Confirmed with Link: [MTL] Karl Alzner (5 years, $4.625M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It is fundamentally true that Shawful won't decline during his contract as once you are the worst player in the league on one of the worst long term contracts in the league relative to worth.. you can't really decline when you're at rock bottom.

Bergevin, what a genius.

Come on, Shaw isn't the worst player in the league.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Great Drouin trade, follow it up with Radulov re-signing and Bonino signing. Be the highest bidder on those two.

Keep Beaulieu, keep Emelin, pick up Schlemko and Morrow, sacrifice Davidson for VGK to take Plekanec.

Super-solid lineup.

All you did was move furniture around

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Come on man there is no denying that we would be a better team today with Radulov.

Why can't we agree that Bergevin didn't improve the team as much as he could have? He absolutely had the inside track to sign Radu and chose to gamble on him.
We went from having a strength on wing to being average.

He may not have been able to address our center depth due to lack of real options but there would have been nothing wrong with having the following wingers :

Drouin
Radulov
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Lekhonen
Byron

I would at this point say that mission accomplished he made the team as good as possible for 2017-2018.
However now there are so many question marks and "if" scenarios that I don't have much faith in our ability to compete.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Come on man there is no denying that we would be a better team today with Radulov.

Why can't we agree that Bergevin didn't improve the team as much as he could have? He absolutely had the inside track to sign Radu and chose to gamble on him.

He may not have been able to address our center depth due to lack of real options but there would have been nothing wrong with having the following wingers :

Drouin
Radulov
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Lekhonen
Byron

I would at this point say that mission accomplished he made the team as good as possible for 2017-2018.
However now there are so many question marks and "if" scenarios that I don't have much faith in our ability to compete.

what ??? what was the mission ? weaken the D while ignoring the C issue ??

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
what ??? what was the mission ? weaken the D while ignoring the C issue ??

I am trying to be realistic here if he wasn't able to address those in 5 offseasons, expecting him to do so in one summer seems far fetched.

Adding an elite winger and decent depth at D is absolutely better than doing nothing at all (which many GMs are guilty of).

I am in no way a Bergevin supporter but adding Drouin and finally committing to winning now made me content. However when he let Radu slip in between his fingers I knew we were in trouble.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

We wouldn't be better by any meaningful way...his addition doesn't make us contenders.

No, we're still a team that's going to get bounced in the 1st round vs a team that's deeper down the middle than we are.

He didn't choose to gamble on Radulov, he offered him the same contract he ended up signing in Dallas. It's more Radulov wanted more money to stay, his loyalty to the Habs, wasn't as important as his loyalty to money, which is fine, it's his right.

I'd go after the money too..

As far as our strength on the wing, its as strong, perhaps even stronger IMO. But we're still incredibly weak down the middle.

Drouin
Radulov
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Lekhonen
Byron

However now there are so many question marks and "if" scenarios that I don't have much faith in our ability to compete

You raise those wingers...i'll raise you the following centers

Danault
Plekanec
Mitchell
McCarron

As long as this group continues to be this poor, it doesn't matter who we have on the wing, Radulov or no Radulov.

We have enough quality wingers even without Radulov, what we don't have is any top 6C's. The focus needs to be on that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I am trying to be realistic here if he wasn't able to address those in 5 offseasons, expecting him to do so in one summer seems far fetched.

Adding an elite winger and decent depth at D is absolutely better than doing nothing at all (which many GMs are guilty of).

I am in no way a Bergevin supporter but adding Drouin and finally committing to winning now made me content. However when he let Radu slip in between his fingers I knew we were in trouble.

It won't take you long to realize Radulov was a luxury and we won't be in trouble without him.

Most overrated Hab since...a long *** time.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

that's the standard now ? better than nothing at all ?

btw, Habs did not ADD an elite winger, they REPLACED their 1st line RW with another

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Move furniture around?

Beaulieu instead of Davidson
Emelin 1 year instead of Alzner 5 years
Radulov instead of Hemsky
Bonino instead of Plekanec
no one instead of Walford

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know he's not, but he's atrocious and his contract is bad. You know me well enough that I like hyperbole.

100% agree on the bolted part. You are even admitting that Shaw is not as bad as you say he is. Lets see how year 2 goes. Personally, I think he is a bit overpaid and if we acquire another piece that takes salary (top 2 center), his contract may have to be moved. Hard to say how much better Danault, Lehkonen, Byron, McCarron, DLR get and how much we have to pay them in the next few years. Good problem to have if we have to pay them because of performance.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Move furniture around?

Beaulieu instead of Davidson
Emelin 1 year instead of Alzner 5 years
Radulov instead of Hemsky
Bonino instead of Plekanec
no one instead of Walford

Beaulieu couldn't even keep Davidson from taking his job last spring

Alzner is a better player than Emelin

Radulov over Hemsky... absolutely

Bonino over Plekanec is a wash for me...one 3rd line center for another.

Moving furniture

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
that's the standard now ? better than nothing at all ?

btw, Habs did not ADD an elite winger, they REPLACED their 1st line RW with another

I was talking about a scenario where we kept Radulov, context is important.

Did I say anything about it being the standard? There is no denying he started the summer well by acquiring a talented roster player for a prospect. However the remaining moves leave little to be desired and adds new question marks to this team.

Why can't I say we are a better team with last years roster + Drouin. It's absolutely true and doesn't negate the fact that we have issues at C. However my opinion is that I rather we have elite wing depth than have average wing depth and mediocre centers.

If you look at my post history you will see I am not a Bergevin apologist but you can't look at moves in a vacuum. His actions need to be judged as a whole and so far I think we are headed for an early playoff exit.

I hope I am wrong as this perpetual state stuck in the tier between playoff bubble team and contender is infuriating.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Beaulieu couldn't even keep Davidson from taking his job last spring

Alzner is a better player than Emelin

Radulov over Hemsky... absolutely

Bonino over Plekanec is a wash for me...one 3rd line center for another.

Moving furniture

The Alzner part is arguable, I once again hope I am wrong but Caps fans seem to think he is done (couple bad injuries and trending downward).

This is someone who only enjoyed Emelin when he was destroying players and hated the remainder of the time.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm less worried about those injuries than a knee and orbital bone one. Alzner's abilities shouldn't take a hit with his hand injuries compared to a guy like Gallagher.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No it isn't, not at all.

Emelin's value has been all over the place this year

He was one of the worst Habs D if you read most posts here...

Then people couldn't believe Vegas took him off our hands for free.

The second the Habs signed Alzner though...

Emelin's value skyrocketed again..

Some weird **** going on around here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ending up with a plate in your head is ever so slightly different from the mending of a tendon/muscle or a bone in your hand...

The plate guy was going to be gone at the end of the upcoming season, could have even been a TDL deal. But no, give 5 years to a defensive defenseman, only because the Habs failed to develop someone with his skill set, which is totally attainable in 5 years -- an Alzner is someone you can draft and develop working out of the end of a first round or even from a second rounder.

Alzner is a knee-jerk reaction borne out of mismanaging the team's LHD assets in anticipation of the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad