Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Sam Montembeault signs extension with the Canadiens (3 years, $3.15M AAV)

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So interesting, please tell us more about you not watching the guy play, geezus this place lol

i have not said a single word about monty. i just think being the 30th or 100th or anything highest paid goalie doesn't protect you against being overpaid. if a player isn't worth his salary he is overpaid.

as the contract starts next season and i can't see the future, i don't know if my statement matters for monty. i just know that the argument of the poster i quoted was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JRichard

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Not bad for a 1B, now get Allen to Laval or dump him somewhere and stop the 3 goalies nonsense.
But what is a 1B?
a bad starter but a good backup?
Management and player both think he is worth backup money or i read the contract wrong.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
But what is a 1B?
a bad starter but a good backup?
Management and player both think he is worth backup money or i read the contract wrong.
Technically would fall into both categories. Not good/proven enough to be considered a true workhorse #1 goalie but also better than just a backup.

In an ideal 1A/B situation, you have two goalies who are capable of playing 40+ games and giving your team a fighting chance most nights. Which is the next best thing to having a proven #1 guy.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I was ready to go up to 3 X 4M$. We were hearing 4 x 4.5M$. I think he's worth his deal. He'll be trying to prove himself to get another good contract at age 30, which is good.

From what I see from other fanbases comments, he seems underrated. He's also a very good person out of the rink. Really happy for him.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montembeault has .910% save Percentage. On a club leading the league for giving up most high danger scoring chances. NHL average is .903%. It's great contract for Habs. No trade protection, in three years Habs can trade him for good return. When these draft picks are ready.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Even strength save percentage isn’t a cherry picked stat at all. It’s not like a lot of these lame fancy stats made up by a bunch of nerds in their basement nowadays that make people think they can tell exactly what happened in a game without actually watching it.

Well it would probably easy to use the reverse of the coin - that Monty is below par on PK - to refute my comment. However, I find it is harder to blame him than the overall system and PK unit.

I admittedly like a lot of those stats, because i often use them to support my argument. It still comes down to finding the best stats to debate with, and be able to argue why your stat outweighs another. I am actually at the point where finding the stats i want are hard to.

I find a certain stat fascinating - by calculating data accumulated through decades of hockey, you can actually give an average value to a play; let's say breakaways have a 30% chance of ending up in a goal. Every time a player has one, you add 0.3 to their "score" for that game. By the end of the game, you end up with an "expected goals" score, which can be applied individually or collectively. This data can help agents with comparables and teams with a review of performance (viewing what they statistically they should have had, vs what really happened).

My favorite use for this stat is for goalies to see how, historically, the average goalie would have fared against the expected goal score of any given game. It makes it easier to see how well a goalie is playing when your team is rebuilding, given that this score will be consitently in the other team's favour.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well it would probably easy to use the reverse of the coin - that Monty is below par on PK - to refute my comment. However, I find it is harder to blame him than the overall system and PK unit.

I admittedly like a lot of those stats, because i often use them to support my argument. It still comes down to finding the best stats to debate with, and be able to argue why your stat outweighs another. I am actually at the point where finding the stats i want are hard to.

I find a certain stat fascinating - by calculating data accumulated through decades of hockey, you can actually give an average value to a play; let's say breakaways have a 30% chance of ending up in a goal. Every time a player has one, you add 0.3 to their "score" for that game. By the end of the game, you end up with an "expected goals" score, which can be applied individually or collectively. This data can help agents with comparables and teams with a review of performance (viewing what they statistically they should have had, vs what really happened).

My favorite use for this stat is for goalies to see how, historically, the average goalie would have fared against the expected goal score of any given game. It makes it easier to see how well a goalie is playing when your team is rebuilding, given that this score will be consitently in the other team's favour.
Swayman is second on 5x5 save percentage, just a few points behind Montembeault. but look at the defense he is playing behind?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Swayman is second on 5x5 save percentage, just a few points behind Montembeault. but look at the defense he is playing behind?
That makes Monty look even better.

I think the issue with Montreal right now is that there are holes in the lineup (either through injuries or downright no one being there that can fill them) and these are causing players to take on roles that they aren't necessarily accustomed to or able to pull off long term.

For example, David Savard is a great 5-6 D to have on a competitive team. The guy is super effective on PK, where he blocks a lot of shots. However, until some Reinbacher or Mailloux is ready for top pairing minutes, Savard is the guy that takes on these minutes. This means that he gets way more play than he should, and that comes with shot blocking attempts. Matheson has fluid skating and it is helping him, but he is far overplayed, though i have way more faith in Guhle taking on first pairing minutes than i do with anyone behind Savard.

Reactions: JRichard

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
17TH best GA in the league
17TH best SVPCT % in the league while having the best 5x5 SVPCT % in the league.
They are not stats for a starter in the league.:sarcasm:
Yet the haters say 3.15 mil a yr is a huge Overpayment for those kind of stats.:sarcasm::sarcasm:
What a deal.:naughty::naughty::naughty::thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad