Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Jake Allen Extended (2 Years @ $2.875M AAV - Starting in 2021-22)

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
You’d think with a $10M starting goalie you’d go a little cheaper on the backup.
The idea is you can’t play the starter every game. So you would like to have a good backup to give the team a good shot at those 40-50 pts up for grabs when you rest your starter 20-25 games . We’ve all seen that a healthy price is still a top 3 goalie in the league when rested. Now the players who actually shoot on him have voted him the best three years running now . But what do the players really know . I’ll get some smarter people tell me now the players are wrong but this is life on HFBoards

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For those that want to promote the Allen expansion draft theme, who are the other desirable players likely to be exposed by Montreal?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IF Allen is a really good starter and Primeau is the real deal, Price shouldn't buy a house in Montreal.

Last edited:

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
For those that want to promote the Allen expansion draft theme, who are the other desirable players likely to be exposed by Montreal?

Sadly Montreal has TOO many good players and might need to trade a 2nd or even 1st to pick someone specific

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Crikey when I saw the extension I misread it as double the AAV can you imagine

Not a lot of backup goalies getting this kind of money regardless, but still

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I don’t necessarily think that the expansion draft is bergevins sole purpose here . I think there are a combination of factors in his reasoning. Maybe primeau plateaus and doesn’t become the second coming of price . If Allen does get taken in expansion we’re not out a whole bunch ( 3rd I believe) . If he doesn’t , in two years time Allen at that time could reasonably fetch a third . At the deadline in two years , there could be a higher demand for backup goalies due to injuries for example so it’s not inconceivable he lands a second for him then. It’s also a decent insurance if price were to get injured. I really believe bergevin has a lot more foresight than most gms and is planning 2-3-4 yrs down the road .

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I would've been fine with a one year extension. I don't like the additional year...

I hope Seattle picks him.

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
I don't understand all the people here saying that if you are paying 10 million for your starting goalie, you should pay peanuts to the backup. Apparently they feel there is some kind of limit on how much these two players can make on a good team.

Why doesn't this apply to forwards or Dmen? Is Pittsburgh crazy to be paying their second line centre so much money when they are already paying their highest paid centre 9.5 million AAV? Why isn't 18 million way too much money to be spending on two centres?

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
This extension is clearly all about great asset management, one of the few redeeming quality of Bergevin I must admit.

Besides a disproportionate cap hit on goalies - something the Habs can manage as long they can lock up are Kotkaniemi and Suzuki to bridge deals that don’t break the bank upon their renewal in 2021 and 2022, Allen basically cost the Habs a 3rd round pick.

I for one humbly predict that Allen will be traded before his last season (2022-2023) and that he will fetch more in return than the price of his acquisition, all the while having remediated to a perennial weakness in Montreal under Bergevin, a solid backup for Price.

Indeed, with the reasonable cap hit of today’s extension (2.8M/year, around 1M below market; Crawford, Talbot, Greiss and Kudobin), its duration and the lack of a trade restriction clause, Allen becomes a prime candidate for trade bait in 2022 offseason, especially with Primeau likely ready for backup duties by then.

In an ideal world, Primeau would be ready as soon as 2021-2022 and start the year in Laval anyways, until the Habs can find a contender with G issues to pull the trigger on an Allen deal for an optimal return!

Worst case scenario, if Allen is lost for nothing in the expansion draft that is, his sacrifice will not have been in vain since it will have prevented the potential loss of Lekhonen, Edmunston or maybe a young D that could establish himself in the 2020-2021 (Mete, Juulsen, Fleury).

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I don't understand all the people here saying that if you are paying 10 million for your starting goalie, you should pay peanuts to the backup. Apparently they feel there is some kind of limit on how much these two players can make on a good team.

Why doesn't this apply to forwards or Dmen? Is Pittsburgh crazy to be paying their second line centre so much money when they are already paying their highest paid centre 9.5 million AAV? Why isn't 18 million way too much money to be spending on two centres?
Vegas is paying 12m for there goalie tandem don't see them taking all this shit Habs get for it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
This extension is clearly all about great asset management, one of the few redeeming quality of Bergevin I must admit.

Besides a disproportionate cap hit on goalies - something the Habs can manage as long they can lock up are Kotkaniemi and Suzuki to bridge deals that don’t break the bank upon their renewal in 2021 and 2022, Allen basically cost the Habs a 3rd round pick.

I for one humbly predict that Allen will be traded before his last season (2022-2023) and that he will fetch more in return than the price of his acquisition, all the while having remediated to a perennial weakness in Montreal under Bergevin, a solid backup for Price.

Indeed, with the reasonable cap hit of today’s extension (2.8M/year, around 1M below market; Crawford, Talbot, Greiss and Kudobin), its duration and the lack of a trade restriction clause, Allen becomes a prime candidate for trade bait in 2022 offseason, especially with Primeau likely ready for backup duties by then.

In an ideal world, Primeau would be ready as soon as 2021-2022 and start the year in Laval anyways, until the Habs can find a contender with G issues to pull the trigger on an Allen deal for an optimal return!

Worst case scenario, if Allen is lost for nothing in the expansion draft that is, his sacrifice will not have been in vain since it will have prevented the potential loss of Lekhonen, Edmunston or maybe a young D that could establish himself in the 2020-2021 (Mete, Juulsen, Fleury).
Very good post . It is for these reasons I feel bergevin doesn’t get the respect he deserves. The reason we are not a top heavy club like Pittsburgh, Toronto, Chicago, Edmonton is because the Habs have never been bottoming out and getting lucky with the draft lottery . It is not bergevins fault we haven’t been able to select generational players . Add to that the problem of trying to lure big name free agents (Stamkos, Panarin ,Tavares) to Quebec with its higher taxes , media , weather and it’s natural we have a balanced team instead . His prospect pool , excess picks and cap management are fantastic . I think most hab fans are excited to drop the puck this year with the additions he’s made . Yet no matter what he does the seagulls on these boards shit on him relentlessly. I hope he gets extended .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
My apologies. I may be a big bergevin fan but I respect other hab fans who may not share my views. To fans of other teams I guess yous to . Sorry for any disrespect

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

F Tatar/Armia UFA's

D: Chariot/Edmundson/Juulsen/Kulak/Fleury- Mtl has 1 spot open to protect 1 of them.

So by signing Allen, and he is only due 2M in real cash the first year of the deal making easier for Seattle to take him, you get to keep all your dmen.

Btw even if Allen is picked up by Seattle, I don't expect Primeau to be in the NHL for another 2-3 years. Stephane Waite and Bergevin always talked about how young goalies need atleast 3 years of AHL full time play. It also lines up perect with Price's age/contact.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I thought the idea was that they would have one year of Allen and then Primeau would come up?

I didn't see the rush in extending him. Why not re-evaluate the situation later in the year depending on how things are going for Primeau and Allen.

It's not a crippling contract at 2 years, but the timing is odd.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I didn't see the rush in extending him. Why not re-evaluate the situation later in the year depending on how things are going for Primeau and Allen.

It's not a crippling contract at 2 years, but the timing is odd.
Bergervin set on doing a years work in a week.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Chiarot and / or Edmunson. I believe this is the reasoning behind singing Edmunson. They are similar players, if you lose one to Seattle no big thing. Maybe MTL loses Armia or Lekhonen too. I think all these players are picked before Allen except if MTL wins the SC because of Allen ;)

Brownies

To be fair, Pittsburgh proved you can win with paying two first line centers while we're less sure about the Montreal model. Still, most if not all team have a bad contract here and there so if Montreal are paying a few millions too much for their goalies they should be able to make it fit somehow.

JR9981

Oct 13, 2020
This 1 caught me off guard. The reason that many thought the Allen deal made sense was cause it was a 1 yr deal. I have always been pulling for Mr.Allen so I am sad to see him sign an extension with the Habs. Guess I better get started on moving him from any of my fantasy/NHL games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad