Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Sam Montembeault signs extension with the Canadiens (3 years, $3.15M AAV)

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Not a fan of that. He's been solid, but he's a journeyman. Very replaceable. Contract is too much for too long.
Replaceable by who?

Of those in the system, at a pro level, Primeau is the best. Of the three in Montreal, Sam has clearly handled the 3-goalie rotation the best. He's also looked as good as one can behind a team that struggles defensively from night to night. As shown on the second page, his numbers are solid. He's a known commodity and fits with the group.

A list of UFA goalies after this season isn't exactly awe inspiring.

Reactions: pth2 and viceroy

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Forgot an important detail, at 5v5, sorry about that.
may seem like a cherry picked stat, but i find it quite telling. Habs are 8th most punished team (this was much worse a few weeks ago), but they are 10th in least amount of goals at 5 on 5.

Montreal has a lot of situations where the players have to play huge shifts because the puck is in their end, which means Monty (and other goalies) must be doing well. It also means that they draw a lot of penalties because of it. Montreal has let in the most PK goals and 5th worse PK in the league. I find it hard to look at a goalie's stats and lay blame to them for their team's record when a goalie faces more than 5 powerplays a game on average.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I swear HFBoards is just a warzone where fanbase will just sh*t on any players that aren't with their team. He signed for 3 f***king millions dollar for 3 years and people act like it's SO BAD! That's a Forsberg/Khudobin/Hutton kind of contract money. Ville Husso got 3 years at 4.75 after 1 decent year with STL.

Montembeault was a 3rd string in Florida, and 2 years ago, when picked on waivers, came in the worst timeline of MTL (under Ducharme). The team only had 2 players who weren't injured for at least 10 games during that season (Suzuki played 82 games and Romanov 79). They played 11 differents D played at least 10 games. They didn't draft 1st overall for no reason that year. No goaltender could save them.

He worked on becoming who he is today from this day. Montembeault also played super well this summer in the World Championship. So, he's shown last year + this summer that he is a good enough to be worth 3M/3Y. He's continuing to show it right now. People say it's just 10 games, but it's more complicated. He's sharing the goal with 2 other goalies, he's playing 1 out of 3 games. Any goalie will tell that they like to play often to stay in game shape. Despite that, he's having a very good season.

3M/3Y isn't even #1 goalie territory, so stop crying that it's too much. I'm not even a huge Montembeault fan, I was alright with trading him (if the offer was good) and running 2 goalies that aren't as good. But acting like he isn't worth 1B money is just dumb. If we let him go, we'll just need to replace him with someone similar, at the same amount (or probably a bit more). Better just give him this contract and run with him.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
3 mil is backup money, especially in 3-4 yrs.
tells me all agreed he is and will be a backup.
Nothing wrong with that, if you play him as a backup.

surprised he accepted less than Jake next year.

Reactions: abo9 and pouf pouf

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
all the poster that now say SM is now way overpaid are just mad that Habs signed hin and for MORE money so any hidden offer ready to be made is now off and SM is now MORE expensive. So think about it, why are all these poster angry what is it to THEM in the first place. could it just be that the price just went UP, harder for the their cap.
Considering there isn't a single poster on here that signs players to NHL contracts - I think your theory has a lot of holes.

1 - Look when almost any player is re-signed (not even just Habs players) and there will be 60% of the posts saying the new deal is too much

2 - a 27 year old goalie with a career sub 900 save percentage and a gaa over 3.0 is not really a starting goalie. $3.15 for a goalie that has never played 50% of an 82 game season isn't a great contract.

Reactions: pouf pouf

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I swear HFBoards is just a warzone where fanbase will just sh*t on any players that aren't with their team. He signed for 3 f***king millions dollar for 3 years and people act like it's SO BAD! That's a Forsberg/Khudobin/Hutton kind of contract money. Ville Husso got 3 years at 4.75 after 1 decent year with STL.

Montembeault was a 3rd string in Florida, and 2 years ago, when picked on waivers, came in the worst timeline of MTL (under Ducharme). The team only had 2 players who weren't injured for at least 10 games during that season (Suzuki played 82 games and Romanov 79). They played 11 differents D played at least 10 games. They didn't draft 1st overall for no reason that year. No goaltender could save them.

He worked on becoming who he is today from this day. Montembeault also played super well this summer in the World Championship. So, he's shown last year + this summer that he is a good enough to be worth 3M/3Y. He's continuing to show it right now. People say it's just 10 games, but it's more complicated. He's sharing the goal with 2 other goalies, he's playing 1 out of 3 games. Any goalie will tell that they like to play often to stay in game shape. Despite that, he's having a very good season.

3M/3Y isn't even #1 goalie territory, so stop crying that it's too much. I'm not even a huge Montembeault fan, I was alright with trading him (if the offer was good) and running 2 goalies that aren't as good. But acting like he isn't worth 1B money is just dumb. If we let him go, we'll just need to replace him with someone similar, at the same amount (or probably a bit more). Better just give him this contract and run with him.
It pretty much is.

Majority of people just wait for anything negative about their rival and jump on it, or try to twist something into a negative.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah just ignore the context where his first 60 games were his rookie and sophomore seasons and games on a god awful Habs team that finished last in the league.

Careers stats is pretty much the worst stat to use here.

If there is one thing Habs are great at is finding and evaluating goalies so no worried one bit here, Leafs in the other case...

We are not talking about the Leafs here but since you brought it up Leafs have better goalies right now. There isn’t a single goalie in the Habs system better than Woll.

Then they have a goalie doing well in the KHL and another Swede in the AHL.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Honnestly, who would pick Primeau off waivers?
Well, you can google it as well as I can, there are rumors of a half-dozen teams being interested to some extent. Frankly, I'd rather move Allen and give Primeau more games to see if he stays an AHL-level goalie or if he takes that next step.

Reactions: Steeler23

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
nope===habs can keep him

Yeah Oilers are just fine and dandy. Everything is moving according to Ken Holland's plan. Once they get gifted Macklin Celebrini they'll be fine losing Draisaitl.

That deal will be done by the time the team "should" be a contender. They need to look for a real #1 soon

They have 3 promising G prospects: Quentin Miller, Yevgeni Volokhin and my fave Jacob Fowler.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hughes appears like he's trying to build the most mediocre team in the league.

After spending two top 5 picks on Slafkovsky and Reinbacher, they need to bottom out badly and find some star talent.

If there were decent offers on the table for Montembeault they definitely should have pulled the trigger, as if he keeps up his strong play (unlikely based on his previous numbers at literally every level of competition) they'll just end up worsening their draft position.
Why bother with a high draft position when you're just going to draft mediocre players with them.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Well, you can google it as well as I can, there are rumors of a half-dozen teams being interested to some extent. Frankly, I'd rather move Allen and give Primeau more games to see if he stays an AHL-level goalie or if he takes that next step.
Primeau has a lot more "value" if he clears waivers. Right now, he's a meh NHL backup.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Is Sam Montembeault a Roy or is he a Thibault?
That's an odd comment, considering that, if Montembault was Roy :
- We would already have known
- His pricetag wouldn't be 3.15M/yr for his prime years.

Jocelyn Thibeault was a slightly-below league average starter - albeit a very consistent one - who could be relied on to play 60 games a season, year in year out. That netminder would be worth more than 3.15M in today's market.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Glad he is signed so the Montreal can stop posting ridiculous ask from the Oilers. Having said that he does have very good numbers at 5 on 5 and his low PK numbers can be a system thing. He just isn't proven enough for the Oilers to gamble on.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Yeah Oilers are just fine and dandy. Everything is moving according to Ken Holland's plan. Once they get gifted Macklin Celebrini they'll be fine losing Draisaitl.

They have 3 promising G prospects: Quentin Miller, Yevgeni Volokhin and my fave Jacob Fowler.
None of those 3 promising prospects were drafted top 5 of their class just last June. They were picked 10th, 13th and 6th.

funny thing: Cayden primeau first ncaa year .931. Fowler… .931.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Glad he is signed so the Montreal can stop posting ridiculous ask from the Oilers. Having said that he does have very good numbers at 5 on 5 and his low PK numbers can be a system thing. He just isn't proven enough for the Oilers to gamble on.
I am not getting it. You would now be betting on a backup goalie signed 3.5 yrs. All you want is ok goaltending and he will provide that.

At 1 mil we didnt know what would his next contract look like. Now we know. Its low.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Allen is not the answer for the Oilers---he okay about 5 seasons ago--but the last few years not so much. There is a reason why Monty was able to walk in and do what he has done.

Allan would have Campbell numbers on the oilers

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad