Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Jake Allen Extended (2 Years @ $2.875M AAV - Starting in 2021-22)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
they must expose 1 goaltender. whichever way they manage to do that is up to them. I doubt they can just sign a 2-way, bury in AHL and expose that guy, but who knows

They can. Only requirement is that the goaltender is either signed for the upcoming season or a RFA given a qualifying offer.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I like this move a lot, have to expose a goalie at expansion, having a signed allen for cheap will look pretty attractive to Seattle as a backup.

Reactions: japhi

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
As long as Jake is playing backup minutes, you got a solid, durable, reliable netminder who will stand tall and a strong team first kind of guy. If you’re playing him as your starter and he’s being challenged for the spot, he’ll surprise you.

Reactions: japhi

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
It's comments like these I don't get.

Habs had no backup starting next season. Now they have one that is of sufficient quality to even act as starter in case of injury. Primeau is used to 40-game seasons. At this point he needs to play more, and that's not something he can achieve in the NHL yet.

Not a fan of Price's contract. Not a fan of Allen's current salary either. But since already Allen's here, might as well extend him for the draft. The 2-year length is perfect. He's ne of those guys walking the line between starter and backup quality so 2.875 is also very

Because when you're already paying your starter 10M it makes 0 sense to allocate at least 3M to a backup for 3 consecutive seasons. This year it makes sense but afterwards with Primeau you should be fine, and could bring in a guy for league minimum (Dell) to serve as insurance if not. He also hasn't played a game for Montreal yet, and Allen is anything but a consistent guy. What if he lays an egg this year? You've already committed that money. If he had a good season, sure sign him to this near the deadline. But the timing makes 0 sense.

It's just compounding on the issue of the price contract. It makes no sense in a cap world to commit this much to goaltending, when a guy making league minimum can outperform them any season. The cost/benefit ratio is so far off

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
It's comments like these I don't get.

Habs had no backup starting next season. Now they have one that is of sufficient quality to even act as starter in case of injury. Primeau is used to 40-game seasons. At this point he needs to play more, and that's not something he can achieve in the NHL yet.

Not a fan of Price's contract. Not a fan of Allen's current salary either. But since already Allen's here, might as well extend him for the draft. The 2-year length is perfect. He's ne of those guys walking the line between starter and backup quality so 2.875 is also very appropriate.

No, it isn't the end of the story. You need to expose a goalie under contract or RFA. It's an obligation by the rules of the draft.

McNiven
Lindgren
can all be signed and cheap

i promise you the reason Bergevin extends Allen's contract already has everything to do about anything BUT Seattle

but i feel this is going to be a debate like if masks protect or don't protect against a virus

so let's just leave it there

Habs Man

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal
It's funny reading all of the comments from individuals who are freaking out about this.

1. It's $2.875M/year... Not going to break the bank here and it's easily movable.
2. Cayden Primeau is 22... Is it ok if he develops for one year or two in the AHL?
3. Biggest reason of all... SEATTLE. Now you can expose Allen, and not risk losing Price or Primeau

ALine

May 14, 2012
I don't see how this is a 'seattle' deal. They have Mcniven to expose, there will be a heap of goalies available. If Seattle is merely a back up plan if he doesn't live up to the contract, why even sign him and why would Seattle take him. Just dont get it.

and no wonder, i still dont understand why they acquired him in the first place. Too much cap for a backup, especially considering the starter Price make 10.5.
I like Allen, i think he's solid enough to be part of a platoon situation, but if your 10.5aav starter needs a 30-40 game backup to stay effective then you got problems.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It's funny reading all of the comments from individuals who are freaking out about this.

1. It's $2.875M/year... Not going to break the bank here and it's easily movable.
2. Cayden Primeau is 22... Is it ok if he develops for one year or two in the AHL?
3. Biggest reason of all... SEATTLE. Now you can expose Allen, and not risk losing Price or Primeau

Primeau is exempt, McNiven is not. McNiven was always someone to expose, this trade was never about Seattle.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a 'seattle' deal. They have Mcniven to expose, there will be a heap of goalies available. If Seattle is merely a back up plan if he doesn't live up to the contract, why even sign him and why would Seattle take him. Just dont get it.

and no wonder, i still dont understand why they acquired him in the first place. Too much cap for a backup, especially considering the starter Price make 10.5.
I like Allen, i think he's solid enough to be part of a platoon situation, but if your 10.5aav starter needs a 30-40 game backup to stay effective then you got problems.

Well shit even if the backups lose 10 games per year,that's still 20 points you give away, while overplaying your elite starter. I really dislike the $10M goalie strategy, but it makes sense to have a proper backup to play 30 games. Think about it, this team was built around the fact that Price is elite but he doesn't play at least 15-20 games per year? It's just a dumb strategy to go forward with especially if you have an AHLer playing those 15-20 games - combined with a subpar roster.

Now at least Allen should be decent enough to not lose us games, and Price could benefit from more break and play at a higher level for 50 games than splitting his energy in 65? And if management really believes playoffs are attainable, at least both goalies are solid for the run vs only an overplayed Price.

Not that I understand the need to tie up Allen to 2 more years at close to $3M but seems like MB had his hands tied this Summer...

Reactions: Lshap and ALine

ALine

May 14, 2012
Well shit even if the backups lose 10 games per year,that's still 20 points you give away, while overplaying your elite starter. I really dislike the $10M goalie strategy, but it makes sense to have a proper backup to play 30 games. Think about it, this team was built around the fact that Price is elite but he doesn't play at least 15-20 games per year? It's just a dumb strategy to go forward with especially if you have an AHLer playing those 15-20 games - combined with a subpar roster.

Now at least Allen should be decent enough to not lose us games, and Price could benefit from more break and play at a higher level for 50 games than splitting his energy in 65? And if management really believes playoffs are attainable, at least both goalies are solid for the run vs only an overplayed Price.

Not that I understand the need to tie up Allen to 2 more years at close to $3M but seems like MB had his hands tied this Summer...

Those are fair points, strengthening what is already a strength. It is the habs identify to have rock solid goaltending and to ensure they have it for all 82 makes sense. I think aAllen will be good for the habs. ~13 million in cap for goalies gets less workable when they need to strengthen other areas.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not sure why they have so much tied up in their goaltending. Really terrible way to optimize your already limited cap space.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I thought the idea was that they would have one year of Allen and then Primeau would come up?

And Allen hasn’t played a game with them yet. Not exactly a primary need to extend him this far in advance when he still has a year on the books.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Montreal's been burned by discount backups the last few years, so $2.875M is a good price for a legit backup/1B who can actually win a few games. If Montreal makes the playoffs with a rested Price, call it a worthwhile signing.

Why didn't Bergevin wait until Allen plays a game for them? Normally, that would be a fair question, but you've gotta appreciate the irony of asking this in the Free Agent Frenzy forum.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It's not strange. It's an investment in Price. The theory is Price's game suffered past few years because terrible backups forced the coaches to ride him 60+ games. That theory gained some validation when he came back from 3 month rest and put up .936 in playoffs. So the idea for next season is Allen can play 33% of games so Carey is always rested and in top form, and in those games Allen puts up better #s than the sub .890 the Habs have gotten out of backups the past 2 years.

If this, plus Edmundsun rounding out the top 4 D with big body vets, means they can raise the team save % from .900 last season to closer to league leaders (.915 +) that's the difference in making the playoffs. That's the idea behind spending an extra 2.5$ million on a premium backup.
I’m of the opinion most knowledgeable Habs fans would agree with every word of your post . Why do we have to explain this stuff to non Habs fans ?

Reactions: Peter Puck

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Gotta love every signing across the league and have fans say "seattle bound" or whatever.. with all the players that fans assume they will draft, the team will be pretty horrendous lol
I agree . I’ve heard a lot of fans saying Seattle is gonna take their headache of their hands . Seattle is gonna take thirty cap dumps .

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
At this stage, Seattle will want someone like Khudobin plus another G under 25, as well as a young waiver exempt goalie.
Bergevin has to know the Habs have much more desirable pieces than their backup.
He still has to have a goalie to expose . If he’s not taken it wouldn’t be hard to move him .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
OK. Hear me out. Is there any rule that actually prohibits the presence of two goalies on the same team in the same crease at the same time? Maybe Price and Allen can just split the crease fifty fifty.

I know, I know. It’s a little out of the box. Some of you all might not be ready for this. This is some next level shit. We’re shifting paradigms here; blowing minds. That’s just how Bergevin rolls. Welcome to the new NHL. You’ll thank me later.
Pass that over will you ?

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
It can be argued that MB could have obtained a cheaper back up but Allen was probably the best out there.

And yes, the Habs will be paying some 13M on the goalie position. Not ideal but it is what it is. Price is dominant when he's rested so MB made sure the team had a capable back up. Smart move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad