Waived: [MTL] F Joel Armia, D Gustav Lindstrom waived by the Canadiens (cleared)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Armia hasn't been the same since he got covid before the 21 cup final.

He's either been injured or useless since.

Wasnt' Lindstrom the supposed center piece of the (2nd) Petry deal?

No, there is no centerpiece in the 2nd petry deal. The habs could have dragged it out and got a better deal, but it seems to me that they were content to oblige petry to go back home and get things resolved before his kids had to go back to school.

I think from the Habs standpoint, this trade was more of a stamp on the type of organization that Hughes wants the Habs to be to be rather than the actual assets coming back.

Last edited:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Armia hasn't been the same since he got covid before the 21 cup final.

He's either been injured or useless since.

No, there is no centerpiece in the 2nd petry deal. The habs could have dragged it out and got a better deal, but it seems to me that they were content to oblige petry to go back home and get things resolved before his kids had to go back to school.

I think from the Habs standpoint, this trade was more of a stamp on the type of organization that Hughes wants the Habs to be to be rather than the actual assets coming back.
Nah, Petry had zero value. Period, even at 50% retained. He was terrible with the Pens last season. At 35, there weren't any takers. The Wings took a chance and the Habs did him a favour by allowing him to return home.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not surprised by Lindstrom waived. He was a low budget 6th-7th on Detroit and was glad he was gone.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Wasn't sure they'd have the sack to waive Armia, dude sucks and this pretty much seals a buyout in the offseason. Then watch him go be productive elsewhere for league min

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Nah, Petry had zero value. Period, even at 50% retained. He was terrible with the Pens last season. At 35, there weren't any takers. The Wings took a chance and the Habs did him a favour by allowing him to return home.

If it were just about tangible assets, I'd retain petry until closer to the deadline. Thats when a contender could come knocking if they have injury problems. But this wasn't about maximizing their tangible return.

I think he can still be a fine as a #4, although hopefully there are better options on the PP.

The risk right now is his age, but no, he's not "terrible".

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Wouldnt mind armia on a vet min deal.
You don't wanna do that. Armia is not the same player as before. He's slow and useless.

Respect to Habs for waiving Armia. Wasn't an easy choice to do it but the right one, he has been horrid for a while.
I didn't think Hughes had it in him but he did it. Armia was given all kinds of chances and was useless in every preseason game.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not messing around with Armia. Can only loaf around and count on your big contract/salary to keep you in the lineup for so long i guess.

I'd definitely still take a flyer on Lindstrom from a Canucks perspective. Concerning that he's now backed his way out of the roster for the Canadiens as well as the Red Wings last year. Most likely he just doesn't have it. But he's not terribly far removed from showing quite a bit of promise...as exactly the sort of bigger, stay-at-home RHD that Vancouver badly needs. He's surely better than Juulsen and he's got way more experience than McWard.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He hasn't looked happy since the cup run. Feels like he is kind of a loner in the room at this point given that he is one of the older players and doesn't care about providing leadership. He always looks disinterested in the team activities

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Wasn't sure they'd have the sack to waive Armia, dude sucks and this pretty much seals a buyout in the offseason. Then watch him go be productive elsewhere for league min
If he gets his money I'd expect him to rather go to Switzerland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad