Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Josh Anderson for Max Domi and 2020 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Josh Anderson is a player that everyone wants to romanticize over....

He's a forty point guy.

Montreal got hosed

Of course you wouldn't know what the value of a power forward is. You're a Leafs fan. And this guy is your GM :laugh:

cut.jpg

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
What a loser lol...Julien is known to be a good coach who has positive relationships with his players.

Is Domi still angry about not being moved to the wings and eventually to the 3rd line because he was getting outplayed by others? Oh well, Columbus' problem now.

I've met Domi on a few occasions, and as far as your opinions here on him, I'd have to agree.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If we weren't willing to pay Domi his asking price then its not getting hosed at least we got something out of Domi leaving - I really question us getting yet another winger we should have gone after another Centre imo or picks

Yup... Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Evans, Poehling... LET'S ADD A CENTER. DERP.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Of course you wouldn't know what the value of a power forward is. You're a Leafs fan. And this guy is your GM :laugh:

I mean, the Leafs have players bigger than Anderson.... Hyman isn't much smaller, and Engvall and Mikheyev are both bigger, younger and look like they'll likely be able to produce more, so it's not like the Leafs don't have "power forwards" like Anderson, probably even better.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting then that TSN reported yesterday Anderson's agent was trying to work on a long term deal in Columbus.

Always amazes me how players on the Habs are considered garbage one day, then get traded and suddenly turn into the best player since Gretzky. Truth is, Domi is a good player who was unhappy he couldn't play center in MTL. Julien was likely pissed at him and relegated him to the 4th line which in turn made Domi sour. MTL are getting in Anderson (if 100%) a great, hard nosed power forward that can put the puck in the net filling a massive hole and based on the year he had last year will likely sign a bridge deal (3-4 million per) to get a better raise down the line. This opens up some opportunities to dip into the free agent pool possibly.

Domi is in line for a hefty raise (likely 6-8 million per) and MTL didn't feel they wanted to make that investment so they traded an unhappy player at a loss to shore up an area badly needed addressing. Is it a gamble? Perhaps, but they aren't on the hook for 6-8 million unhappy cap hit for the next 3-5 years.

From CBL perspective they slot in a perfect 2nd line center with skill and power and give up a key player in their upset of the Bolts last playoffs. They walk away having addressed a big need for them and they're happy with the 3rd sweetener.

I think both teams walk away happy with this deal.

what on earth has domi done to earn 6 mil?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I mean, the Leafs have players bigger than Anderson.... Hyman isn't much smaller, and Engvall and Mikheyev are both bigger, younger and look like they'll likely be able to produce more, so it's not like the Leafs don't have "power forwards" like Anderson, probably even better.
None of those guys are even gritty, let alone power forwards..

Reactions: Dirk316

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
70 point season, regular 44-50 point scorer even with bad linemates. Bergevin going full Botteril here,except if Anderson turns into the new Tatar story.

if you're basing that on a career season, maybe.... but that's a bad idea. He's not a 70 point player, I think we all know thta.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Yup... Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Evans, Poehling... LET'S ADD A CENTER. DERP.

Danault is the only experienced player in that centre lineup which is why i suggested getting another centre back for Domi

That centre depth is not as fantastic right now as some habs fans seem to think it is. It could be great in 2-3 years the potential is there

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
if you're basing that on a career season, maybe.... but that's a bad idea. He's not a 70 point player, I think we all know thta.

Agreed, in my mind he is a 60 point second line center, able to reach 70 or to screw up and only score 50. 6m is not absurd in that context. Not sure he will fit the very defnsiv scheme in CBJ though

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I shouldn't be surprised, but I can't believe how narrow some of the takes are on this trade.

Yes, I think Montreal paid to much, but when management targets a player and has to outbid the competition, it happens. They overpaid for Edmunston and Allen too IMO!

Why are so many people comparing the two players on last year's stats, when one was clearly hurt? Isn't it fairly clear to anyone who watched Montreal last season, that Domi no longer fit the team's plans going forward?

Also, I guess not many people remember Columbus's sweep over Tampa? That series showed the value Anderson can bring to a team, it's a lot more than just points.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Whats the French word for oof

The French might go "Zut alors!"
The Quebecois might say "Ouatte de Phoque!"

@viceroy must be sh*tting his pants right now considering he wouldn't trade Domi straight up for Gaudreau,

Hello FerklundCGY! You're correct, I wouldn't have traded Max for Johnny Hockey. The Habs are trying to arm up for a possible return to the playoffs, we need warriors for that ergo Anderson. Now let's just hope Big Josh is all healed up. BTW all the best and I hope you can unload your DisneyOnIce star for a good return.

Domi is a Nylander level player with more grit and he traded him away for a guy coming off of his worst seasons ever and a third?

Yeah. I have no idea what Nylander's worth would be now. We're in uncharted territory.

The biggest need in Montreal is high end talent. We just gave a top 6 forward but did not get 1 in return. Dreadful

Wow. More negativity from our Trojan Horse fan. Anywho if Anderson's good to go we're great if not we're boned.

Wait, but I thought Habs fans didn't want to trade Domi for Gaudreau straight up?

Anderson and Johnny Hockey are very different kinds of players. First off Josh has had bigger dumps than Mr Hockey.

would rather have done Domi for Poolparty and a 3rd at least there’s potential there

Potential? You mean in the 3rd Round pick? Because just FYI Puljujarvi's a bust.

The main thing that irks me though is that this deal really feels like the Andrew Shaw trade 2.0.

Shaw had heart but was at best medium sized. Not a power forward at all.

what a great start to the off season for the habs :clap:
bravo habs bravo

Thanks Dion!

If Danault has more value then trade Danault and make Domi your #3C FFS

But Domi doesn't play sound defensive hockey like you'd want in #3C.

...enjoy losing another trade and defending your pretty hilariously bad GM of 8 years and running and still getting the Habs nowhere with an all-star goalie this whole time.

I know I keep repeating myself but what is it with these DRW fans that keep popping up in Habs threads and just spread bile? I've never given a minute's thought to the Wings. We haven't even played against each other in the playoffs in ages. *SMH*

The pick is #77. I could be off on that but -
Alex Zhamnov was selected at #77. So was Killorn and Goalie Craig Anderson...

These are 3rd round selections made since 2000 you most likely never heard of except Zhamnov of course.

Lotta people but you do realize there have been like almost 600 guys drafted in the 3rd in those past 20yrs?

Who cares if they already have 3 2nds, you can never have too many draft picks.

Of course you can. You do know there's a max amount of contracts that any NHL team can give out?

Problem with BargainBin is that...

2) Traded 2 x 2nd rounders for Shaw and traded him for a second and third.
4) Trades Galchenyuk. That trade looked terrible back then.
5) Trades Sergachev for Drouin and signs him to a bad deal. The cap went up, so it doesn't look so bad now.
7) Terrible draft years. The last 2 years are promising though.
10) Offered crazy dollars to Lucic but he chose not to come to Montreal.
11) Waited to long to trade Pacces, could of gotten a first.
12) Lowers Domi's value by adding a third and getting Rene Bourque 2.0 with Anderson.
13) Makes himself look stupid with that offer sheet to Aho.

2) So we downgraded from a 2nd to a 3rd and got some use out of Shaw?
5) Yeah that was one bad trade.
11) Complaining about the return we got for Patches?
12) So Anderson's already garbage? even before he sets foot in Montreal?
13) I'm proud of Bergevin for that. Offer Sheets are allowed and Sam Pollock would've used 'em.

problem is none of those guys are fast enough to catch Marner in a foot race and then down low Marner can get away from those slow footed guys.

Actually most of those guys are quite fast but I do agree that Marner gets rarely nailed. Due to A) He's very elusive and B) He just won't go into the corners and risk getting hurt.

You won a meaningless qualifying round against a pens team that gave exactly zero f***s. You'll be right back around 24th again this year.

Once again the DET hate brigade appears. Where is all this nastiness coming from guys? MTL doesn't hate you guys heck I bet most Habs fans still think you guys play in the Western Conference.

So, does this end the "centres have more value" talk when it comes to trades?

They have more value than most but Power Forwards are like Unicorns made out of crack cocaine to NHL GM's.

2 words : Marc Bergevin
This trade smells Cammalleri for Rene Bourque..

Julien believes he can build the Big Mighty Bruins but you also need offense. This is not the NHL of the 90s.

Why mention Cammalleri when Bergevin wasn't even our GM back then? Also Size/Toughness has just proven to be a huge factor in winning the Cup in the last 3 years. Caps, Blues and Tampa's trades have shown that embiggening your team may be required for any post season success.

...hope domi scores 50 goals next year.

I can guarantee that won't happen, that's not his game. However if you're lucky you might see 50-60pts with some tighter defensive play.

Engvall and Mikheyev are both bigger, younger and look like they'll likely be able to produce more, so it's not like the Leafs don't have "power forwards" like Anderson, probably even better.

Wait you think Engvall and Mikheyev are Power Forwards? Are you new to the sport of hockey? Ever heard of Neely or Lindros? Ask your daddy about them maybe you'll learn something or two. Maybe that hockey isn't the sport for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaPhazz

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010

Put Enngvall and Mikhevey on the market, let's see if NHL GMs think they're as good or better than Anderson

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
this may blow your mind, so I’ll ask that you sit down.....

Player value isn’t just based on points. It would take 3 Mike Hoffmans to get one ROR.

Andersons value is increased due to his size / skating / toughness. At 20/20 - and I get he may not reach that - he is a significantly more important asset then a 55 point disinterested Domi that takes bad penalties and is a give away machine. And will almost assuredly come in at a higher cap, which if you’ve been following, is a big f***ing deal these days.

A lot of talk here and I’m not buying it. He got 4 points this season and he may bounce back but Domi has outscored him every year quite handily.

This whole HF-hipster attitude of ‘points aren’t everything’ is fine and all, but points win prizes.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Wait you think Engvall and Mikheyev are Power Forwards? Are you new to the sport of hockey? Ever heard of Neely or Lindros? Ask your daddy about them maybe you'll learn something or two. Maybe that hockey isn't the sport for you.

Guys like neely and lindros dont exist in todays NHL.

And youre speaking of two favourites of mine.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Put Enngvall and Mikhevey on the market, let's see if NHL GMs think they're as good or better than Anderson
Why would the Leafs put either of them, both 24 year old big bodied forwards with enough skill that onebscored at a 50 point pace (which was andersons career high btw), the other a 30 point pace, as rookies?

They may not become stars but their performance so far, although brief, has been just as good as andersons.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
If the majority of the issue in Montreal is the idea that Domi only wants to be a top six center, well in Columbus they have been looking for that 2C for awhile.

They have the first, third line that can carry heavy matchups against tough opposition. They need that second line scoring center that doesn't have to face Bergeron/Krejci consistently.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
A lot of talk here and I’m not buying it. He got 4 points this season and he may bounce back but Domi has outscored him every year quite handily.

This whole HF-hipster attitude of ‘points aren’t everything’ is fine and all, but points win prizes.

What exactly is hipster about acknowledging that there is more to player evaluation then straight points comparison. Can’t even believe we are arguing this.

I know this opinion isn’t popular these days, but there are two sides of the ice and both sides matter equally. Some of us “hipsters” still pay attention to the details.

Huge Craig Janney fan I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad