Confirmed with Link: [MTL/VGK] Nick Cousins to Vegas for a 2021 4th Round Pick

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Having Cousins regularly on the PP was pretty baffling but he wasn't a half bad player for us. Won't hurt having him on your bottom six. Honestly with how such high picks are getting thrown around for run of the mill players at this TDL I would've expected to get more than a 4th for him.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The point I am making is bigger than what occured today, it's a culmination of ineptitude on a grand scale
Context doesn't matter. He wins all the trades. Not that we can sign so many kids without getting rid of other contracts. But I am sure this is much better for the habs than moving aging vets for first rounders..because DARTS
Still hoping for miracles
20182867-standard.jpg

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
This trade is the one that I am not happy about. Cousins was very good defensively. Would have preferred he re-signed with us and have zero doubt that Vegas will sign him to an extension at the end of the year.
He might get a cup ring out of it too...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And with that 4th rd pick the odds are pretty good you won't even get a penny a dozen player.

Cousins or a Cousins like player can be signed july 1.

I would rather a 4th which has something like a 3% chance of being a top 6 forward/top 4 D/no. 1 goalie, than Cousins. Since i know for 100% sure i can pick up another Cousins type on the ufa market on july 1.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
If no team stepped up with a 3rd, what are you going to do? It seems MB waited until the last moment to trade him, as the trade was announced right near 3pm.
Keep him so it gives a chance for Laval to push for the POs with Hudon.
With Timmins and co., a 4th is as good as throwing your pick in the garbage.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Keep him so it gives a chance for Laval to push for the POs with Hudon.
With Timmins and co., a 4th is as good as throwing your pick in the garbage.

Like Mete, Gallagher, Primeau, Evans, Halak, Streit, Grabovski, S. Kostitsyn, and all the other players drafted after the 4th?

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Like Mete, Gallagher, Primeau, Evans, Halak, Streit, Grabovski, S. Kostitsyn, and all the other players drafted after the 4th?

The only impact player to be drafted after the 1st round since 2007 is Gallagher, 10 years ago.
One impact player in the last 13 years. Let that sink in. Wonder whywe don't have any faith in this management.

Reactions: c3z4r and ArtPeur

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
By all the other players do you mean d’Agostini... Evans and Primeau are a little unproven but pretty sure you name them all and we had similar results or better in other era...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
By all the other players do you mean d’Agostini... Evans and Primeau are a little unproven but pretty sure you name them all and we had similar results or better in other era...

That's 7 players off the top of my head from 2003 to 2017. If there's nobody else, that's about 1 every other year. The more darts the better. As you say, it's too early to judge Evans and Primeau, so it's too early to judge this era.

If we're going to compete next year, as is the stated plan, Cousins doesn't make my top 12. Lehkonen and Byron should be on the 4th line and we need to find two skilled wingers (e.g. Kovalchuk and Hoffman) to play with Domi. KK, Poehling, and Fleury should get a full year of development in Laval.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I might be in minority, but I liked Cousins & wanted him to be part of our bottom 6 for a few years.

Above average offensively (for a bottom 6 player) + good defensively. He had no business on PP & I'm still baffled to see he was on Vegas' PP too, but it's not his fault.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
That's 7 players off the top of my head from 2003 to 2017. If there's nobody else, that's about 1 every other year. The more darts the better. As you say, it's too early to judge Evans and Primeau, so it's too early to judge this era.

If we're going to compete next year, as is the stated plan, Cousins doesn't make my top 12. Lehkonen and Byron should be on the 4th line and we need to find two skilled wingers (e.g. Kovalchuk and Hoffman) to play with Domi. KK, Poehling, and Fleury should get a full year of development in Laval.

It too early to see Evans and Primeau will have a impact it isn’t too early to say that the others won’t... If we are going to compete next year Cousin or the 5th isn’t a factor either way although Cousins as 13th might be better than nothing. trading him away causing more AHL player being called up might cost the playoff in the AHL, having our prospect play significant games could be worth a lot more to us competing next year than a 4th in 2021. We already have plenty or darts we should have packaged with a pick to move up not acquire more picks (value or Qty) a 4th in a weak draft for a NHL player who is a 26 RFA, is a pretty good deal for VGK since chance is less than 10% that will land a NHLer with that pick, even if we did he might not have a impact and it is going to be a few years down the road...
Considering he was a RFA this was not a good deal, since we need nhl bodies to let our prospect develop in the AHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It too early to see Evans and Primeau will have a impact it isn’t too early to say that the others won’t... If we are going to compete next year Cousin or the 5th isn’t a factor either way although Cousins as 13th might be better than nothing. trading him away causing more AHL player being called up might cost the playoff in the AHL, having our prospect play significant games could be worth a lot more to us competing next year than a 4th in 2021. We already have plenty or darts we should have packaged with a pick to move up not acquire more picks (value or Qty) a 4th in a weak draft for a NHL player who is a 26 RFA, is a pretty good deal for VGK since chance is less than 10% that will land a NHLer with that pick, even if we did he might not have a impact and it is going to be a few years down the road...
Considering he was a RFA this was not a good deal, since we need nhl bodies to let our prospect develop in the AHL.

we could have not traded Peca and Called up Peca instead of Hudon. Even with Peca and Cousins gone, there are players sitting in Laval. We could have called them up.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
we could have not traded Peca and Called up Peca instead of Hudon. Even with Peca and Cousins gone, there are players sitting in Laval. We could have called them up.
We could have... but we didn’t trading cousins isn’t really a big issues but each deal or the domino effect of all these moves combien doesn’t seem move us in a positive direction.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We could have... but we didn’t trading cousins isn’t really a big issues but each deal or the domino effect of all these moves combien doesn’t seem move us in a positive direction.

I understand your reservations about not having the kids play together in Laval this year and have a deep playoff run.

At the end of the day, I have little faith in this management team anyways. Just looking forward to the day a change is finally made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad