Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It’s a pretty desperate move, but Montreal is a pretty desperate team. Armia and Gallagher both out for awhile looks like, wonder if he’ll slot in at right wing.

Reactions: Metroid

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
HAHA "Contender Kovalchuk"

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the Habs will still trend to miss the playoffs and at the deadline Habs fans will want a 1st + blue chop prospect for him

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The two-way part is confusing.... I'm guessing insurance in case he doesn't work out, goes unclaimed on waivers and doesn't want to go the termination route again? I'm assuming it would be too late to then "assign" him to an interested KHL team?

Overall a low risk move with some potential reward for the Habs. They've got about 7 weeks to see if he helps get them closer to the playoffs, but if they don't and he plays well they can sell him as a super cheap rental (cap hit of less than $100k with full retention) to a contender at the deadline for maybe a late pick or something. And if he's crap, he's gone by the end of the season or possibly earlier if they decide to bury him, where he'll cost them somewhere under $35k to sit at home (or very unlikely) play for Laval.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
This is a no risk move for Montreal. 700k! Reward is higher than risk.

Have to say the cost settlement is a bit surprising, but Kovy must have gotten a sweet bonus from LAK before they agreed to part ways.

700k, basically Kovy had time to rest/train during last month and half, half season to play balls to wall.

My old Kovy coming back east, the nostalgia never ends... this is definitely another conversation piece.....

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
It would be good plan, if not for the fact that Kovalchuk looked pretty finished in LA and likely wont look better in Montreal.
There's also the fact that Kings is a garbage team and Canadiens are one of the best possession team this season and are getting killed by substandard goaltending and an ill-timed injury on Drouin.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Meh, Montreal's biggest problem lately has been finish. They get tons of chances but have nobody that can put them in. I'm okay with having a slow one way player as long as he can bat it in.

Either way, 700k during a lost season isn't the end of the world

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I guess my only thing with that would be that this takes all the control away from Kovalchuk's end and gives it to MTL. He could have signed with any contender he wanted (that would have him), but now he is relying on MTL to trade him to a contender rather than a team on the outside looking in (perhaps someone thinks a cheap Kovalchuk is the difference between 8th and 9th). Maybe none of the top teams were interested in adding him at league minimum.

He was truly awful this year. Proposals on here aside, no one wanted him.

He had to wait almost 3 weeks to sign a two-way league minimum deal with a team missing its top two RWers, three of their four top wingers and four of their top seven wingers. That seems pretty indicative of how he was valued.

He's hoping to rehabilitate his value with more opportunity. I doubt it happens in Montreal, but it definitely wasn't going to happen if he wasn't playing at all.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bargain Bin never throws his old shopping lists away!

Yesterday Scandella, today Kovalchuk.

Can’t really argue with this move given Montréal's injuries up front

Who else is available that used to be good 10 years ago?

Reactions: OldCraig71

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There's also the fact that Kings is a garbage team and Canadiens are one of the best possession team this season and are getting killed by substandard goaltending and an ill-timed injury on Drouin.

Montreal also got hurt by other injuries too and that their defensive gap control is non-existent.

Montreal may be able to help him look better though. That probably went into his reasoning too.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the Habs will still trend to miss the playoffs and at the deadline Habs fans will want a 1st + blue chop prospect for him

To be fair, I'd take a 1st and a blue chop prospect for any player. Offer me a 1st for Dale Weise? I'm done. Offer me one for Hudon, bingo. For the ECHL player we got yesterday in the Reilly trade, absolutely.

No harm in asking for an unrealistic return p

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The two-way part is odd. It’s not like he’s going to report to the AHL.

he signed it though. if it got to that point and he wouldn't report, pretty sure they just terminate his contract. all about saving as much cap space as they can if he doesn't work out.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Would need to start with Sandin + a 1st 2021 to get the conversation started...

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad