Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Jake Allen Extended (2 Years @ $2.875M AAV - Starting in 2021-22)

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
My problem with Price and Montreal is they never once had a team "worthy" of how good he was in his prime. He's still amongst the best goalies now and dominated the Pens this year, but they've kind of wasted the best years of his career and are now going to be on the hook for his worst when they're finally good enough. :huh:
The difference between the Habs and the pens is that both teams with their current roster could make the playoffs and with a coupl additional players could compete . The difference is that the Habs have a bright future with tons of prospects and solid young players . The penguins not so much .

Reactions: HabsAddict

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure why you would spend so much on a goaltending pair and especially on a backup. A bit weird IMO.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's actually a shrewd move by Bergevin. If there's anything he's shown, asset management is generally one of his (few) strengths.

Allen can be a solid 1B, and having him extended after this season allows Bergevin to expose him and protect Price and Primeau in the expansion draft. Losing Primeau for nothing would be a much bigger mistake than overpaying a backup goaltender. Having a decent option at G exposed, the Habs also stand to hold onto a player that they could lose at another position. Juulsen comes to mind due to his potential and unique situation.

And if Allen isn't taken by Seattle, the contract isn't unmovable if they think Primeau should be in the NHL.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I'm not even close to anything of a Habs fan, but Allen played much better than Binnington last year.

Habs prolly have one of the best goaltending duo's in the league right now, even if it is pretty costly against the cap

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I thought the idea was that they would have one year of Allen and then Primeau would come up?

Bergevin-CP-575x459.jpg

Honestly tho, I don't understand it either.

I mean, Allen is good and all, but he didn't even played one game for us.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
All you people bringing up Primeau confuse me. You guys seem to think the guy will wait around with the Canadiens forever. The only way Primeau has a future with Montreal is if Price is traded or we let him go to Seattle in the expansion draft. He's not playing backup and then 1A/B with Carey until 2026.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Not sure why you would spend so much on a goaltending pair and especially on a backup. A bit weird IMO.
Isn't weird at all. Next season will have lesser games meaning more back to back games. A more rested Price is better for the Habs. Allen's getting paid 4.3m for one season then it drops down to 2.9m and still has a chance to get taken by the expansion. If he isn't taken its still good for us as we don't need to look for another back up. Regardless Price will be here and we need to cover him as hes getting older he cannot continue to play 60+ games a year its way too much for any goalie to be doing without getting exhausted.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
You’d think with a $10M starting goalie you’d go a little cheaper on the backup.

Haha you would think, you would really think so....

How many years? How many Niemis, Kinkaids, Scrivens have gone through now? Where's Halak?

This is Price's first solid (ish) backup in I don't know how many years. We have Primeau coming up. Jake's term is short, contract is moveable.

This provides flexibility and a goalie situation we haven't seen in MTL in many years. Also, condensed schedule coming up.

Finally, to your suggestion - what's the alternative? Sign yet another goalie on Kinkaid's level for 1-2M and hope Primeau comes in sooner than later? Nah. Bergevin has all his core forwards making between low 4's and high 6's in their prime years, he's building the anti-Dubas with no possible $7M forward on the team. Welcome to the Bergevin experiment where we roll three 2nd lines and pay $13M for goaltending.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think this exactly the plan. Sign Allen cheap so he's enticing for Seattle. Keep in mind, Montreal is loaded with draft picks and could easily offer Seattle something to pick a specific player.
Allen is also easily tradeable at that caphit. I expect he will get a fair bit of games due to compressed schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->