Pre-Game Talk: MTL vs. Det, Subban playing with Murray...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's the point.

A goal scored by a bottom 6 player counts just the same as a goal scored by Crosby. Although your post is a little disingenuous since Murray played 5:33 on the penalty kill.

Murray did his job. Subban and Markov had a very tough night. Maybe criticism should be given to those deserving of it based upon performance instead of fan status?
Actually, Murray was pretty useless on the PK. There was at least one goal that I remember with him standing around doing nothing.
5 1/2 minutes on the PK destroys that narrative.
And how about the two PP goals that the Pens scored?

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
If he was on the ice for both, why was he a 0 on his +/-?

We only scored one goal.

What happens during a PK does not count towards your +/-

Well to expand
+ : shorthanded goal, even strength goal
-: other team scores 5v5, other team scores while shorthanded
Neither: penalty shot goal, powerplay goal

Last edited:

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Markov and Subban had a rough game versus the Pens sure but WHY oh why is Therrien forgetting their sheer dominance together for the first part of the season? Our crappy play started when we broke them up.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
I think Markov/Subban had a rough time for these reasons:

A) weak reason, but might take a while to get reacquainted with each other's habits

B) Pens were the home team, they got the matchups they wanted off the faceoff. We probably had to throw the PK/Markov pairing on the ice to start, just in case. They could throw their 3rd/4th lines out there to tire them and once that's done, change to Crosby or Malkin lines.

C) Last time: Pleky vs Crosby, Eller or White vs Malkin. This time, with Eller on Crosby's wing and White injured, I'd say our two best defensive centers were on one line (with Eller not being a good defensive winger) and our third wasn't playing.

D) Line management. Its up to the coach to put a safe line out there so we don't get caught with a bad matchup. And if they do throw out their 4th line vs pleky, win faceoff/retrieve puck, dump it, line change.

E) "Best defence is a good offence". MT said it on 24CH. We should be dumping the puck only when we want to change. Otherwise, we're just giving it away and not establishing any attack. We're tiring out our players having to play D all the time and chase the puck.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
What happens during a PK does not count towards your +/-

Well to expand
+ : shorthanded goal, even strength goal
-: other team scores 5v5, other team scores while shorthanded
Neither: penalty shot goal, powerplay goal

You are right. I brain farted and edited my post but you quoted me before it was gone. :laugh:

LG is correct as well.

We are doomed. :)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Hey smart guy, compare styles with styles. Diaz and Beaulieu bring the same thing, Murray and Emelin do not.
Diaz and Beaulieu are not the same type of defenseman. Beaulieu is an offensive defenseman who can (hopefully) QB a powerplay. Diaz is more of a hybrid. He's solid offensively, but his defensive game is just as good.

If by compare styles with styles you're on some sort of "SIZE" freak-out, then yes, they are not physical defenseman.

Then they wouldn't be Hawkguy posts. He has to campaign for the guys nobody else likes while pooping on players like Emelin, Eller, Patches and Subban while trying to make it seem like Desharnais, Gorges and Diaz are carrying the team on their back.
You really have no reading skills at all. I love Eller (I wanted him on the team before you probably even knew who he was), I love Patches, and I'm a big fan of Subban.

Emelin, I want in the line-up as well (paired with Diaz). (Markov, Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Beaulieu, Gorges should be our Top-6).

Trying cheering for a team instead of a couple players. Nice job.

PS. I know you'll fire back with "OMG DESHARNAIS" .. but I stick up for guys who bring something positive to the team yet get hated on ridiculously. There are players who bring nothing (aka Murray and Bouillon) who are basically disliked throughout the whole fanbase.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
MT job will be safe for now. Habs playing a struggling Wings tonight and most probably an Ovechkin less and plummeting Caps team tomorrow.

Habs will probably get back to back wins and it will mask the issues that have been plaguing the team all season.

PunkinDrublic*

5-3 Motor city...

The Habs will start a small winning streak starting Saturday night.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
MT job will be safe for now. Habs playing a struggling Wings tonight and most probably an Ovechkin less and plummeting Caps team tomorrow.

Habs will probably get back to back wins and it will mask the issues that have been plaguing the team all season.

This happens all the time with our Habs and that's why we see so little changes. Even 2 weeks ago when we weren't playing great and the Hawks came to town, made us forget everything because of that win and people were brainwashed again that this team could compete

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
This could surprise people, anyone think hal gill would play well with Subban? Give it a chance vultures.

Murray - Subban

Markov - Emelin

Gorges - Diaz

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sigh... Subban and Murray as a pairing. Really?

Detroit doesn't play that much of a big, mean, physical game. They are more puck possession-style. Would it not make sense to counter that by icing Diaz, a defenseman who can move the puck and is decent defensively in his own end. I don't see the need for Murray in a game like this, much less pairing him with Subban. Diaz on the ice and Emelin on his right side would improve the defensive side of things.

Oh well...

The thing is.. that means Murray is going to get TOI very similar to Subban. Take away PP time but add PK time and they will both be up around the same totals. The more Murray is on the ice, the worse our CORSI is and the more chance we get scored on.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
5-3 Motor city...

The Habs will start a small winning streak starting Saturday night.

I hope not...

I know that sounds bad coming from a fan of the team, but honestly, those two wins this weekend would just mask the stupidity that has surrounded this team (ie. Therrien). I'd rather take some losses in the present and get a huge problem fixed in order to have more success in the future.

This team will not have success with the muppet behind the bench.

WeThreeKings said:
The thing is.. that means Murray is going to get TOI very similar to Subban. Take away PP time but add PK time and they will both be up around the same totals. The more Murray is on the ice, the worse our CORSI is and the more chance we get scored on.

Or maybe it means Subban is going to get TOI similar to Murray... which means 14 mins a night. Demoted to a lower pairing? Absolutely absurd I know, but it is Therrien we're talking about, so it becomes at least a small possibility.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hope not...

I know that sounds bad coming from a fan of the team, but honestly, those two wins this weekend would just mask the stupidity that has surrounded this team (ie. Therrien). I'd rather take some losses in the present and get a huge problem fixed in order to have more success in the future.

This team will not have success with the muppet behind the bench.

Or maybe it means Subban is going to get TOI similar to Murray... which means 14 mins a night. Demoted to a lower pairing? Absolutely absurd I know, but it is Therrien we're talking about, so it becomes at least a small possibility.

Either way it is a disaster for the Habs. RIP Price's save percentage and G.A.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad