Confirmed Trade: [MTL/EDM] Montoya to Edmonton for a conditional 4th

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I hate this deal for wasting a pick, contract spot and development time for our young goalies. Better options for cheaper were available all year too.
A 5th round pick is nothing. We need a backup better than Brossoit, and we have one for the rest of this year and next. Some people will complain about anything.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
What a bad trade.

Gave up an asset for a backup who isnt going to make or break the season.

Maybe beating Anaheim tnt gave chia a flicker or hope to make.playoffs.

Reactions: oilers4life5

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
A 5th round pick is nothing. We need a backup better than Brossoit, and we have one for the rest of this year and next. Some people will complain about anything.
He is barely better and has terrible stats. Sports net put out a stat that he has been the 4th worst goalie since 2011. Real upgrade. Thanks for trashing me with little research. Goalies take time to develop, this year is lost, let the kid play.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Statistically speaking over the course of his career, a .908 SV% puts Montoya in Scrivens/Gustavsson territory, he's 32, and he just got his eggs scrambled.

So yeah, I'm complaining.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Statistically speaking over the course of his career, a .908 SV% puts Montoya in Scrivens/Gustavsson territory, he's 32, and he just got his eggs scrambled.

So yeah, I'm complaining.
He's going to play 20 games for us in the next year and a half, give or take. And odds are that a 5th round pick doesn't even become an important AHL player.

In three of the past 4 years Montoya put up better numbers than Gustavsson's career high. Without Scrivens one spectacular season in LA his numbers don't compare either.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He is barely better and has terrible stats. Sports net put out a stat that he has been the 4th worst goalie since 2011. Real upgrade. Thanks for trashing me with little research. Goalies take time to develop, this year is lost, let the kid play.
Brossoit sucks. He isn't an NHL caliber backup goalie. Montoya's numbers in 3 of the past 4 years have been adequate for a 20 game backup. He had a garbage year in there, but Sportsnet is full of crap if they said he's been the 4th worst goalie in the league. We have exactly one NHL goalie in the system. Getting a decent goalie for a late pick is nothing.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
So Brossoit is definitely (eventually) waiver bound now? Oilers fans... what are the odds that Montoya ends up on waivers later this season in order to keep Brossoit in the NHL?

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Seems good for both teams. MTL gets some kind of asset for a goalie they don't need, and EDM gets a backup goalie they need - for 1.5 seasons on a cheap deal - for virtually nothing. Based on the conditions, it'll be a 5th round pick if Talbot stays healthy. Win-win.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The 4th/5th is no big deal and Brossoit is terrible but Montoya was pretty bad earlier in the year and is coming back from a concussion so there isn't much reason to expect him to be that great when coming back. With the Oilers season over now it seems like they could get a better back-up in FA for next year and just use Broissoit or some other goalie that doesn't have concussion issues for the rest of this year.

I think it does show just how bad Chia effed up the role last year and then again in the offseason and then again when Talbot went down earlier this year.

sailorjerry97

Jan 5, 2018
people getting mad about a wasted asset... cmon its a 4th/5th rounder which historically has less than 20% chance of playing 100 nhl games and less than 5% chance of becoming an impact player.
backup goalie is a position the oilers needed to address because brossoit wasn't cutting it

Reactions: Runner77

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I like this from the Habs POV. Montoya was a decent backup for us last year but since he got injured and we had to get replacements, there's just no use for him anymore. I'll take that 4th/5th rounder for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad