Waived: [MTL] F Joel Armia, D Gustav Lindstrom waived by the Canadiens (cleared)

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Armia is such a sad case. So many way that he can apply himself to be a really useful player, and he's taken those avenues for maybe 6 months of his career and completely coasted otherwise
That just tells you know nothing about him. As a teen he should have worked harder to be a star player but while he couldn't break out as a star, out of nowhere he modified himself to elite defensive player and started working his ass off and he did that for 6 years.

Last 2 years have been the only sad part after his lazy start of the career. Coincidentally, about 2 years ago he was talking to media how he wants to be a goalscorer. Guess he got tired of being a grinder in a bottom tier team?

I'm also disappointed that he never became a star he could have been but saying that he was useful or coasting most of his career is nonsense. You couldn't wish for better bottom 6 player than Armia was in his better years.

I respect him for being able to figure out that "OK, my train as a NHL star seems to be gone but I'll do everything to be a useful NHLer instead of going to Putin league".

Tolvanen was on the same route, he was only a sniper but couldn't make it to the show with only that skill. Then he learned how to defend,pk, hit, play physical and so on. Well after all, seems like Tolvanen found his scoring ability as well but I think he was inspired by his countrymate Armia. There is thousand examples of future stars who busted because they kept thinking they can only be stars. For example, Alex Nylander from my Penguins

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrik Barkov

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
More evidence that Yzerman just grabbed Hughes by the ankles in the Petry trade.
Of course he did, Hughes sent Petry to DET because Petry wanted to, he did him a favor an honestly he could have went for free habs fans doesn't care. We unloaded Hoffman and Pitlick and got a bunch of picks in echange, that's what important

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Possible covid casualty, in a way. Though it may be age-related, too.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's so easy to label a player lazy...I don't think you get to the NHL by being lazy.

Armia just isn't dynamic, and in the new NHL this is not good. There is a reason Armia does better in the playoffs where the game is tighter. He is a grinder, and players with his MO are not very useful in todays game that is built on youth and speed.

More evidence that Yzerman just grabbed Hughes by the ankles in the Petry trade.

Clearly the nuances of cap/asset management escapes you....

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That just tells you know nothing about him. As a teen he should have worked harder to be a star player but while he couldn't break out as a star, out of nowhere he modified himself to elite defensive player and started working his ass off and he did that for 6 years.

Last 2 years have been the only sad part after his lazy start of the career. Coincidentally, about 2 years ago he was talking to media how he wants to be a goalscorer. Guess he got tired of being a grinder in a bottom tier team?

I'm also disappointed that he never became a star he could have been but saying that he was useful or coasting most of his career is nonsense. You couldn't wish for better bottom 6 player than Armia was in his better years.

I respect him for being able to figure out that "OK, my train as a NHL star seems to be gone but I'll do everything to be a useful NHLer instead of going to Putin league".

Tolvanen was on the same route, he was only a sniper but couldn't make it to the show with only that skill. Then he learned how to defend,pk, hit, play physical and so on. Well after all, seems like Tolvanen found his scoring ability as well but I think he was inspired by his countrymate Armia. There is thousand examples of future stars who busted because they kept thinking they can only be stars. For example, Alex Nylander from my Penguins
Armia has been bad man, for the last few seasons.............mails it in most nights.
Has 3-4 good games a season....if he was making 1.5M no one would care.
I can't imagine anyone claims him............if they don't it supports my case, if they do, it supports yours.....
Good luck to him wherever he lands......likely in the AHL.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
No. It's not a package deal. We had Petry. That's it.

He was ours. He was our asset.

Then that clown Hughes decided to retain $2,343,750 and gift the Wings with an extremely affordable second pairing defensemen in exchange for a steaming pile of dung.
Listen, If all you want to do is get the best deal every time you make a trade, you won't have friends very long, and when you may need something, good luck getting it.

Hard nosing only goes so long. You have to throw in some good spirit here and again.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
3.4 M Caphit until the end of 2024-25.
Also gets paid 4.8M this season and 3.8M the next.

Yeah...big ooof. I don't see anyone having any interest in claiming him. If he were at minimum salary, absolutely. Not at that cap hit with additional term remaining.

The only real question here is...when Armia clears waivers, do the Habs have the cajones to follow through and actually bury him in Laval?

Reactions: HabsQC

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
No. It's not a package deal. We had Petry. That's it.

He was ours. He was our asset.

Then that clown Hughes decided to retain $2,343,750 and gift the Wings with an extremely affordable second pairing defensemen in exchange for a steaming pile of dung.

Cry a river man. Petry was never gonna play again in Montreal, it's not f***ing NHL 2024 on your PS5.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
At half price he could be a useful fourth liner. In our cup run he was terrifick on the fourth with Perry and Staal. Great physical puck-possession line. (bear in mind, not sure if he could still do that though)

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Good call from the gm. Just because you make nhl salary doesnt mean youre safe from being sent down.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I'd love to buy the covid theory but Armia was inconsistent, at best, from his early career on. Great talent, fantastic puck protection skills and a monster in the corners. Also one of the best Finns on the international scene. The guy just seems so insecure about everything. Head case for me...

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Of course he did, Hughes sent Petry to DET because Petry wanted to, he did him a favor an honestly he could have went for free habs fans doesn't care. We unloaded Hoffman and Pitlick and got a bunch of picks in echange, that's what important

Retained quite a bit on Petry too

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'd love to buy the covid theory but Armia was inconsistent, at best, from his early career on. Great talent, fantastic puck protection skills and a monster in the corners. Also one of the best Finns on the international scene. The guy just seems so insecure about everything. Head case for me...
I doubt that it has anything to do with COVID-19 and more to do with the guaranteed 13.6 million that Marc Bergevin gave him. He has dealt with some injuries and that has hampered his play at times but during his 5 years in Montreal we have seen a pattern with him where he has one great game then disappears for the next 5 which is too bad because he has the ability to be much more.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Armia central piece in the Buff/Winnipeg trade of Evander Kane/Bogassion trade for Stafford /Tyler Myers / Armia /(1st Rozlovic) and Brendan Lemieux…

Bogassion was waived today

from Tampa as well…

Armia was traded to Montrealfrom Winnipeg as their plus part of a Cap saving $$ trade … when Montreal took on an overpriced Winnipeg Goallie that had 1 year remaining at 4 mill.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
COVID just made his conditioning worse. He wasn't amazing beforehand but he can't even keep up with the play now. 28 (he fell off two years ago) would be rather young to fall off suddenly after the most productive year of his career (paced for over 42 points) otherwise. He's also got an infant which can always cause issues for sleep and training. His decline timing lines up pretty similarly with his wife getting pregnant.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad