Confirmed Trade: [MTL/EDM] Montoya to Edmonton for a conditional 4th

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Montoya is barely adequate. But a 4th or 5th doesn't have the buying power HF thinks they do.

This is a win for Montreal. But that doesn't make it bad for Edmonton. The only problem from Edmonton's side is that they didn't do this sooner. Arizona paid the same price for Wedgewood 2 months ago. Brossoit lost like 6 games between then and now. I wonder how many points a real backup could have salvaged.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Had someone posted this yesterday, everyone wouldve gone like :

"Oh my gawd MTL fans nobody want your thrash"

"You guys are always making ****ty proposals"

"Why don't you add Halak + Ryder + 2nd"

"Montoya has negative value"

and so on...

...And I would have agreed with all of the above :laugh: :laugh:

Thank god there's a few worse GMs than Bergevin.
No. Nobody would've been upset about a backup for a 5th rounder proposal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
For a goalie who would've likely been waived otherwise, yeah it's still something.
We don't know if he would have been waived. More likely he would have taken over as backup and Niemi would have hit the wire instead, and I for one would give up a 5th round pick to ensure that we have Montoya instead of Niemi, who actually is one of the worst goalies in the NHL.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How is it that anyone in this thread is taking a passionate stance on the transfer of a 5th rounder for a backup goalie? Pretty incredible.
If it was most teams, nobody would be saying anything negative, but a lot of people love to crap on certain teams on this board (Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, etc).

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
How is it that anyone in this thread is taking a passionate stance on the transfer of a 5th rounder for a backup goalie? Pretty incredible.

This is Montreal and Edmonton making a trade, not Arizona and Florida (no offense to their fanbases). Obviously this trade is not gonna shake up the whole hockey world but Canadian fanbases tend to be passionate about everything regarding their teams. Nothing wrong with that.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Nice, usually that's one of the only rounds we draft well !!!!!!!

In the Timmins era, 5 players have played games in the NHL out of the 14 picks in the 5th round. (Hudon, Dietz, Dumont, Gallagher, Grabovski)

in the same era, 4 players have played games in the NHL out of the 12 picks in the 4th round. (Locke, Wyman, Ellis, Mete)

So with the numbers and quality of players we drafted, you kinda wish those 4th rounders become 5th rounders

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
NYR
Arizona
NYI
Winnipeg
Florida
Montreal
Edmonton

What a suitcase. Hope he can pass Alex Auld in most teams played for in a career.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
The price isnt bad, but this was the best Edmonton could do for a backup?

I was under the impression Hutch and a couple others were available

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You mad or something ? Marc Bergevin IS putrid we agree on that. Paying for Montoya is idiotic as well though, even a 5th. For the record, I wish we kept Subban, Radulov and Markov, so Bergevin isn't exactly any kind of hero to me

Are you into online divinatory arts or something? Getting "mad" over this is hilarious. :laugh:

On a relative basis, Montoya filled a need. A lot of Oiler fans admitted as much, wishing it had happened earlier. So Chiarelli is risking what exactly. More than likely, this is the best the market offered without paying more, at this time of year. Both teams got what they were after, no one is "winning" much, really. Just a minor deal that most GMs would entertain in a situation of need.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This trade amounts to giving a bum on the street corner some pocket change for a broken watch he found . Maybe you can invest that pocket change and make a million , not likely . On the other hand maybe you can fit that broken watch and have something that has some value .

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
People here are talking like a conditional 4th/5th is some crazy asset to give away. Can any of you recall an Oiler drafted 4th/5th pick that have contributed to the team right away? These picks are usually 3-5yrs away from impact. Montoya is a solid backup goalie that will contribute in some way. Oilers cant trust LB enough as the team is still holding hope to push for a playoff berth. Playing behind Price, Montoya knows how to come into a game after not playing for about 1-1.5 months sometimes and not be so shakey, unlike LB..who will learn.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If you look at each trade Bergevin has made on its own, they're usually pretty good. It's when looking at the big picture where he does a horrible job and has no idea what he's doing.

Agreed but if he rounds out his GM game and starts living in the present instead of the past, he would put it all together and become an elite GM. If he leaves Montreal he'd be a great reclamation project for a franchise. Especially for a team that already has established centres.

I guess you could say Bergevin would be a bargain for another team.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I hate this deal for wasting a pick, contract spot and development time for our young goalies. Better options for cheaper were available all year too.
Bakersfield is for development...not the Oilers. LB needs to be playing games to develop...not sitting on the bench until his name gets called maybe once a month.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Montoya is barely adequate. But a 4th or 5th doesn't have the buying power HF thinks they do.

This is a win for Montreal. But that doesn't make it bad for Edmonton. The only problem from Edmonton's side is that they didn't do this sooner. Arizona paid the same price for Wedgewood 2 months ago. Brossoit lost like 6 games between then and now. I wonder how many points a real backup could have salvaged.
Ya, but Wedgewood had less NHL experience than LB ...and isn't all that much better than him..

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Agreed but if he rounds out his GM game and starts living in the present instead of the past, he would put it all together and become an elite GM. If he leaves Montreal he'd be a great reclamation project for a franchise. Especially for a team that already has established centres.

I guess you could say Bergevin would be a bargain for another team.
There is no way for Bergevin to be classed anywhere near an elite GM.
He is to short sighted, inadequate, and small minded on all fronts to ever be classed as a good GM, let alone elite.
If he leaves Montreal, he will likely not be a GM again. He might attain assistant status, but even that would be shooting above his abilities.

Reactions: Runner77

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bit of a ? move IMO. Can't see Montoya being any better than Brossoit.
He can't be much worse. Brossoit was good for a bad goal per game. He single handedly lost us a few games. Brossoit just isn't ready for the NHL. Montoya just needs to be able to be competent, and he has been in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad