Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
No offense to Montreal, but I think this helps Kovalchuk's image that he's not just in it for money.
This is a "I just want to play hockey" contract.

The fact that it's a two-way is pretty funny

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
This is the first domino for Montreal that we will look back and Bruins fans will hate. Why?

Montreal is going to flip him after he puts up good numbers to Boston for one of their D prospects who will suddenly thrive in Montreal and haunt the Bruins.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Wow Scandella and Kovalchuck two days apart. Seriously what is thinking behind both moves. Are the Habs contenders or rebuilding? These moves will keep them somewhere in the middle. This were the Leafs before 2016 never good enough to make the playoffs but never bad to get a top pick.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I like these 2 moves, Bergevin is subtly appealing to the fans who want a rebuild without alarming those who want to win right now (and I'm pretty sure the owner is one of them). IMO, it's making more and more sense that he's not allowed to fully rebuild, but he's doing it anyway.

Scandella was almost free (Reilly + 4th for Scandella + AHL F + 5th) and we needed someone to relieve minutes from the top-4. I think it will help Mete (by playing with Petry, where he was good) and Fleury (with a veteran D) development. And Scandella is a UFA and we got rid of Reilly 1.5M contract next year. Clear win for free, players will be happy to have some help, especially the Top-3 who probably won't have to play 25 minutes a night anymore.

After Gallagher injury, he had no choice to find some help. And he needed help on the top-6 because we're short Armia, Drouin and Byron too. We don't really have a player in Laval who can play top-6 RW, and trading for a top-6 RW won't be cheap, and it's not worth it knowing Gally, Armia, Drouin and Byron will come back. So you sign Kovalchuk, who isn't who he used to be, but will probably want to prove he can still play. He won't be a game changer, but I think it's a mutual understanding that he will have Top-6 minutes (probably with Danault and Tatar) and will be flip at the deadline if we aren't contenders, we will flip him to one, if anyone is interested.

TLDR: Fans wanting a rebuild should be really happy right now. Fans who want to win right now.... be happy, we have PPG Ilya Kovalchuk with us........:sarcasm: !!

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Wow Scandella and Kovalchuck two days apart. Seriously what is thinking behind both moves. Are the Habs contenders or rebuilding? These moves will keep them somewhere in the middle. This were the Leafs before 2016 never good enough to make the playoffs but never bad to get a top pick.

Leafs fans can never make anything not about themselves it's incredible.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wasn't Kovalchuk pretty well rounded in NJ?

What a weird take, comparing a future HOFer to a bust.
no, the team was a sticky trap for pucks from the offensive blueline to their own end, Kovalchuck was always leaving early for offensive opportunities and coming back late.

what Kovalchuk was 7+ years ago is the only reason you're saying that, and I agree that if they were getting anything resembling that player then this would be something to get excited about, but other than marketing value this is very like adding a Nikita Scherbak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad