Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] Nate Thompson and 2019 5th round pick for 2019 4th round pick

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This trade has a serious potential of changing absolutely nothing for the Canadiens draft plans, all the while improving the center line -- not that Thompson is anything special, but Chaput is... And not in a good way.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I love Bergevin’s obsession with the fourth line. Feels like over the years he’s gone through 30+ separate grinders and fringe players hoping one will stick. The cost is low so it doesn’t really matter, I just get a kick out of it.
Two of those grinders ended up being Philip Danault + 2nd round pick (A. Romanov), and one waiver pickup turned out to be a consecutive 20 goals two-way winger (Byron). You call it obsession. I call it a kickass roster-building strategy.

Reactions: CDN24

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...It's this year's Calgary 4th rounder for this year's Chicago's 5th rounder.
In other words, it might amount to something like switching 10 picks.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Habs basically got him for free. There's a big chance that Bergevin would draft the same guy at pick #123 and pick #131 anyway.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
A 4th line center who is good on faceoffs, to add a bit of depth for a playoff push/run, for a really low cost. And he's a UFA.
Even if he does nothing, I don't see an issue with this trade. It's exactly the trade they should make. Montreal, despite the surprise season, really isn't in position to give up significant young assets or picks. But this addresses an area of need in faceoffs, and it's a good locker room move. Still making a trade to get some depth for playoffs is a vote of confidence in the team. Players love that stuff, don't underestimate it. It's basically saying, yeah, you're doing well, I believe in you.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Meh, he can't be worse than trade deadline stalwarts such as Ott, King and Martensen. Only cost a roll of hockey tape and a skate sharpener.

Doxinoctae

Dec 16, 2018
Thompson will force Chaput and Peca to be ontop of their game night and day.

Byron - Thompson - Weise : is something that remind me of Begin - Metropolit - Kostopoulos somehow.

Shall we trust that trade ... the lasts few ones have been good so far so let's see!

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Actually a solid trade for Montreal, upgrade on the 4th line for pretty much free.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Essentially giving away a useful player just because you have a better player (Lewis) returning from IR doesn't seem like good asset management to me. Are you telling me that sending one of the kids down for just a few weeks, so that you could get a better return for Thompson, was out of the question? Thompson doesn't have much value, but he could've eventually fetched the 4th from someone without giving up the 5th.

BTW, unless the rules were changed or I misunderstand them, LA didn't have to honor his NTC, since they traded for it. They may've still asked him if he'd go to Montreal, just to be nice and be sure that he'd be happy to go there, but they didn't have to.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad