Value of: Much Needed Grit to the Big Apple

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You could do what the Habs did. No super heavyweights but enough of them in the lineup. Anderson, Edmy, Chiarot and Weber can hold their own. Problem is that they are actually valuable and don't want them hurt.

Rangers use to have the Undertaker but not much of a defenseman. Dylan Mcllrath could fight but not much else.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
is this comedy?
you offer 5th rounder because chicago doesn't have a fifth in 2021 and 2022? (although they have 2x4th in 21 and 2x3rd in 22)
do you think chicago values those picks therefore higher?

the rangers don't have a second this year.
so fox for a second should be fine.

zadrov is a rfa. if chicago doesn't want to extent him, you can simply offer him a more attractive contract, than any other team in free agency. but the return of two 5th rounder in consecutive years will definitely not make them move zadrov's rfa rights. the compensation will be better for any kind of offer sheet zadrov would sign.

I am aware of the concept of rfa
acquiring rfa rights at reasonable cost before
would eliminate CHI to drive up price after matching

Price for Z would depend on how hard they are vs the cap, which is very dif now, but might improve

so a modest amount now not excessive might get it done

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
hell no
bluest blue chips are not being moved
would consider other assets IF no better option than Kadri, which is unclear, and it is unclear TOR will/will not move him.

Krav is a highly skilled 9OA.
He has played pivot and is a legit option for C on a line with
Kakko and Panarin as his Ws.
and is on elc

He is not being moved.
Nor should he be.
I get how anti-Ranger guys like yourself would love to poach here, but that's not happening.
NY will pay higher end of market for some toughness;
are not needlessly surrendering overpay of primo assets for that.

Neither KK or VK should be forced into a lesser player.
If end of the day they are very solid across the board otherwise, some level of development can be considered as to adding that specialty, but I don't want offense suppressed.
I also don't want those guys spending time unnecessarily in the penatly box b'c they are enforcers first and productive players second.
Chytil isnt a blue chip anything

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
You could do what the Habs did. No super heavyweights but enough of them in the lineup. Anderson, Edmy, Chiarot and Weber can hold their own. Problem is that they are actually valuable and don't want them hurt.

Rangers use to have the Undertaker but not much of a defenseman. Dylan Mcllrath could fight but not much else.
Still an incredibly soft team, especially forwards

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure why Josh Anderson is in the conversation. He fights but that is the LAST thing we want from him.

As for the price of acquisition....forget any protected list. It will cost at least Laffy and more on top. Don't like it? Look elsewhere....

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So NYR want to get a good PF with a scoring touch, and grit, but won't trade any of their good young players... sounds about right

Bucj and Strome aren't worth that much. Both of them will be asking for north of 6/7M a season after career years that they prob won't be able to repeat when not leaching of Panarin... aint happening

This is so uninformed. Buchnevich doesn’t even play with Panarin. They don’t play together at any strength. Is this the same leaching off Panarin that Zibanejad does?

This is what happens when you just look at a stat sheet and don’t watch the games.

Chytil? You mean the guy who's looking more and more like he'll either carve out as a 3rd liner / fringe top9 player?

You asked for a Wilson / Marchand type of player, and try to dump fitur 7M$ guys, or a good, but underachieving prospect like Chytil...

Another galaxy-brain post. This time you forgot to even look at the stat sheet. What 3rd or fringe third liner is over .5PPG playing 13 minutes per game with no PP time at age 21 in the NHL?

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
How many younger players in the league were .5+ PPG this season? Is it more than five?
It was a 42 game sample. Thats a good size but hardly anything to write home about.

When he scores 40-45 in an 82 game season, then I can call him a .5 ppg player. Hes done it once in half a regular seasons time. He could have improved but also could have had cold streaks.

I like Chytil for the record and maybe my definition of a blue chip prospect is off. I always understood those as Stutzle/Sanderson/Q. hughes types.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It was a 42 game sample. Thats a good size but hardly anything to write home about.

When he scores 40-45 in an 82 game season, then I can call him a .5 ppg player. Hes done it once in half a regular seasons time. He could have improved but also could have had cold streaks.

I like Chytil for the record and maybe my definition of a blue chip prospect is off. I always understood those as Stutzle/Sanderson/Q. hughes types.
Chytil is a very interesting player. He’s gotten better every year since his draft. This was the first year at 21 years old where he didn’t look like a boy among men out there. He was carrying play constantly until his wrist injury/covid. Then Quinn in his ultimate wisdom cut his minutes. Chytil only missed the following years draft by a matter of days. He’s proved more at this point then a high end prospect like Turcotte even though he isn’t as sexy of a name. IMO in any trade the rangers want to make to upgrade at center, Chytil is one of the main pieces the team will want in return. I have no doubt in a 2nd line roll with good TOI and some time on the PP he’s a 55-60 pt center in the nhl for a long time. I don’t think he ever becomes a 1st line C, but definitely a good 2c on a playoff team. Dealing him could bite the rangers in the ass, especially bringing him along in the nhl since he’s been 18.
I do think as a 3c, he’s terribly miscast. He should be on a line with a winger who can pass and 1 that can forecheck. Chytil likes to shoot from anywhere and his legs are his biggest weapon. We have already seen highlight reel plays from him against men in the nhl as a teenager but it’s just now where he’s starting to carry play on a nightly basis. He does need to improve on faceoffs, and refine some other parts of his game but he’s right on the cusp of being a quality 2c. Definitely not a fringe 3rd liner

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister and CLW

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Chytil is a very interesting player. He’s gotten better every year since his draft. This was the first year at 21 years old where he didn’t look like a boy among men out there. He was carrying play constantly until his wrist injury/covid. Then Quinn in his ultimate wisdom cut his minutes. Chytil only missed the following years draft by a matter of days. He’s proved more at this point then a high end prospect like Turcotte even though he isn’t as sexy of a name. IMO in any trade the rangers want to make to upgrade at center, Chytil is one of the main pieces the team will want in return. I have no doubt in a 2nd line roll with good TOI and some time on the PP he’s a 55-60 pt center in the nhl for a long time. I don’t think he ever becomes a 1st line C, but definitely a good 2c on a playoff team. Dealing him could bite the rangers in the ass, especially bringing him along in the nhl since he’s been 18.
I do think as a 3c, he’s terribly miscast. He should be on a line with a winger who can pass and 1 that can forecheck. Chytil likes to shoot from anywhere and his legs are his biggest weapon. We have already seen highlight reel plays from him against men in the nhl as a teenager but it’s just now where he’s starting to carry play on a nightly basis. He does need to improve on faceoffs, and refine some other parts of his game but he’s right on the cusp of being a quality 2c. Definitely not a fringe 3rd liner

It will be interesting to see how Chytil develops under a new coach. Chytil's allround game is lacking, but Quinn's system was weak. Martin improved it somewhat but parts of the system (zone exits/entries for example) were always dysfunctional on a team level.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Agree w/this except for part about trading Chytil towards an upgrade.

Instead trade Strome/Buch/Zib for min 1st ea from SEA + other considerations

play Krav pivot KK and AP
Chytil C for LaF and JG
sign Danault for short term, pivot for CK and Jones [or Barron]

Chytil is solid 2C and improving
give mins
consistent role
do not juggle lineup

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Agree w/this except for part about trading Chytil towards an upgrade.

Instead trade Strome/Buch/Zib for min 1st ea from SEA + other considerations

play Krav pivot KK and AP
Chytil C for LaF and JG
sign Danault for short term, pivot for CK and Jones [or Barron]

Chytil is solid 2C and improving
give mins
consistent role
do not juggle lineup
That’s the rub. If they want him at 2c they have to play him there with most likely panarin and Kakko. If they are planning on leaving him at 3c I rather he be dealt for an upgrade. Another year as a 3rd liner with little minutes isn’t going to be good for him or the rangers. If they want a 3 c go freaking get 1. Andrew Copp Barclay Goodrow or in house with Barron. Players have to start playing in their roles to thrive

Reactions: Gary Stines

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That’s the rub. If they want him at 2c they have to play him there with most likely panarin and Kakko. If they are planning on leaving him at 3c I rather he be dealt for an upgrade. Another year as a 3rd liner with little minutes isn’t going to be good for him or the rangers. If they want a 3 c go freaking get 1. Andrew Copp Barclay Goodrow or in house with Barron. Players have to start playing in their roles to thrive
Chytil is the kind of player you really are gambling with if you move from. There's alot there. You gotta give it time. Look at Mika. It took him 7 years to break out. Look at Buch. About the same amount of time. You deal Chytil now, don't be surprised if you're looking like the GM who traded Mika and a 2nd for Derrick Brassard.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Jon "Nasty" Mirasty is your guy. Will play for league minimum. Good deal for both sides during this flat cap crap!

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Tyler Bertuzzi may be available this summer but he'd be a valuable commodity league wide.
What kind of surgery/injury did he have? I was thinking the other day about a Buchnevich for Bertuzzi swap.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I'm not sure why Josh Anderson is in the conversation. He fights but that is the LAST thing we want from him.

As for the price of acquisition....forget any protected list. It will cost at least Laffy and more on top. Don't like it? Look elsewhere....

You want the most recent 1st overall pick and more added on top in return for Josh f**king Anderson?

just want to make sure I am reading this correctly

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

The guy who at 27 making about 7 mil a year just had the same production as a teenage Lad is worth Laf and more? This makes the Chytil for Zegras thread look sane.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ah...too expensive? Too bad. Not sure about all the whining. If you want Anderson, that's the kings ransom. If you don't....don't care.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Does Scott Gomez move the needle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad