Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In all seriousness this is a fantastic move.

As low risk/high reward a move that can be made. He even has a 2-way contract. If it doesn't work out, absolutely no loss. But he's a high talent/skill player who clearly didn't work out well in LA - maybe a change in scenery can rejuvenate him.

As a Habs fan i like it.
I’d call it more a low risk/low reward move.
Kind of like a trade of fourth liners. Meh.
Doesn’t move the needle either way.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
All these Leaf fans criticizing this move.Have they all forgot about Spezza.:laugh:

Man, there was a time when i would've been absolutely giddy to somehow see Spezza and Kovalchuk together on a line. Two of my absolute favourite players to watch from that era. It would've been just crazy skilled dominance with superbly entertaining style.

Now, it'd just be a really sad reminder of the times with a hefty negative goal differential. Sad.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I’d call it more a low risk/low reward move.
Kind of like a trade of fourth liners. Meh.
Doesn’t move the needle either way.

If Kovalchuk manages to find himself some PP time and clicks with the rest of the unit...there's at least a little bit more potential upside than your typical swap of 4th liners probably. He should still be able to find a way to contribute to the Special Teams battle like that...as long as he's not an utterly unplayable liability the rest of the time.

But yeah. Still seems like a shot in the dark with low risk, and pretty marginal reward upside. Probably better than actually trying to spend assets chasing something else toward the deadline. :dunno:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
if he plays on all powerplays and ends up with ~13-14 mins of icetime I think he could potentially help a lot.

Thats a pretty big 'could.'

I dont really like him BUT I do like Montreal so i hope it works for their sake. Im just not getting invested in this move. His best days are behind him and he's lost a bunch if his speed. Granted, LA is a dunpster fire but anytime I saw him play, he didnt look good ... at all.

I hope im wrong... truly. I just dont see it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't know why everyone is complaining. Habs have a young quick team. All Kovalchuk needs to do is sit in the slot and fire.
That's the problem he was never really fast and is even slower now, I figure he will have trouble keeping up with the play.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
That's the problem he was never really fast and is even slower now, I figure he will have trouble keeping up with the play.

You think Hockey is all fast rushes? You know when teams get in the zone they set up right? Kovalchuk can glide to his position.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Smart to have the 2 way deal, I'm sure he wouldn't go to the AHL and would just head back to Russia, but it's a worst case 70k investment for the Canadiens

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
People crapping on this signing are being silly. I mean, I won’t call it a good a great signing by any means, but it’s so low risk. Even if thecworse happens, what’s the major fallout for the Montreal Canadiens here? Nothing, that’s what. Nothing at all.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Seen it before with Semin and Tanguay. Habs fans will start putting him their proposed line-ups on the 1st line, then call for Bergevin's head when it doesn't work out.

Reactions: Fixxer

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Who has 16pts and wasn't told he's wasn't going to be playing, on a bottom 5 team in the league.
Is Old Molasses playing the 4th line for you?

This time you are reaching.
16 pts playing on one of the most offensive teams in the league. Heck Kovi has 9 pt in 13 less games playing on a bottom 5 team in the league.
If Spezza can make the GREAT Leafs Kovi should be able to make the poor Habs.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Spezza has been a great pick-up. He's scoring a little over .5 pts per game right now. It's a fine move because if it doesn't work out he can be buried.
And Kovi is scoring a little over .5 pts per game right now and if it doesn't work out he can be buried also.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I am very happy for the Kovy + Scandella pick ups. Either they help for a playoffs push or we sell them at TDL.

We paid nothing for both & cleared more cap space with Reilly’s contract off the book for next year.

Reactions: HabsAddict

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Lol. I just can't wait for kovy to light it up when he's playing with Suzuki drouin Weber Tatar poehling. He's the perfect fit for a team lacking one or two players who can finish all he hard work the other players do.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Likely only got two-way offers so figured he’d pick a place with openings so he would be most likely to stay on an NHL roster.

At this point, no risk for Habs, but not much reward either...

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
giphy.gif
I gave you a 'like' because of the cleavage...

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
For those who say this is a low risk move - of course there is a risk. Just like whenever you ice a bad hockey player. He could potentially lose you many hockey games.

He gets beat a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad