Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] Nate Thompson and 2019 5th round pick for 2019 4th round pick

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I love Bergevin’s obsession with the fourth line. Feels like over the years he’s gone through 30+ separate grinders and fringe players hoping one will stick. The cost is low so it doesn’t really matter, I just get a kick out of it.

Every team does. Hard to find decent depth.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Two of those grinders ended up being Philip Danault + 2nd round pick (A. Romanov), and one waiver pickup turned out to be a consecutive 20 goals two-way winger (Byron). You call it obsession. I call it a kickass roster-building strategy.

Whatever floats your goat. If you’re happy with it that’s awesome.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I read on TSN that Thompson has a limited no-trade clause that he agreed to waive, which brings me to the question, how does a guy like Thompson end up with a NTC?
I imagine he basically had two exact same offers, team that wants him offers him that to get him to choose them, instead of offering more money.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Provides good veteran leadership on the 4th line, not the difference maker in a 7 game matchup with TO or the Bruins but an upgrade nevertheless.
Kings with 6 picks in first 4 rounds. Add another pick for Haglin and it could be 7. It's a good start to rebuild the prospect pool.

So who gets waived from the habs with Byron's return...Hudon?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Remembering when Bergevin went out and grabbed Ott and King. I think Bergevin has done a good job so far this season. I don't even mind bringing back Weise. Schlemko wasn't working but he needs to stop dumpster diving lol. Did Montreal need a 4C that badly?

I've been wanting a makeover on that 4th line. When the current option is Chaput, the answer is yes to that question. They've actually been costing points in the standings.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Good pickup. Who was playing 4th line C for montreal?
Michael Chaput *gag*

Provides good veteran leadership on the 4th line, not the difference maker in a 7 game matchup with TO or the Bruins but an upgrade nevertheless.
Kings with 6 picks in first 4 rounds. Add another pick for Haglin and it could be 7. It's a good start to rebuild the prospect pool.

So who gets waived from the habs with Byron's return...Hudon?

Surely Chaput.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Essentially giving away a useful player just because you have a better player (Lewis) returning from IR doesn't seem like good asset management to me. Are you telling me that sending one of the kids down for just a few weeks, so that you could get a better return for Thompson, was out of the question? Thompson doesn't have much value, but he could've eventually fetched the 4th from someone without giving up the 5th.

BTW, unless the rules were changed or I misunderstand them, LA didn't have to honor his NTC, since they traded for it. They may've still asked him if he'd go to Montreal, just to be nice and be sure that he'd be happy to go there, but they didn't have to.

I think the NTC decision was made long ago, pretty sure they have to give that in writing at the time the trade is registered. Most cap tools and websites indicate that they honored it, but I have never seen anything definitive.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Basically, Habs 4th line was 1 part serviceable NHLer and 2 parts career AHLers.

He replaced Chaput, Agostino with Thompson and Weise.

Now his 4th line is all serviceable NHLers with experience.

DLo - Thompson - Weise
Peca (possibly)

Still think Bergie will get another deal done by TDL... maybe even 2.

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Now that the 4th line situation is settled, time to go for bigger Fish Berg!

Get that elusive LD or a top 6 RW.

Lindholm? Stone? Both??? I wish!

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think the NTC decision was made long ago, pretty sure they have to give that in writing at the time the trade is registered. Most cap tools and websites indicate that they honored it, but I have never seen anything definitive.

You could be right. I've always wondered that. If so, it shifts the question of why Blake honored it to a year ago instead of now, but I know that the situation was different then and honoring it is the nice thing to do, so I won't beat him up over it.

What's probably more important is that, according to The Fourth Period's list, he had/has only a 10-team no-trade list, so it's not like Blake had to take what he could get because the NTC had him in a bind. He still had 21 teams that he could trade with (and more if Thompson would waive), so you'd think that he could've gotten a better return.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
Nate Thompson isn't even bad.

Ya'll a bunch of drama queens. Solid 4th line center that can wins faceoffs and good in his own end.

Just because he’s awful in the offensive zone doesn’t make him good in his own end. Face-offs, sure. Basically a waivers level player, as proven by the “return”.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Better than Chaput so I'm happy (reluctantly). Bergevin should be banned from trading with LA after that Dwight King robbery, f*** that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad