Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PHI] Dale Weise, Christian Folin (18.75%) for Byron Froese, David Schlemko

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Really smart move for Philly, send Weise back to where he had his best years and make the GM and fans happy there while still winning the trade and receiving a very useful player in Schlemko who is having a quietly good season.

This is one of those trades where no one is a winner or loser. This is two teams exchanging depth.

As for Schlemko, he's been nothing but useless for Habs since he was traded for from Vegas. He got injured in his very first day of training camp last year and has been on and off IR since. Even in the AHL for Laval (after clearing waivers), he's been okay, if not useless there, too. Clearly the same way Flyers fans feel about Weise (minus the constant injury problems). They're happy Weise has been moved. Habs fans are happy Schlemko was, as well.

I don't know anything about Frolin, so I won't comment. But he's depth. He's also an RD, which Habs are lacking other than Weber and Petry. Juulsen is out indefinitely so they needed right-shooting defensemen. They have an abundance of left-shooting ones (Mete, Reilly, Kulak, Benn, and Alzner (as well as Schlemko before the move).

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Franchise player in salary only. He's been very average for the last three years.

Yeah lets ignore context of injuries and getting back into game shape (same kind of things were said about Crosby after his injury issues).

Last I checked he had the best save percentage over the last 5 years and top 5 GAA with one of the leagues most mediocre defense corps. He is by far the most consistent goalie in terms of high standard of play and at times he is clearly above his peers when it comes to making complicated saves look routine.

I am not a big fan of the contract but to say he isn't one of the best or isn't a franchise player is just non-sensical hate.

Last edited:

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Can a Flyers fan tell me why they hated Weiss? Is it because they had expectations of him being a scoring tough top 9 winger that he couldn't achieve?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Can a Flyers fan tell me why they hated Weiss? Is it because they had expectations of him being a scoring tough top 9 winger that he couldn't achieve?

When he wasn’t playing a top 6 role he was a floater. He had a nice stretch when they have him top 6 minutes while JVR was out but then he leveled off. Once he was put down to the third line he started floating again.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Franchise player in salary only. He's been very average for the last three years.

He had a .923 save %, 2.23 GAA and 37 wins just two seasons ago. Good enough for a Vezina nomination and he’s been one of, if not the hottest goalie for over two months this year. He had a rough season last year, but saying he’s been average the last 3 seasons is a joke.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
When he wasn’t playing a top 6 role he was a floater. He had a nice stretch when they have him top 6 minutes while JVR was out but then he leveled off. Once he was put down to the third line he started floating again.
Used to have the exact same issue when he played for Mtl. Doesn't seem to know what to do as a role player on a 4th line. Maybe in a more structured environment?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Vezina finalist
Awful year along with everyone else(only had 1 top 4dman, not that you care as you will ignore this)
Top 3 goalie in the league since Weber came back this year

Nothing about that seems very average to me

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Weise > Froese
Folin > Schlemko

Decent trade for the Habs I guess, Weise's cap hit sucks for next year but the memes will help make up for it

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hakstol played Weise on the 2nd line this year....over JVR and Lindblom. That will always make you hate him. He has always had a few good games, then 30 bad ones.

Then once Gordon came in and demoted him Weise complained about icetime. Add in that Weise was apparently helping to "mentor" Patrick(under Hakstol).

Wesie "can" play on a 4th line if he just accepts it and hustles every game. But for the Flyers, they have 4 LWers who are better. And removing his poor attitude was important.

Fletchers moves:

Traded Weal
Demoted and traded Weise
Demoted Lehtera
Traded Folin

Recalled Hart
Recalled Vorobyev
Recalled Myers

Reactions: Devonator

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Guys, guys.. let's talk about this a second. Maybe he could be the next Hainsey - mediocre d man who looks great on your top pair. I think it's worth the gamble.

How about Schlemko for a half priced ticket when I travel to Toronto for work in a few weeks?
Well... Hainsey did just move to the third pairing and Muzzin is playing a little too well for my liking. He may be exactly what Babs wants on the first pairing.

Not sure he's worth the value of that ticket, unfortunately. Have you seen the price of Leafs tickets?!

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Just a completely useless player. Didn't do anything on the ice. Getting a contract 2X his value and 4 years didn't help but being Hakstol's favourite was what cursed him. He played above better and more deserving players. I don't wish him ill, just happy not to have him taking up a spot in our starting group.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Called the trade but I wanted Brennan.

Not sure why Montreal would send Froese when their farm team can't score.

Folin should be moved by the deadline I would think. Maybe not if they move other dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad