Pre-Game Talk: MTL vs. Det, Subban playing with Murray...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
MT job will be safe for now. Habs playing a struggling Wings tonight and most probably an Ovechkin less and plummeting Caps team tomorrow.

Habs will probably get back to back wins and it will mask the issues that have been plaguing the team all season.

I watched the Hawks - RedWings game Wednesday night and Detroit didn't look like a struggling team. They're playing without Datsyuk, Franzen, and Weiss, but they have a handful of fast, skilled, and smart young players stepping up.

They play a tight checking game combined with very fast and creative forwards. With guys like Zetterberg, Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Helm playing on different lines, the Habs defensemen will have their hands full all night. Not to mention Alfredsson the Hab Killer may be back tonight.

Babcock will probably have his players enter the zone on Murray's side and force 2 on 1. His forwards will have a field day vs Markov-Emelin. Gorges-Beaulieu may actually be our safest pairing tonight.

Finally, the Wings are a hungry team. Every game for them is now a playoff game. Meanwhile the Habs bench boss thinks he's still in the pre-season trying to come up with the right lines...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Both of which, of course, were scored by the guy down low on Gorges' side.
Not blaming him for those goals but he didn't do much. He basically just stood there. It's not like he was some tower of strength on the PK. Just because he wasn't directly at fault on those plays doesn't mean that he was great on the PK and did his job.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The thing is.. that means Murray is going to get TOI very similar to Subban. Take away PP time but add PK time and they will both be up around the same totals. The more Murray is on the ice, the worse our CORSI is and the more chance we get scored on.
I'm really interested to see how this works out.

We're playing arguably the best blueliner in the game with a guy who's arguably the worst. Has that ever happened before? It's like some kind of strange Frankenstein experiment.

And if this is in any way punishment for PK... well, then MB is the 2nd coming of Houle. This has to be the dumbest thing I've seen them do.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Not blaming him for those goals but he didn't do much. He basically just stood there. It's not like he was some tower of strength on the PK. Just because he wasn't directly at fault on those plays doesn't mean that he was great on the PK and did his job.

Yeah, but having actually watched those shifts, Murray DID his job, and in fact is seen unsuccessfully trying to do Gorges' job, too, at the last second on at least one of them. PLUS you must have missed or glossed over the PKs that we actually killed, because at least one of them featured Murray blocking a shot on a side that was overloaded with 2 players where he also got the puck out himself.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, but having actually watched those shifts, Murray DID his job, and in fact is seen unsuccessfully trying to do Gorges' job, too, at the last second on at least one of them. PLUS you must have missed or glossed over the PKs that we actually killed, because at least one of them featured Murray blocking a shot on a side that was overloaded with 2 players where he also got the puck out himself.
He certainly did a great job standing there. I applaud his efforts.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He certainly did a great job standing there. I applaud his efforts.

I know it kills you to think that he was actually our best defenseman that night against the Pens, but he was, and it wasn't even close. Blaming him for not being on both sides of the PK box at the same time is just... lazy and lame. The guy(s) he was responsible for didn't touch the puck or end up in the scoring summary. He did his job, get over it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know it kills you to think that he was actually our best defenseman that night against the Pens, but he was, and it wasn't even close. Blaming him for not being on both sides of the PK box at the same time is just... lazy and lame. The guy(s) he was responsible for didn't touch the puck or end up in the scoring summary. He did his job, get over it.
He probably was our best blueliner last game.

And it does kill me to say that because it shows how bad we were.

It certainly doesn't mean that he played well. Its just that everyone else played worse.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He probably was our best blueliner last game.

And it does kill me to say that because it shows how bad we were.

It certainly doesn't mean that he played well. Its just that everyone else played worse.

Of course it doesn't MEAN that he played well, but you can stop trying to treat this in generalities, or like a game that happened in secret and no one watched. We saw the game, and Murray actually played well while most of everyone else shat the bed. He was an even 0 in a 5-1 game that he played almost 20 minutes of, in case (or rather because) you have forgotten.

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario
Again, I'm going to miss tonight's game. I will be going to watch the Oilers/Coyotes; the way I see it, I might as well watch live hockey if I'm going to watch crappy hockey.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I'm really interested to see how this works out.

We're playing arguably the best blueliner in the game with a guy who's arguably the worst. Has that ever happened before? It's like some kind of strange Frankenstein experiment.

And if this is in any way punishment for PK... well, then MB is the 2nd coming of Houle. This has to be the dumbest thing I've seen them do.
Oh boy. Go outside, take a deep breath, switch to decaf, take a chill pill, etc. lol!

Honestly, your posts are drenched in emotion. We get it ; you hate Murray. I'd suggest giving credit where credit is due. Just like every athlete in the world, there are ups and downs. Murray played well against the Pens. You also seem to conveniently forget that the Pens have the best powerplay in the league. This is not hyperbole but fact. They are #1. Look it up.

Murray won't look like the Road Runner out there but he knows how to play hockey and has definitely deserved his ice time, especially in contrast to Bouillon and Diaz, both of whom I have next to nothing positive to say about.

The Habs needed size and grit. They got exactly what they wanted in him. I'm not sure what you were expecting when he was signed up. He defends his teammates and makes sure nobody gets carried away after the whistle. Loads of fans were tired of seeing the team getting pushed around and he's able to hold his own and defuse those situations. He's built a reputation on playing on the PK.

I understand you're not his #1 fan and that's fine, but when a bunch of people tell you that he played well and you're unable to give the guy a break, maybe it's time to step away and get some perspective. Just a thought...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Of course it doesn't MEAN that he played well, but you can stop trying to treat this in generalities, or like a game that happened in secret and no one watched. We saw the game, and Murray actually played well while most of everyone else shat the bed. He was an even 0 in a 5-1 game that he played almost 20 minutes of, in case (or rather because) you have forgotten.
Dude, I hate to break this to you but he sucks. So does Bouillion. Neither one of them should be in an NHL lineup. I'm not a huge fan of Diaz but there's no way that he should be on the bench.

As for Murray's last game... you're moving the posts. First it was he was great on the PK. Then it was he was on the ice for two goals. Then it was - 'its not his fault it's Gorges'... now it's he was even in that game... Bottom line is that he doesn't help us win but he often helps us lose. He's not good.

And btw, I love the physicality he brings. And we desperately need this dimension. Even in light of his terrible statistics I could still support him being in the lineup over Bouillion. But there's no way I can support him ahead of Diaz. That just flat out doesn't make any sense at all.

When he was signed I was hopeful that he could fill the role of number six blueliner and give us some size and toughness. He's provided this but he's a terrible hockey player. I don't see how anyone could not see this.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh boy. Go outside, take a deep breath, switch to decaf, take a chill pill, etc. lol!

Honestly, your posts are drenched in emotion. We get it ; you hate Murray. I'd suggest giving credit where credit is due. Just like every athlete in the world, there are ups and downs. Murray played well against the Pens. You also seem to conveniently forget that the Pens have the best powerplay in the league. This is not hyperbole but fact. They are #1. Look it up.

Murray won't look like the Road Runner out there but he knows how to play hockey and has definitely deserved his ice time, especially in contrast to Bouillon and Diaz, both of whom I have next to nothing positive to say about.
I don't hate Murray. I don't think he played awful against the Pens and I didn't say he did. I said he's not a good hockey player and he doesn't help us win. That's it. I was responding to another poster who said he played well... "Well" is a relative term. Yeah, he played well for Douglas Murray but he didn't play a great game. If you think he did, please tell me about the plays that stood out for you. The best that can be said is he didn't get embarrassed like some of our other blueliners did.

This is not "drenched in emotion" at all, nor is it based on one game. I actually kind of like the guy and what he brings is sorely needed on this squad. But he's just not a good defenseman and I can't see how putting him in the lineup makes sense - let alone with Subban.

The Habs needed size and grit. They got exactly what they wanted in him. I'm not sure what you were expecting when he was signed up. He defends his teammates and makes sure nobody gets carried away after the whistle. Loads of fans were tired of seeing the team getting pushed around and he's able to hold his own and defuse those situations. He's built a reputation on playing on the PK.

I understand you're not his #1 fan and that's fine, but when a bunch of people tell you that he played well and you're unable to give the guy a break, maybe it's time to step away and get some perspective. Just a thought...
He's statistically the worst blueliner in the league by far. His physical presence doesn't make up for this.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Murray is a -10. Eller is a -9.

Should we also remove him from the lineup?

What about Galchenyuk with his -7?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
With Beaulieu up, there is no reason for Boullion or Murray to be in the lineup.

Sad that the coaching staff has bought into the toughness size narrative because Diaz has been one of the most effective D men this year in terms of actually playing defense. The problem in his case is that people can't look past the fact that he isn't a 6'2 bruiser.

If Murray wasn't big he would be out of the lineup faster than Latendresse eats big macs.

Last edited:

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
With Beaulieu up, there is no reason for Boullion or Murray to be in the lineup.

Said that the coaching staff has bought into the toughness size narrative because Diaz has been one of the most effective D men this year in terms of actually playing defense. The problem in his case people can't look past the fact that he isn't a 6'2 bruiser.

If Murray wasn't big he would be out of the lineup faster than Latendresse eats a big mac.

It really makes you wonder how at this level such oversight can happen.

Zdeno33Lucic*

montreal wins tonight 4-1

put 250$ on it to win 580$, feeling confident

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
How many points has Gallagher had since being put with DD/Pacioretty? The guy is playing a Prust/Moen role on that line causing his offensive numbers which are sorely needed to suffer big time. IMO Gallagher is being wasted on that line and needs to be put with someone else.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I think I read that Datsyuk is not playing so let's hope they don't give up **** tons of goals this game.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I think I read that Datsyuk is not playing so let's hope they don't give up **** tons of goals this game.

I thought I read Alfie will be back in the lineup tonight so he'll likely get his 1-2 goals against the Habs tonight like he always seems to do.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
How many points has Gallagher had since being put with DD/Pacioretty? The guy is playing a Prust/Moen role on that line causing his offensive numbers which are sorely needed to suffer big time. IMO Gallagher is being wasted on that line and needs to be put with someone else.

I don't like the way he's used at all. I agree he is being wasted on that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad