really sure the Kings would part with him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It comes down to the median in what you need and what you can afford. If you want someone who's going to score and kick ass (stand in line...), it's going to cost your team. Not too many around. If you want someone out there who can keep Tom in line without giving up the north 40, you're looking at a player like MacDermid. The Rangers are fairly deep defensively. They can pair him with someone who can pick up where his weakness may be. Just a thought, I don't really expect it to happen. Not really sure the Kings would part with him.

MacDermid is a quality top 4 defenseman?

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
You don't need someone who will go after Wilson. You need someone who is willing take a run a Backstrom, Carlson, Oshie etc. even though he'd get a fine or suspension. Wilson is a tough SOB who gets his wires crossed. You won't deter him by having someone who could beat him up. He's not going to be afraid of that. You need someone who can skate up to Wilson in warm ups and tell him that if he runs around taking cheap shots at your skilled guys, he's going to two hand Ovechkin's ankle Bobby Clarke style. I don't condone that action obviously and hope it never happens, but as long as Wilson believes the guy is capable of doing that, you have your deterrent. That guy can literally be any AHL tough guy who wouldn't make it in the NHL.

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
If I’m the Rangers I inquire about 2 players not 1 and change the identity of the team. I’d inquire about Adam Lowry and Kurtis MacDermid. I think Lowry has a calming affect to chaos when I watch him play and MacDermid is a number 5/6 that SUCKS to play against and can bring the hammers.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If I’m the Rangers I inquire about 2 players not 1 and change the identity of the team. I’d inquire about Adam Lowry and Kurtis MacDermid. I think Lowry has a calming affect to chaos when I watch him play and MacDermid is a number 5/6 that SUCKS to play against and can bring the hammers.

Jets just extended him pre XD to make sure he stayed with the team......no chance they trade Lowry this summer.

Reactions: GiveYouABagOfPucks

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
They definitely shouldn’t! I love him. He is always underrated and forgot about.

Yup I think everyone within the organization loves Lowry......prime example of Lowry character is when LV sent out Reaves to fight Lowry after Lowry laid out a big hit. At the face off PMO was screaming to get Lowry off the ice so he didn’t have to fight the toughest heavyweight in the NHL today.....Lowry yelled back at PMO not to worry about and said he’s got it. As expected at puck drop Reaves went straight after Lowry, Lowry squared up and fought Reaves to settle the score so to speak. Reaves stood up for his team mate and Lowry fought the toughest guy in the NHL and didn’t back down even when he could of and no one would of blamed him. Classy player.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Antoine Roussel's only a couple seasons removed from 31 points in 65 games and even last year he was an effective 3rd liner. Not the biggest but chippy and will fight bigger guys (fought Shea Weber and some other tough customers in his career: Antoine Roussel). After this year he'll be an expiring contract at $3 million dollars and can complement skill well (scored those 30 points next to Bo Horvat on a 2nd line for a team that was lacking depth). Something like or Howden/ Barron/ Rooney or a pick would do quite well. (If Jake Virtanen's not bought out then he could be yours for a song, but no we don't have interest in DeAngelo).

Rangers fan here. I've loved Roussel forever. Dave Maloney, the Rangers radio color commentary guy (and former DMan/Captain) called him the angriest man in hockey a few years back and it made me laugh out loud.

Howden for Roussel and the Rangers canning Quinn would unify the fanbase for the first time in years.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You don't need someone who will go after Wilson. You need someone who is willing take a run a Backstrom, Carlson, Oshie etc. even though he'd get a fine or suspension. Wilson is a tough SOB who gets his wires crossed. You won't deter him by having someone who could beat him up. He's not going to be afraid of that. You need someone who can skate up to Wilson in warm ups and tell him that if he runs around taking cheap shots at your skilled guys, he's going to two hand Ovechkin's ankle Bobby Clarke style. I don't condone that action obviously and hope it never happens, but as long as Wilson believes the guy is capable of doing that, you have your deterrent. That guy can literally be any AHL tough guy who wouldn't make it in the NHL.

I'm amused thinking about Max Domi as the Rangers tough guy. He'll run away if someone tries to fight him but if you need someone to sneak up to a Caps player and knock him out with one sucker punch, then that's Max for you. He loves the cheap shot. It only came to mind because a Rangers fan brought his name up, and I thought it was funny.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ryan Hartman was making dangerous hits on Canucks during their mini playoffs. Finally the chance came Virtanen fought Hartman, and the dirty hits kinda stopped.

Michael Ferland earlier in the 2020 season against the capitals, a rather chippy game, Wilson was targeting Canucks young stars. Ferland said something to Wilson and the hitting from Wilson came to a complete stop.

Both these guys can be had for cheap. Virtanen is also heading into a contract year which means he will try hard for a big pay day. Could be had for cheap. 5th round pick cheap.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Rangers fan here. I've loved Roussel forever. Dave Maloney, the Rangers radio color commentary guy (and former DMan/Captain) called him the angriest man in hockey a few years back and it made me laugh out loud.

Howden for Roussel and the Rangers canning Quinn would unify the fanbase for the first time in years.

Checked some articles from your team's fanbase and they mentioned he was an "average contributor" but was part of the bottom 6 and PK? We'd happily make that trade if he could play either 3rd or 4th line C to replace our current overpriced and injury prone guys, plus he's 6'3" and on his ELC still (and around 47-49% on faceoffs) so sign me up.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Well, we just saw that POS Tom Wilson own Buch, Panarin and Strome. Enough is enough. We need to get a lot more gritty and a lot more hard to play against.

Basically, I want my own Tom Wilson, Matt Martin or Brad Marchand. I'm not looking for just a goon...ideally, this player would add some offense and hockey skill.

Untouchables:

Laf
Kakko
Fox
K'Andre
Kravtsov
Panarin
Zibanejad
Igor
Why is Kravstov untouchable?

Honestly, they should try to turn Kravstov or Kakko into this sort of player. Neither appears to be a big scorer in this league and have the body types to do it.

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad