Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Sam Montembeault signs extension with the Canadiens (3 years, $3.15M AAV)

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Monty is a solid bridge starter until one of the Habs G prospects are ready to take over. He has done well to use his size to optimize his performance, and his injured hand he had earlier is clearly fine now as he's making way better glove saves. He has entered his prime and if he can get enough help from the team, he is capable of solid numbers.

I like the chances that Monty both serves as that stopgap starter while the team is being developed, and having him be a trade chip when he is due to become an UFA. the AAV isn't anything crazy for a backup/1B, and the cap is going to start going up again so its only going to get better in value. Good signing.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Glad he is signed so the Montreal can stop posting ridiculous ask from the Oilers. Having said that he does have very good numbers at 5 on 5 and his low PK numbers can be a system thing. He just isn't proven enough for the Oilers to gamble on.
But Campbell was??
Teams out there besides the Oil who need goalies..............The 3 goalie carousel will continue for another couple of days or weeks.....either Allen or Primeau are going somewhere....

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
may seem like a cherry picked stat, but i find it quite telling. Habs are 8th most punished team (this was much worse a few weeks ago), but they are 10th in least amount of goals at 5 on 5.

Montreal has a lot of situations where the players have to play huge shifts because the puck is in their end, which means Monty (and other goalies) must be doing well. It also means that they draw a lot of penalties because of it. Montreal has let in the most PK goals and 5th worse PK in the league. I find it hard to look at a goalie's stats and lay blame to them for their team's record when a goalie faces more than 5 powerplays a game on average.
Even strength save percentage isn’t a cherry picked stat at all. It’s not like a lot of these lame fancy stats made up by a bunch of nerds in their basement nowadays that make people think they can tell exactly what happened in a game without actually watching it.

Reactions: dukeofjive

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He got shelled that first year in Montreal when everyone was checked out under Ducharme, but he was playing through an injury as well which he corrected that summer.

Since then, he's been pretty good. This team gives up a lot of chances and he seems to keep the Habs in games more often than not.

The question for me is not whether he's a decent NHL talent. That's already been shown for people who follow the team daily. However, he has been playing alongside Jake Allen since he got here, and now the 3 goalie carousel this year. The question is how he plays if he's given a true starter load, and since we don't know the answer to that, it probably kept his cap hit mild.

They need to make a decision on this 3 goalie carousel sooner than later, and this contract at least gives a bit more clarity in terms of where they are headed, but it remains muddy overall.
Seems he turned his game around when he backed stop team Canada at the Worlds.

Reactions: dukeofjive

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Seems he turned his game around when he backed stop team Canada at the Worlds.

I'd go as far back to the time when the team went on a run after hiring msl... in the latter part of the 21/22 season. He was shakier then but he had certain stretches where he looked really good after the coaching change. Those were the first indications, then he followed that up with more consistency last year.

Reactions: Steeler23

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Says someone who hasn't watched him in the last 2 years.
He is the main reason why Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson are not Hab at the moment.

This year again, only goalie with a positive record out of the 3.
Geez, they would have got all three? I like Monty, but I think I would ship him to Siberia if he cost my team all of that.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
As of right now he will be the 30th highest paid goalie next year. How can that be considered an overpayment? ....and this is a UFA contract.
I guess some people will always use the 'overpayment' rant.
you can make ME the 100th highest paid goalie next year and it would still be a huge overpayment. so what?

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Yep, give him a big contract for his 10 games played this season at a 0.910 save %. Let’s just gloss over his career 0.897 save %. :laugh:
Sounds like you don't watch Canadiens games. Even Carey Price in his prime would not have good stats with this roster. He's good, and that contract is good as well.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Montembault has performed like a mid-range starter from last season to now over a 50 game sample. In front of a really bad defensive team too. Anyone calling 3.15 x 3 years an overpay isn't paying attention.

The Habs might have been be better off with an atrocious Allen-Primeau pairing for tank purposes, but that's a different discussion.
a .903 over his last 50 games is not mid range starter level.

thats 43rd in the nhl in the last 2 seasons combined.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Says someone who hasn't watched him in the last 2 years.
He is the main reason why Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson are not Hab at the moment.

This year again, only goalie with a positive record out of the 3.
He's so good he stopped the Habs from finishing last, second last and third last all in the same year? Impressive.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting that they basically gave him the "medium" sort of "stopgap" bridge type deal. Makes sense i guess, as he's still not entirely proven as a true #1 Goaltender and may never be. Don't mind the signing at all...but it's very much just an indication that the Habs are continuing to kick the can down the road on finding a true successor to Price.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
3 years is perfect. Transitional goalie while the team waits for Dobes and then Fowler to be ready. 3,15 is peanuts for a decent goalie. Fair deal.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Very fitting after every single goal on Primeau last night was a bad one. And at least two leaky ones and one off his glove.

They’re hoping and praying he can still become something.
Why wouldn’t they, he has his flaws but he has shown to be improving all of them.. hoping it’s just a matter of time.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
We are not talking about the Leafs here but since you brought it up Leafs have better goalies right now. There isn’t a single goalie in the Habs system better than Woll.

Then they have a goalie doing well in the KHL and another Swede in the AHL.
Woll looks good I’ll give you that.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Monty has been showing consistent improvement, so I'm happy with the deal. He was truly awful his first year with Montreal and looked much better last year... he has continued to show some improvement into this season and all of this has happened while playing for a bottom tier team with a bunch of young defenders.

Blows my mind that I see people trying to say this is an overpayment or talk poorly on the contract. It's 3.15 mil a year... I think the team that has been taking on cap dumps and retaining salary left and right for assets will be fine coughing up less than 4% of the salary cap for a solid stop-gap goalie while they continue to re-tool.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad