Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Hard to see a 36 year old keep this kind of effort for 82 games, but he was real good for his first game

when almost your entire left side is in the hospital, he’s gonna have the opportunity to prove he still belongs and so far, he does not disappoint

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
With Williams signing in Carolina, I bet some of the teams interested in him might be interested in Kovalchuk if he keeps up his good play

Reactions: Fixxer

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Perfect storm for Montreal. Injuries made signing Kovalchuk make sense. Players return from injury. Price returns to form. Turns out you actually got a good version of Kovalchuk for just $700k. Miracle Cinderella story cup run incoming.

Not like this.

Reactions: Huety Louis

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Drouin - Domi - Kovy
Byron - Suzuki - Armia
Lehky - Thompson - Poehling

KK to Laval to find himself

Can't wait to be fully healthy... we may just see some exiting hockey again. Probably win some games by 1 goal instead of losing them all by 1.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Drouin - Domi - Kovy
Byron - Suzuki - Armia

Can't wait to be fully healthy... we may just see some exiting hockey again. Probably win some games by 1 goal instead of losing them all by 1.
How about Thompson sitting in the stands and KK playing 4th line.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Rather have KK in Laval playing 20 minutes a night, learning how to play right and getting his confidence back instead of toiling on the 4th line playing roughly 8 minutes a night

The only reason why KK isn't playing 20 min anywhere is he doesn't have the proper motor yet. His growing body is hampering his stamina level.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Rather have KK in Laval playing 20 minutes a night, learning how to play right and getting his confidence back instead of toiling on the 4th line playing roughly 8 minutes a night

Have to agree.. i never understand why teams do that with players who haven't lit up the minor leagues.

KK would benefit a lot from having the experience of being a top scorer on his team, something he's never done in professional hockey.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I gotta say he's looked really good. Way better defensively than I thought he'd be. Takes great routes to cut off pucks in all zones. Skating is good as far as I can tell. Habs are a skating team and he's kept up just fine. Doesn't look old and broken down to me. Very poised with the puck, great vision. As I said on the Habs board though, it'll come down to finishing. If he puts 8-10 goals up before the deadline, someone's gonna want him. If he gets 2...probably not.

He's getting his timing back. I think the goals will come. Then he probably goes for something like a 3rd round pick to a team like Carolina.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Perfect storm for Montreal. Injuries made signing Kovalchuk make sense. Players return from injury. Price returns to form. Turns out you actually got a good version of Kovalchuk for just $700k. Miracle Cinderella story cup run incoming.

Not like this.

You kind of hit the nail on the head with the perfect storm. Habs having injuries and struggling made Bergevin more open to signing Kovalchuk and Kovalchuk/Agent didn't want him sitting till the deadline where they knew the Habs can play him in a top role with ice time.

Playoffs though? It's not happening. Even if we play .600+ hockey in the 2nd half, it's still a long stretch. Signing Kovalchuk is about bridging the gap with our injuries, not exposing Price any more than we already have, and possibly flipping Kovy at the deadline.

giphy.gif

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I gotta say he's looked really good. Way better defensively than I thought he'd be. Takes great routes to cut off pucks in all zones. Skating is good as far as I can tell. Habs are a skating team and he's kept up just fine. Doesn't look old and broken down to me. Very poised with the puck, great vision. As I said on the Habs board though, it'll come down to finishing. If he puts 8-10 goals up before the deadline, someone's gonna want him. If he gets 2...probably not.

He's getting his timing back. I think the goals will come. Then he probably goes for something like a 3rd round pick to a team like Carolina.

I'll add that his passes are crisp, accurate and well timed. It's entertaining.

Reactions: Video Coach

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
The only reason why KK isn't playing 20 min anywhere is he doesn't have the proper motor yet. His growing body is hampering his stamina level.
Hence the downgrade to Laval.
He can increase his Stamina by playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL.

Just another reason why it would be beneficial

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
After 2 games I see no problem with his speed at all and he has been our most physical forward

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If he keeps it up and the Habs are on the outside looking in. Could be a decent return for him from a desperate playoff team.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Drouin - Domi - Kovy
Byron - Suzuki - Armia

Yup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad