Confirmed with Link: [MTL/VGK] Nick Cousins to Vegas for a 2021 4th Round Pick

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This is all fine and good. People aren't complaining that he traded some UFAs for 4th round picks. It's that he ONLY traded some UFAs for 4th round picks when there was clear signs of a very good sellers market.

Which sign is that? I didn't see to much big movement. Pageau/Goodrow/Skeji seem to be the big pieces moved today.

Not impressed with getting a late 1st rounder, we don't need any more Mac's or Scherbacks.

There is plenty of time to move the non-UFAs. Pageau wasn't traded last year and he still got a good return. Krieder wasn't traded last year and he was the big prize (but resigned by NYR).

MB did what I expected him to do. Trade the UFAs for a bunch of mid round picks.

Better to hope a new GM comes in and he has some ammo in the summer to do something then let MB pick up another 2nd or late 1st.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Crosby or McDavid at least. We are talking about Nick Cousins. MB should of gotten at least one of those 2.

But in all seriousness MB turned money and a 4th (which we might get back) into draft picks.

Signed Cousins and Signed Ilya and traded for extra 3rd and 4th. Traded a 4th for Scandella and got back a 2nd and possible 4th.

Isn't this what people wanted, sign plug UFA's and turn them into picks?
And have TT turn all those picks into dust. Dust in MB's hands.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Actually what people want is for management to try and build a contending team, not play musical draft picks at the deadline.

So we are building a contender at TDL by adding the 25th overall pick in the draft?

I bet this team would be better off if we traded Max for a late 1st instead of Suzuki amrite?

TDL is for non playoff teams to dump their UFA. Keep your panties unbunched there is no rush to move non-UFA's today.

I highly doubt that 20th pick would turn the franchise around. This team can turn itself around a lot better by getting a different GM over a late 1st round pick.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I highly doubt that 20th pick would turn the franchise around. This team can turn itself around a lot better by getting a different GM over a late 1st round pick.

It's not about turning the franchise around.

There's decent evidence that the farm system is pretty good. As such, adding quality youth right now has maximal value. It's equivalent to adding a top-six forward or top-four dman at the deadline in five years, but getting them young.

Strong cores always benefit from that one extra good piece.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
You can get a player just like him in free agency I'm happy with a 4th, at the same time I would have been comfortable keeping him

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
First, Nate Thompson and now Nick Cousins, two of Claude Julien's trusted lieutenants have been dispatched to greener pastures. What must Julien be thinking? Is he next if this team misses the playoffs three straight seasons and four out of the past five seasons?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So we are building a contender at TDL by adding the 25th overall pick in the draft?

I bet this team would be better off if we traded Max for a late 1st instead of Suzuki amrite?

TDL is for non playoff teams to dump their UFA. Keep your panties unbunched there is no rush to move non-UFA's today.

The point I am making is bigger than what occured today, it's a culmination of ineptitude on a grand scale

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know if he was a UFA, I would guess. But for a fourth I would have kept him. He did some good here. Well, too bad!

He was an RFA with arbitration rights. MB did say they talked contract extension with Cousins, but they couldn't get anything done. So they decided to trade him instead.

Montreal have a lot of RFA's coming up this year, so if they weren't able to sign him now to an extention in order to get his deal done so they can focus on other RFA's down the road, they probably made the decision that they will not prioritize him when it comes to making qualifying offers. This is just a guess on my part.

They have Domi, Evans, Vejdemo, Ouellet, Hudon, Mete, Juulsen, McNiven, Olofsson, Blandisi, Lucchini, Sturtz, Dauphin, Waked, and Luchuck.

Not all of them will remain. But those are a lot of RFA's to deal with. Which is why I think they tried to get Cousins done now before the TDL because they wanted to know if they trade him or not.

Last edited:

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
This trade is the one that I am not happy about. Cousins was very good defensively. Would have preferred he re-signed with us and have zero doubt that Vegas will sign him to an extension at the end of the year.

Reactions: cphabs

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I was expecting Thompson to fetch us more than Cousins,

Cousins did outproduced Thompson but Nate was doing FO and PK.

I guess the market has spolen about their respecyive value.

Both are paid 1M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad