Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Sam Montembeault signs extension with the Canadiens (3 years, $3.15M AAV)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Super, super easy comparable with Karel Vejmelka, who got 2.75 X 3 a few years ago on what I believe was an RFA before even finishing his first full season with the Coyotes, in an environment where the cap was obviously going to be stable for a few seasons. Montembault may end up earning a little tad bit more of the cap (%-wise) than Vejmelka, but he also has a somewhat more substantial body of work at the moment of the signing, has been generally the best Habs netminder during his whole tenure prior to signing this contract (something Vejmelka wasn't quite... yet), and it's an UFA deal as opposed to a RFA deal.

(And the Vejmelka deal is actually pretty okay)

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Why is three goalies such a bad thing? I get traditionally team's have been set up for 2 goalies and practices have been optimized for 2 goalies making things awkward when it's happened before, but it really seems to me like the 3 goalie thing is more likely to be how teams operate going forward, notably how Buffalo/Carolina is doing it, with one of the goalies being waiver exempt and able to get AHL and NHL starts.

I think its an important evaluation piece to see how a goalie performs when they are given the ball to run with. Some goalies are good given a limited role but implode if they are asked to be the guy.

You can't give the ball to anyone if you are spreading out your starts between 3 guys, and it's tough for the goalies as well since none of them can really get into the rhythm.

It's just hard to get the full picture on a guy with this carousel, other than Jake Allen, whose been around long enough and who we have seen alot of in different workload environments.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
feels a little like the Koskinen contract.

He’s “proven” very little but the contract is at least partially given based on potential and the fact that he’s the best option the team has at this time.

I’m guessing that with the Ullmark situation in Buffalo a couple years ago, and the fact that the goalie market should be hot this summer this driving up price, the Habs wanted to get this out of the way.

At the end of the day, it’s hardly a back breaking contract regardless of outcome, but he’s hardly a lock to maintain consistent starter status for three years. We shall see and I look forward to getting labeled a “hater” for not being all roses and butterflies about it.
It's much, much closer to the Vejmelka contract.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
One thing I think needs to be considered in goalie discussions these days is that .904 was league average last year, and .903 this year. We're in a new offensive environment, you can't evaluate sv% as if it's 2015 when .905 was a crappy backup sv%.

In the context of league average being .904, Montembeault having a .901 across 40 games on an atrociously bad defensive team is a pretty solid performance. I don't really "believe" in him as a starter, but he's been pretty solid for the past ~50 games and I don't mind keeping him around as a stopgap and giving him some leash to see what he can do with a bigger role.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Says someone who hasn't watched him in the last 2 years.
He is the main reason why Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson are not Hab at the moment.

This year again, only goalie with a positive record out of the 3.
Damn, he stopped you from getting all 3 in the same draft. What a jerk!

• Haha
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
22-23: Sam 16w in 40 gp Jake 15 wins in 42 gp. Got to « blame » Jake too (he played more minutes) for missing on Bedard…
I haven't double checked that but from memory Jake got a lot of his wins when the team was heatlhy early in the season while Sam's wins were with a mostly AHL lineup in front of him.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I haven't double checked that but from memory Jake got a lot of his wins when the team was heatlhy early in the season while Sam's wins were with a mostly AHL lineup in front of him.
Cant help you there. I watch but not that closely! Last year the difference between both goalies didnt strike me. Allen was blamed for playing too well in many wins from the tank crowd

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Based on his play this year and last, he's worth every penny of this contract. He's keeping the Habs in games that they have no business being in. Sam's been strong playing behind a D group composed mostly of rookies and sophomores this year and last. He's a certified tank-wrecker.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Says someone who hasn't watched him in the last 2 years.
He is the main reason why Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson are not Hab at the moment.

This year again, only goalie with a positive record out of the 3.
You say that like its a good thing.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
As long as it was under 4M and 4 years, I was going to be ok with the deal.

I'm not a huge fan, but he is the best option for Montreal right now and for the immediate future.

Reactions: pouf pouf

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Montembault has performed like a mid-range starter from last season to now over a 50 game sample. In front of a really bad defensive team too. Anyone calling 3.15 x 3 years an overpay isn't paying attention.

The Habs might have been be better off with an atrocious Allen-Primeau pairing for tank purposes, but that's a different discussion.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The real question now is which of Primeau or Allen gets moved.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
That deal will be done by the time the team "should" be a contender. They need to look for a real #1 soon

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hughes appears like he's trying to build the most mediocre team in the league.

After spending two top 5 picks on Slafkovsky and Reinbacher, they need to bottom out badly and find some star talent.

If there were decent offers on the table for Montembeault they definitely should have pulled the trigger, as if he keeps up his strong play (unlikely based on his previous numbers at literally every level of competition) they'll just end up worsening their draft position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad